As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Secretive Organization Running the American Government (for Jesus!)

TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
edited June 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
I was listening to NPR's Diane Rehm show today. Rehm was interviewing Jeff Sharlet, whose book overviews the secretive, elitist political organization known as "The Family" link
NPR wrote:
It's one of the most influential and least well known organizations in the country. The Family, also known as The Fellowship, consider themselves followers of Christ, and individuals responsible for changing the the world.

Basically, this group consists of leaders of industry as well as congressmen and other political leaders. Sharlet describes their ideology as being totally focused on Jesus to the exclusion of all other scripture, yet they have no qualms about propping up non-Christian dictators. In a sort of neo-Calvinist viewpoint, The Family believes that powerful and wealthy people are powerful and wealthy because God has found them deserving. This viewpoint is apparent in their imperialist dealings.

Sharlet mentions that while more traditional evangelical groups might hear a faith-based speaker at their meetings, The Family heard from, for example, the Prime Minister of Norway.

So: Is this surprising or worrisome to anyone? If such a group exists, is there anything we as citizens can really do about it? Without the attention of mainstream media, how likely is the public to show any interest in their Congressman greasing a dictator at a prayer breakfast in exchange for that Congressman's main financial backer receiving a no-bid natural gas contract?

It is apparent that private interests hold a great deal of sway in Washington, but to hear of a group that is so actively pursuing back-room foreign policy decisions in such a direct and lucrative way, all while maintaining an eerie level of invisibility, is unusual.

TL DR on

• Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So Illuminati 2.0?

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    So Illuminati 2.0?
    My first response, too.

Just because it's on NPR doesn't necessarily mean it's real, and yes I'm aware that there are a small number of decision makers that make decisions for me, many of questionable nature.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sounds like a bunch of anti-Christian hype, actually. And I'm not even a big fan of Christians.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's both BS and it is not. A tremendous number of institutions, individuals, and organizations control US government policy. Thousands and thousands. This is normal, part of the democratic process. Lots of them are secretive, well-connected, and wealthy. Others are public and wealthy, others are secretive and poor, etc, etc.

The existence of groups like this is just part of democracy. So long as they don't do anything illegal, there is nothing wrong with their, well, existing. Obviously the ideology is odious and disagreeable, but that's why all the hundreds and hundreds of countervailing organizations exist to tilt and tug on policy makers.

Professor Phobos on