As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox Live Problem: aka "The Tale of Two 360s"

AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur.Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
Alright, so here is my problem.

My roommate and I each have a Xbox 360 complete with out own Live accounts. Both 360s are connected to the same router via an ethernet cord. If I connect to Xbox Live it disconnects him from Xbox Live, if he connects then I get disconnected. Which is a bit of a problem for us.

Anyone here have an idea how to fix this?

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
Axen on

• Options
    wyrlsswyrlss Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Axen wrote: »
    Alright, so here is my problem.

My roommate and I each have a Xbox 360 complete with out own Live accounts. Both 360s are connected to the same router via an ethernet cord. If I connect to Xbox Live it disconnects him from Xbox Live, if he connects then I get disconnected. Which is a bit of a problem for us.

Anyone here have an idea how to fix this?

Perhaps you should get another ethernet cord.

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Challenge him to Pon farr.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you're at a school on a LAN and not a cable modem or such, the solution is simple.

Pop open the router's control panel and turn off the DHCP service. Be absolutely sure to do this or else there will be trouble in the next step.

Now, unplug the ethernet cable coming from the wall and insert it into one of the regular wired ports, not the "uplink" port it was in.

Make sure both 360s are registered with the campus network or whatever you would have needed to do if they were wired directly from the wall.

Enjoy.

Note: This setup may not offer optimal performance depending on the router but it should work well enough. Surely better than it works now.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    wyrlss wrote: »

Perhaps you should get another ethernet cord.

We each have our own cord. Unless you were being sarcastic then in that case, thats what she said! Heyoo!
    titmouse wrote: »
    Challenge him to Pon farr.

Well where I am from it would be a Hockey Face Off, but the principle is the same.

ZackSchilling, while that does sound helpful I haven't been on a campus in years. This is my house and its just a normal modem-router setup.

Axen on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, I guess I'm out of ideas. What you're doing should work by all means. People on the internet seem to do it regularly.

I have to ask then, is the router actually a router? What does the 360 that can get online say its IP is? If it's not 192.168.1.whatever, then you don't have the right equipment or the right setup.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well, I guess I'm out of ideas. What you're doing should work by all means. People on the internet seem to do it regularly.

I have to ask then, is the router actually a router? What does the 360 that can get online say its IP is? If it's not 192.168.1.whatever, then you don't have the right equipment or the right setup.

The IPs are .101 and .102 so that should be good. Right now I am trying a different router to see if that works.

Also I should note that we have had this setup for a long time with no problems, then about a week or so ago *poof* we have to take turns. I can't honestly remember anything we might have done to upset the natural order.

Axen on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bitch at your ISP.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's almost certainly the router. You could try resetting everything to factory standards but I doubt it.

Any power surges lately?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Try enabling uPnP on your router. Then reboot the router, followed by the 360s.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You shouldnt have to change any settings, if you had any storms in your area lately the router is probly fucked up. Even if you didnt the router still sounds fucked up, any sudden changes in hardware performance with no change in configuration usually means the hardware is bad.

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well the new router works fine. You guys were right, it must have been the old router. Why it would just up and crap out on me like that I haven't the foggiest. I suppose this thread can be locked now. Or used for whatever other problems people are having.

edit- We did have a pretty big lightning storm awhile back. I wasn't home during it, though my roommate said the power to the house did go out for awhile.

Axen on