As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Meta all up inz: Posting styles

real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
What factors influence the way that you post in this forum? In other forums?

For me, the biggest influence on the way I post would have to be the large amount of time I have spent talking to people in Instant Messenger or chat rooms. Part of that comes from having a long distance girlfriend for more than a year, and part of that comes from the fact that most of my experience with girls who were interested in me in high school happened to be with girls who lived states away. Regardless, sometimes I feel awkward because my posts have a little quirks in them, especially when I'm writing unimportant posts. For example, I have a tendency to open or end my sentences with words like "hehe" or "haha" because it's a habit I developed in IM.

I could imagine other things influencing your posting style -- other forumers, a specific forum you went to, a love for blogging, etc. This influence could come in the form of formatting, word choice, or any other small aspect in the way you communicate in your posts.

Edit: It's vaguely ironic that this post is actually more poorly written than my average "serious" post.

real_pochacco on

• Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't think this really counts as a posting style, but I delete about 2/3 of the posts I write, not as in post them then edit, I'll write it out and go "nah, no point" and hit the back button. So I guess if I had to pick a style it would be indecisive, with poor sentence structure as a secondary

edit: this probly should have been one of those posts :P

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Chaos TheoryChaos Theory Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm a little more conservative with posting on PA than elsewhere, and I couldn't say why. Anyway, in smarter threads I post smarter, in dumber threads I post dumber (I fail to take them seriously). I treat [chat] like instant messaging, almost.

Chaos Theory on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This was and is my first forum and I've never really cheated on her, so if anything the posting styles of people on here has influenced my own writing style more so than other, external aspects impacting how I write here. Otherwise I type how I generally talk, only more polished thanks to following the etiquette of others beyond the endless September, and with far more grammatical symbols than my standby, a short pause. Also, I use the word also a hell of a lot more, and the word 'like' a hell of a lot less when compared to normal dialogue. Plus I cannot lime other people's thoughts in real life unless there is a blender present.

I sometimes add nonsequitor quips or tangentially related items in a separate line at the end for no real reason beyond being a smartass.

moniker on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The neurotoxins.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The forumer who most influenced my nonserious posting would be Pony, heh.

Edit: Goddamnit, see what I mean?

real_pochacco on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i post like i'm in an eternal orgasm

MikeMan on
    edited July 2008
    I should add, I think the ability to attach youtube vids o posts is the worst travesty to befall this forum since linksville. Part of me knows I shouldn't be doing things like this (for my own sanity let alone others), yet it's so hard not to tack videos onto posts sometimes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vbnLYROCj8

oh Balki, if there's a world in which you don't make me laugh, I don't want to know about it

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »

Are you?

moniker on
    edited July 2008
    moniker wrote: »

Are you?

...maybe

MikeMan on
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Before posting I fill a blender with 6 shots of Espresso, concentrated rage, and a liter of concentrated sarcasm. Then using ancient rituals I summon forth Zorag Sar one of the long forgotten gods of cynicism . I then proceed to milk nameless horror, much like you would a cat. Taking these reagents I trek through the 12 nameless voids to the dark altar of literary atrocities. There, I consume the pre-prepared hate filled brew, and using my new found strength reach through time to tear the still beating heart from one of histories great writers. Placing the heart upon the altar I proceed to craft my post much as Nostradamus started into his bowl and wrote words of prophecy and doom.

I must write quickly, for while the heart will only continue to beat for a short time. For once it stops beating the heart will be drawn deep into the altar. Where the creative forces of its original owner will be broken by rack and fire. Until the twisted shell that remains is sent to be reborn with a powerful need to write books so horribly written, so unspeakably bad, that they are guaranteed best sellers. Recommended only by Oprah and 4 of the 7 nameless horrors.

Then my work complete, I proceed to the kitchen to prepare dinner, or possible play a video game of some sort.

Detharin on
    edited July 2008
    moniker wrote: »

Are you?

...maybe

Wanna make that a yes? :winky:

Oh, yeah, I'm way more homoerotic on the boards than anywhere else.

moniker on
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My posting style derives partially from years of email and some experience on Usenet, but the primary influence has been this forum. The three years I’ve spent here have given me a far better sense of how to tell jokes, how to banter, how to make stupid posts that look intelligent, and a contempt of various clichés and writing styles. I write in a more formal manner than I speak, or at least more refined. There are also quirks of unknown origin, such as my subconscious habit of consonance and.

I’m sure I’ve picked up bits and bobs from actual writing, though I doubt I could point to anything specific.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i post like i'm an eternal orgasm

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mostly influenced by how other people post. If I notice myself doing something constantly, it really annoys me (it's like starting every sentence with 'then' when you're a little kid reciting a story). In SE I have a habit of going 'event x happened to person y, it was so z', for example.

L|ama on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    I don't think this really counts as a posting style, but I delete about 2/3 of the posts I write, not as in post them then edit, I'll write it out and go "nah, no point" and hit the back button.

This is what I do pretty often on this forum, might be my inner lurker.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't think this really counts as a posting style, but I delete about 2/3 of the posts I write, not as in post them then edit, I'll write it out and go "nah, no point" and hit the back button. So I guess if I had to pick a style it would be indecisive, with poor sentence structure as a secondary

I do that too, I mostly think whatever I have to say will be said better by someone else.

I'm very self conscious and probably overly honest. mikeman said I post like I am in real life though so that actually makes me happy. I wouldn't want to be like, playing a character on here.

edit - I don't really get on in other forums. I guess because I've been here for so long I always feel like I'm not gonna jive with the way they do shit. I post on the View Askew forums every so often, like if I'm up late and it gets slow here, and they're alright. I also post on a bluray forum at work a LOT because there is no way for me to get here and I need me some forum time... and I get on there fine too but it's a weird crowed. I mean, for me it's fun because I'm so not in it the way they are, but watching fanboys of a goddamn media format is WEIRD SHIT MAN. I like blu-ray and all but COME ON!

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008

Same here. I'll write a post out, decide I don't like how it's structured, and rather than rewrite it, just won't bother posting it at all.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited July 2008

Same here. I'll write a post out, decide I don't like how it's structured, and rather than rewrite it, just won't bother posting it at all.

Wow I'm suprised at how many other people do this. Imagine the post whores we all could be if we didn't actually read our posts before submitting them

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've recently started to pay more attention to my posts, using the preview feature to scan them over and edit them for spelling and the like, which I think is a good thing.

I go one better when it comes to deleting posts before I post them: I usually don't even bother writing them if I don't think I have something useful to say. I find that, especially in G&T, people are more interested in spreading rumours and hype than having constructive discussions, so that's scared me off.

And lately I've felt the urge to write out huge posts (example) and they seem to get ignored, so I just fume to myself.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Posting styles, hm?

I pretty much post the same way I talk. If I were reading out the posts, it'd be hard to really tell a difference. Everything needs to be perfect, though: I'll go back and edit my posts for the tiniest mistake.

It's very pleasing to see the amount of spelling and grammar that people use here, heh. It's very easy to read, after all, so I attempt to do the same.

(Yeah, I'm guilty of deleting posts I'm about to make because of a disliked structure too.)

Hylianbunny on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Page- wrote: »
    I've recently started to pay more attention to my posts, using the preview feature to scan them over and edit them for spelling and the like, which I think is a good thing.

I somehow manage to overlook spelling errors (usually only a word or two) and some things that could be worded better in the preview at least 1/3 of the time, and don't notice them until I'm reading the post again after I submit it. Then it gets a ninja edit within a minute of me maeking poast :P

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Ah man. Someone already beat me to this.

Fucker.

I guess the only difference is that I swear a hell of a lot more.

Gorilla Salad on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would describe my posting styles these days as: intermittent

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Huh.

I didn't think this posting "style" thing was really that big of a deal. Or that there were styles at all.

Learn something new every day I guess.

Godfather on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would call my style "PoMo SurrEoR Embargostonation."

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I put far too much effort into getting my posts phrased exactly right.

Also I am prone to linking disparate fragments of thought together by gratuitous use of the word 'also'.

Also also I use too many big words.

Crimson King on
  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Man, I do the same thing. I write out a 2-3 paragraph reply and then just decide "Nah, it isn't worth it / no point."

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
    edited July 2008
    Something that does bug me is whenever posters overuse italics and bold font for no good reason. If done right they can enhance the humor of a story or situation, but too much of it is just annoying. I'm talking italicizing every other damn word with at least two to three bolded phrases in a paragraph.

It's not funny or interesting; you aren't Tycho, stop trying so hard. A few posters around here do this, and even a moderator has this problem.

Who these people are however, is not something i'm going to reveal :P

Godfather on
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    Something that does bug me is whenever posters overuse italics and bold font for no good reason. If done right they can enhance the humor of a story or situation, but too much of it is just annoying. I'm talking italicizing every other damn word with at least two to three bolded phrases in a paragraph.

It's not funny or interesting; you aren't Tycho, stop trying so hard. A few posters around here do this, and even a moderator has this problem.

But Godfather! Isn't it just plain fun to italicize text? You know it. Don't deny.

:P

Hylianbunny on
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

But Godfather! Isn't it just plain fun to italicize text? You know it. Don't deny.

:P

I was gonna post something here about irony working better in text then in reality, but instead I pulled a Fleck0.

If this gets any more meta I may explode.

Crimson King on
    edited July 2008
    I'm talking about the guys who are just terrible at implementing it in a post. The kind of posters where you can't help but trip over italics and bold words, where almost every word is literally either encased with those or tags.

Bad form gentlemen.

Godfather on
  • Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    KungFu wrote: »

Man, I do the same thing. I write out a 2-3 paragraph reply and then just decide "Nah, it isn't worth it / no point."

I had no idea this is such a common thing. Happens to me too.

I do notice I have a complete inability to make long posts. I'll type 2 or 3 paragraphs (of 3 to 4 lines each) in the Reply to Thread box, then when I click "Submit Reply" I see my posts appear as only 3 lines of text and I kinda feel disappointed.

Like what I'm going to do now.

(Not that I'm saying long posts are always good, but sometimes I feel as though I don't contribute very much to a discussion this way.)

Chrono Helix on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I used to post fairly big posts in another forum, but here I just know that somebody will actually bother to do a point-by-point rebuttal.

L|ama on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I don't see the problem with italics. Boldification for no damn good reason is annoying, yes, but italics are incredibly useful.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I don't see the problem with italics. Boldification for no damn good reason is annoying, yes, but italics are incredibly useful.
    I am agreeing with this. Italics help a lot. Bold, well, bold is a different matter - distracts more from the flow of a paragraph. Italics is just a transitory stress placed on a particular word.

electricitylikesme on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Detharin wrote: »
    Before posting I fill a blender with 6 shots of Espresso, concentrated rage, and a liter of concentrated sarcasm. Then using ancient rituals I summon forth Zorag Sar one of the long forgotten gods of cynicism . I then proceed to milk nameless horror, much like you would a cat. Taking these reagents I trek through the 12 nameless voids to the dark altar of literary atrocities. There, I consume the pre-prepared hate filled brew, and using my new found strength reach through time to tear the still beating heart from one of histories great writers. Placing the heart upon the altar I proceed to craft my post much as Nostradamus started into his bowl and wrote words of prophecy and doom.

I must write quickly, for while the heart will only continue to beat for a short time. For once it stops beating the heart will be drawn deep into the altar. Where the creative forces of its original owner will be broken by rack and fire. Until the twisted shell that remains is sent to be reborn with a powerful need to write books so horribly written, so unspeakably bad, that they are guaranteed best sellers. Recommended only by Oprah and 4 of the 7 nameless horrors.

Then my work complete, I proceed to the kitchen to prepare dinner, or possible play a video game of some sort.

Bashing your head repeatedly into the keyboard would probably have the same effect, and save considerable time and effort.

I just vent, mostly. I'm actually very quiet IRL.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    I tend to be too polite and nonconfrontational. Also I generally give the mods the benefit of the doubt when maybe I should stand my ground a little more.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • trevelliantrevellian Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What factors influence the way that you post in this forum?

Years of lurking/posting on usenet newsgroups.

mainly uk.rec.motorcycles, but also rec.motorcycles, uk.rec.sheds, sci.physics and several others.

Best newsgroups for starting flamewars were the science and philosophy ones, *especially* the philosophy newsgroups.

8-)

trevellian on
    McGough_EA.png
    edited July 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    Bashing your head repeatedly into the keyboard would probably have the same effect, and save considerable time and effort.

I just vent, mostly. I'm actually very quiet IRL.

I could totally see that.

I'm not so much on the quiet IRL. I get into long, heated debates with people fairly often.

MikeMan on
  • Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    KungFu wrote: »

This.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]