As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Character Design

DSilDSil Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Artist's Corner
Here's some character designs I've been working on for an animation project I'm doing with a friend of mine. The premise is LOOSELY based on an ancient Indian myth:

A hungry BOY is led by a helpful BIRD to a mango orchard. After taking the mangos, the boy is pursued by a false ASCETIC (who owns the orchard), and hijinks ensue. After finally escaping, the boy prepares to eat the mangos, but the BIRD turns into a GODlike deity, and takes the mangos. The whole thing will be set to music, and the animation style is intended to by goofy and Looney-Tunes-esque.

The descriptions of the characters I was given are:

BOY : Skinny, small, with white shorts and a huge sombrero. Carefree attitude evoking Curious George.

BIRD : Generic cutesy cartoon bird

ASCETIC : Angry, robe & sandal clad

GOD : chubby, jovial, wears a turban, has a face VAGUELY resembling Louis Armstrong

Aaaand here's my designs (posted kinda big, so all the characters look clear. Also they're not to scale). There's several versions of each character, I'd love to hear which you prefer, as well as overall crits and suggestions. Again, these are just rough designs, I'm more concerned with basic visual impression than drawing quality. Much thanks!

Character_Designs_by_DSil.jpg

DSil on

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    God has some kind of spinal injury.....he's leaning backwards in every frame.......I think you're setting the heads too far back.
    Some real nice linework though.

Mustang on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kinda has a "too cheap for disney" feel. Nice clean lines, lacking in stylistic cues that might pin it to one artist or genre or movement. Non-threatening. That's probably great if you're going for a younger audience.

Shouldn't the kid be wearing sandals instead of lace up sneakers? Just a thought.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Since you're doing animation, you probably already know about this, but in case you missed it: John K's blog is awesome. During the last month or so, he has been posting some interesting stuff on character design specifically, which may inspire you. http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/

I'm not that big a fan of the ellbow curls... i think those peeked during disney's Hercules days... and they only look really good if the swooshing is incorperated in every aspect of your design.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    DSilDSil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have seen John K's blog, and it's amazing! I kind of agree about the spirals, it was just an experiment. Thanks for the crits, guys!

DSil on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    you might be interested in seeing some of the stuff available over at animationmentor.com. Sign up for their newsletter, they've always got fantastic stuff in there.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png