As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Caring for pained rotator cuffs

SpecularitySpecularity Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I feel like I've injured or hurt my rotator cuffs. It started a while back in tae kwon do, and now the pain is back. Specifically, in both arms (my right moreso -- I'm right-handed), if I move them a certain way (overhead movements or across-the-body movements) I get this painful sort of cracking/grinding sensation in the shoulder area. I figure it's been antagonized by my work; I mop at a bar, so the mopping action, plus scrubbing sinks and toilets, then taking down ~60 barstools from tall tables. I have some glucosamine supplements that my mom recommended I take, so I've been popping a couple of those a day.

Is this something I should be overly concerned about? They don't hurt all day and I haven't noticed any profound weakness, so I don't think I've torn anything, but I never did sports or anything so I'm not sure I'd know what to look for. Is there any care I could/should do on my own, or should I go to the health center? If so, do I need to immediately? Could I go to the trainers at my university's rec center instead?

Please help! I don't want my arms to fall off.

Specularity on

• Options
    BronzeDuckBronzeDuck Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Go to the health center, not immediately, but soon. If it actually is your rotator cuffs, they're most likely going to give you some strong anti-inflammatories and tell you to rest the shoulder. They may also prescribe some physical therapy. I would strongly suggest following their orders. I went through this a while back and had to do 6 weeks of rest and anti-inflammatories and that seemed to do the trick.

BronzeDuck on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You definitely don't want to f-up your rotator cuffs.

Once the pain is gone, start doing some light exercises to build up their overall strength. I stress light, because it's VERY easy to overexert those particular muscles.

Iceman.USAF on