As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

KOTOR MMO officially confirmed (No, seriously)

MorithainMorithain Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
One of the worst kept secrets in all of recent video-gamedom has been confirmed by EA, BioWare is working on a KOTOR MMO:

http://kotaku.com/5026492/yep-next-kotor-is-mmo

All I can say is, it's about damn time we got some solid confirmation.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Morithain on

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    SWG and DDO have taught me that I shouldn't give a damn until 4 months after release and people are still playing it.

Jasconius on
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm pumped. Who wants to form a guild?

(Stupid game probably won't be out for 2+ years)

YodaTuna on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    YodaTuna wrote: »

Sure, we need a sweet name though.

Also, holy shit you are from Maple Grove, what school did/do you go to?

Fizban140 on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    While the Star Wars fanboy in me is obviously interested in finally being able to play a good Star Wars MMO, it better not actually be called, or be a replacement for, KOTOR 3. I still god damned want another single-player KOTOR.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • MorithainMorithain Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I'd keep an open mind, since they didn't say KOTOR 3 wasn't happening, they just said BioWare was making a KOTOR MMO (which could very well take place before the first game) so a third in the single-player series in definitely still a possibility until EA or BioWare says otherwise.

Morithain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    YodaTuna wrote: »

Sure, we need a sweet name though.

Also, holy shit you are from Maple Grove, what school did/do you go to?

I grew up in northern minnesota. Moved to the cities for work/school.

YodaTuna on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm calling it. It's a Willow MMO.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    While the Star Wars fanboy in me is obviously interested in finally being able to play a good Star Wars MMO, it better not actually be called, or be a replacement for, KOTOR 3. I still god damned want another single-player KOTOR.

there is still some debate as to whether or not this is replacing KOTOR3. at the very least it seems that Bioware have denied that they are developing it.

its possible that it is still being developed by someone else. perhaps Obsidian are being given a proper crack at the series this time around.

Wraith260 on
  • iSnortRitaliniSnortRitalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The fact that Bioware is making the KOTOR MMO is GFG. I can't think of another company that I would want to give birth to my newest SW-based addiction! *sniffle*

iSnortRitalin on
    "I feel like a cranky old man, just bringing this up, but there's alot of you here... so would you do me a favor? When you're playing online.. Have fun.. but don't be a dick, ok?" -Wil Wheaton PAX 2007

LOTRO - Main: Mikkyo, Elf Hunter
    Alt: Raahl, Human Warden
    WOW - Main: Trulku (retired)
    AOC - Retired.. what a let down....
    SWTOR - can't fu*kin wait!!
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm not wetting my pants in excitement or anything, but when/if this game comes out I will absolutely give it a try.

Regina Fong on
    edited July 2008
    There are so many question marks that can make or break this game.

I think a lot of it falls under how they choose to do combat, and following that, if the game will feature meaningful PVP at the end game.

I personally envision something in the same vein as DDO in terms of game play. With Bioware at the helm that format could be pretty awesome.

Jasconius on
    edited July 2008
    Jasconius wrote: »
    There are so many question marks that can make or break this game.

I think a lot of it falls under how they choose to do combat, and following that, if the game will feature meaningful PVP at the end game.

I personally envision something in the same vein as DDO in terms of game play. With Bioware at the helm that format could be pretty awesome.

well right now all we have is confirmation that its being worked on, so we're free to speculate on everything else.

personally, i'm expecting an evolution on Mass Effects combat system, with abilities/skills mapped to hot keys.

Wraith260 on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Will there be robes? Specifically, robes with hoods?

This is what really matters.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i am wary of this. bioware, i hope you're ready for this.

tyrannus on
    edited July 2008
    deowolf wrote: »

i have absolutely no doubts that this is the first thing they tackled. robes, hoods and the combination of the two. second on the list was of course masks and mechanical jaws. :P

Wraith260 on
  • Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

heh, I remember how difficult that was for SOE to put into SWG... So nuts.

edit: I'll be intrigued to see if there's a crafting system, classes outside of Jedi, and whether the faction system will be better than most, seeing as you've got the Sith in control most of the time.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am giving this game the MMO Mod blessing.

Thus it shall be good, or my eternal smiting shall...smite on it.

Scooter on
    edited July 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    I am giving this game the MMO Mod blessing.

Thus it shall be good, or my eternal smiting shall...smite on it.

thats all well and good, but are you willing to eat your own cock it turns out bad? surely that's the true mark of PA Confidence.

Wraith260 on
    edited July 2008
    I've tried and all it does is give me back strain. :(

Scooter on
    edited July 2008
    I've tried and all it does is give me back strain. :(

then i guess i could(or couldn't) say that you're a bigger man than I, but either way it sounds bad so.... yeah.... :oops:

Wraith260 on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This certainly is the best Star Wars setting I know of for an MMO.

But I'll have to keep my eyes away from this lest I be sucked in.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited July 2008
    Wraith260 wrote: »

i have absolutely no doubts that this is the first thing they tackled. robes, hoods and the combination of the two. second on the list was of course masks and mechanical jaws. :P

I am also curious about jaunty vests and the ability to wear only one (1 or I) glove.

deowolf on
  • ZoldenZolden Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm intrigued, I enjoyed kotor to an extent but thought co-oping it or some mp would do much better.

I wonder if it'll be console or pc only or both ala biowares traditions... and whether or not the two, if there may be, will be combined on servers. (I think controller + msging pad would make it applicable without a full kb on xbox).

Also really waiting to hear on or see combat... for some reason "auto attack on" and watching my guy swing a lightsaber sounds like the mmo's I began playing in 1999 with a SW skin.

Zolden on
  • artifexiteartifexite Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Can I go blaster jedi? That's all that really matters. Blaster jedi.

artifexite on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't know about this. I loved Kotor, but the things I loved in Kotor (or any bioware rpg) and the things I love in the MMOs I play aren't the same things.

Although maybe this will be a new kind of MMO.

-SPI- on
    edited July 2008
    Zolden wrote: »
    Also really waiting to hear on or see combat... for some reason "auto attack on" and watching my guy swing a lightsaber sounds like the mmo's I began playing in 1999 with a SW skin.

But on the other hand - it's like the mmo's you began playing in 1999 with a SW skin!!!!

deowolf on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm cautiously excited about this.

On the one hand Bioware makes good stuff, and this is Star Wars. The potential for a game that will finally slake my internet spaceship lust is there. On the other hand, Bioware hasn't made an MMO before, both the KOTOR releases were pretty buggy, and let's face it, EA does not have a particularly good track record (nor does the franchise itself.)

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I don't know about this. I loved Kotor, but the things I loved in Kotor (or any bioware rpg) and the things I love in the MMOs I play aren't the same things.

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking.

The awesome KOTOR storyline that meant your choices affected people was :^:.

The wonderful conversation system was :^:.

The chance to make Bastilla give up her life for your penis was :^:.

These have not yet translated well to MMOs. Apart from the last one.

Lewisham on
  • AeonfellAeonfell Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think this game needs to really take Guild-Wars style cutscenes to the next level to be awesome.

In that I mean, cutscenes that show your character with specific dialague and your "party" doing cool, badass, star warsey stuff based on what they are. I quit SWG on the first day after the 19th "go kill womp rats at a tiny spawn hut" quest, so I really hope Bioware can breathe some life into this one.

Aeonfell on
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »

On the one hand Bioware makes good stuff, and this is Star Wars. The potential for a game that will finally slake my internet spaceship lust is there. On the other hand, Bioware hasn't made an MMO before, both the KOTOR releases were pretty buggy, and let's face it, EA does not have a particularly good track record (nor does the franchise itself.)

That Bioware hasn't made an MMO before is hardly a strike against them. Most MMO's made to date that were worth playing were not made by companies with any background in making MMO's. And most sequels to MMO's have been lackluster, so what does previous experience really count for?

Yoshua on
    edited July 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »

Well, there's things to love about KOTOR in terms of gameplay, there's also things to love about the setting.

There really needs to be more sci-fi MMOs. I think this is a pretty damn ideal setting for that.

Septus on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    KOTOR ONLINE SPOILER:
    This time, EVERYONE is Darth Revan!

SammyF on
    edited July 2008
    Yoshua wrote: »

That Bioware hasn't made an MMO before is hardly a strike against them. Most MMO's made to date that were worth playing were not made by companies with any background in making MMO's. And most sequels to MMO's have been lackluster, so what does previous experience really count for?

Looking at the MMOs popular here, WoW, CoX and I think EVE were all 1st-time MMOs for their developer. Not sure about AoC.

Scooter on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yoshua wrote: »

Looking at the MMOs popular here, WoW, CoX and I think EVE were all 1st-time MMOs for their developer. Not sure about AoC.

AoC is Funcom's 2nd MMO. Anarchy Online was the first, IIRC. That game had a pretty horrible launch, too.

SammyF on
    edited July 2008
    Wraith260 wrote: »

I am also curious about jaunty vests and the ability to wear only one (1 or I) glove.

what about hats? do you like hats? you've gotta have hats!

Wraith260 on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bear in mind that the team developing the KOTOR MMO is Bioware Austin, not the Vancouver team. Bioware formed its Austin studio for the express purpose of finding talented people who have backgrounds in MMO development, and Austin is one of the hot-spots for such things. Bioware as a whole may not have much experience in the MMO department, but it's a fairly safe bet that the developers Bioware Austin has hired over time do.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited July 2008
    artifexite wrote: »
    Can I go blaster jedi? That's all that really matters. Blaster jedi.

We're sorry, but the name "Ky1e |<atarn" has already been taken.

Jasconius on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The ability to play as a jawa would make this a day 1 purchase for me.

Come on bioware, make it happen.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm so on the shelf about this. On the one hand: HOLY SHIT STAR WARS MMO.

But on the other hand, having limited experience in SWG taught me something I pretty much already knew: Given the choice, everyone and their mother will be a Jedi. Which only leaves 3 possible paths:

1) no one can play as a jedi at all
    2) No one starts as a jedi, but after months of grinding you can unlock jedi as a hero class
    3) everyone has to be a jedi or sith.

The problem with number 1 is that it will kill a lot of the interest for this game for a lot of people who want to have a light saber.

The problem with 2 is that it will drive away the casuals or semi-casuals who don't like the idea of grinding for months before they can finally play the game with the character they want. This might not seem like a big deal, but in the age of WoW, the casuals are a big deal.

Number 3 seems the most obvious way to go, but something about the fact that the jedi population will outnumber the npc population seems kind of funny, but not as funny as:

"Ah xXxleetkillerxXx, I have heard much about you young padawan. Go kill 30 womprats for me, I need their tails for some reason."

Dissociater on
    edited July 2008
    Well, this is the KOTOR MMO, so Jedis are relatively plentiful. I don't think the quantity should be an issue, maybe you have something with the quests, but you did some fairly boring stuff early on in KOTOR as well.

But, I think you're going to have a sizable contingent of Mandalorians, like 20-30%.

Septus on