As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

An odd iTunes annoyance...

tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
So I recently decided to give UAC a second chance on my Vista machine (after disabling it the first day I bought it in a fit of annoyance) and have encountered an odd problem. If you rent a movie, you can't authorize it to play, because iTunes by default doesn't have edit access to its own created files.

So I set up iTunes to run as administrator, first just using the Run as Administrator option, and then using the checkbox to make it do so. This seemed fine, however when I restarted my computer and launched iTunes again UAC asked me if it was OK for iTunes to be an administrator. I said OK, but the UAC pop up had wangled with the launch order of the iTunes windows.

This meant the password box popped up before the main window, and that it was unselectable, so you couldn't enter your password or proceed (iTunes was checking to see if my rental had expired)

So I went to my registry and edited the Elevate Access Control option so that UAC doesn't prompt you for that any more (since that warning never goes away no matter how much you use a program), and now iTunes says it is running in the wrong compatability mode when I run as administrator. It still works, but the box is annoying.

Is there any way to make UAC work sensibly? Or should I just give up on it again? All it seems to do is make things difficult and annoying.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
tbloxham on

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    UAC is the devil, I can't think of a good reason to have it turned on personally.

Dixon on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It just seems like it should be a good idea to not always give everything full privileges, still, I guess I haven't found anything useful it actually does and whenever it does try and do anything I just go and turn that feature off...

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It might me more usefull the the privileges settigns seem to be so broken from what I've used of them, it's terrible for playing games as well which is a pain

Dixon on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    UAC is set up to piss you the fuck off and discourage software developers from requiring programs to have dumb access requirements like this. I recommend turning it off. I've had it off and run no firewall, no virus scanner, no spyware scanner, etc. [aside from the standard Vista Firewall/Defender] running since September of last year. I recently installed some of these programs and found a whopping... nothing infesting my computer.

Just be smart about what you use and where you go and there really is no necessity for those kinds of programs.

JAEF on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have another iTunes question, not really related. I can't add any videos to iTunes. I have two AVIs on my computer I want to add to iTunes to put on the new iPod I just got, but when I add them using iTunes nothing happens, and when I try to drag them in to iTunes it gives me a big NO sign (red circle with the cross through it, the whole deal). iTunes help tells me that the iPod can only play videos that Quicktime player can play. Gee, this is funny, because quicktime can play AVIs. I can open the AVIs in question in Quicktime player. Why the fuck can't I import them?

Snork on