As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do I make a wireless LAN with a bunch of computers running XP?

contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a bunch of wireless-enabled computers running Windows XP, and the room we're in gets bad wireless reception. I want to LAN them, how do I host a network on one of them and have them all connect? I know how to do it in OS X (where it's relatively easy), but for some reason it seems to be about a million times harder in XP. I've googled to no avail.... Help?

sigxw0.jpg
contraband on

• Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Create an ad-hoc network with one and have the rest connect to it?

Arrath on
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Arrath wrote: »
    Create an ad-hoc network with one and have the rest connect to it?

I've tried a couple times, and so far I've managed to make computer-to-computer network. All the walkthroughs I've found online show this network as being 'Automatic' or 'Connected,' however mine all come up as 'On Demand.' What exactly does that mean? It won't let me connect to it when I go to it, it just times out on me. I dunno what's goin' on.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    .kbf?.kbf? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    a router would make this infinitely easier although doing it ad-hoc is doable(although extremely annoying)

Under network connections

1) right click on wireless connection and click properties

2)click the "Wireless Netwrorks" tab

3)click advanced

4) put into ad hoc mode

this must be done on all computers you want in the network

.kbf? on