As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

bruce's art

Bruce's Bar and GrillBruce's Bar and Grill Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Artist's Corner
Hey people. Ive been into drawing for a long time now and thought id post some of my pictures up. Im not the best drawer, and dont do art classes or anything. all my work is done self tought. im hoping to get a job in video games as a character designer.

Gordon Freeman (Half Life series)
47287136wh8.jpg

Leon Kennedy Resident Evil
20786420gl7.jpg

Leon Digital
leontu8.jpg

Leon Action Shot
80729489dj8.jpg

Zecks (Gundam Wing)
73729327tr3.jpg

Bruce's Bar and Grill on

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Here's a few tips:

Start drawing basic geometric shapes as the form of the characters. Right now the figures are very flat.

Draw long lines. Small, sketchy lines do not invoke confidence. They make it looks messy.

Draw some stuff from real life. Photos are okay when you are an experienced artist, but it's tough to beat something you can see with your own eyes.

Practice, practice, practice.

Good luck.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    leontu8.jpg

This needs work.

If you want to digitally colour a piece, you're going to need to pencil it, ink it, scan it in, and then clean it up.

Pretty much once you're finished your sketch, you want to take some kind of inking instrument (a nib pen, inking marker, or a fine inking brush, NOT a ballpoint pen or sharpie marker), and go over your finished pencil with nice, accenting lines.

free_comic_day_girl.jpg
    These are not the world's greatest inks, but they're at least clean.

Once you have them on the page, then you can erase your original pencil lines, and scan in your cleaned-up inks in [BITMAP / TEXT / LINE ART ] mode.

Once you have the lines in photoshop, put them on their own multiply layer above all the other layers, and apply your colours underneath them. This will let you avoid those bad magic-wand problems you're having with his hair and other edges.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    thanks for the comments rolo and nib. ive done a new digital picture of leon kennedy. my brother showed me a few techniques for colouring and tone using the burn tool. i drew it out with pencil and set the layer to multiply. made it so much easier than coloring around the lines. have some other drawings i still need to scan. anyway here it is.

(i apologise if this picture makes anyone feel uncomfortable)

leonkennedyfm6.jpg

Bruce's Bar and Grill on
  • Options
    Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It makes me uncomfortable, but not for the same reason you think it might make me uncomfortable.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    hahah is it just me or does it look like he's covering that masked thing's mouth
    shhh shhh sweetheart, shhh my darling, it's going to be alright shhhhh

beavotron on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Whats a useless comment creambun

I think you might want to go back to the basics here. There are a ton of issues with the drawing, so much so in places it's hard to tell whats going on.

Technical skill aside, it looks like you didn't try very hard. I don't know how long this took you, but it is incredibly sloppy. First off, you didn't even color in the lines! The jacket line is going over the gun, you didn't color in his left hand, you didn't draw their legs out fully, I cant even tell if you drew hands for the chainsaw guy, and there are multiple lines meant to indicate leon's face.

I would give you the age old start out on paper monologue, but when you do, make sure you put in some freaking effort, man. This stuff doesn't get good all by itself.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    JivesJives Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you are wanting to be a character designer, one would assume it would be best to, you know, design new characters

so, draw Georgie McLoon, a Saudi Arabian mechanic who believes himself to be a wild west law keeper after a bizzare incident involving a crate of bicycle chains.

Jives on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    thanks for the comments everyone.

Sublimus - you are right, i didnt put in enough effort into my drawing. my brother gave me his old tablet and i was practicing coloring with it. here is a new picture i did. took me a while to get the colors right. It is a poster i did for the new clone wars movie, which i cant wait to see. i referenced an official poster with all the characters but i just wanted to do yoda leading the clone troops.

BTW forgot to mention my brother helped a bit

clonewarswy2.jpg

Bruce's Bar and Grill on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    what did your brother help with?

beavotron on
  • Options
    robotsintheskiesrobotsintheskies Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    His mouth / face in general seems a bit off.

robotsintheskies on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    what did your brother help with?

he helped me with the highlights with the lightsaber and pointed out where tone didnt look right.

Bruce's Bar and Grill on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you really want to do this then I suggest you stop with these full blown pieces and just start drawing with a pencil and a sketchbook and learn how to construct a face, an arm, a hand, a leg etc. At the moment you're trying to run before you can walk

Mustang on
  • Options
    Wonder BreadWonder Bread Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Go to your local library and take out a couple books on how to draw. Hard cover ones. Ones without bright cartoons walking you through the steps.
    Read these and do the exercises. That step is important. Do the exercises in the book and practice. Practice hard, then repeat.

Wonder Bread on
  • Options
    ArfenhouseArfenhouse Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hell if you can afford it, take an art class. Practice practice practice. And don't ever think you're better than you really are. It's humility that makes an artist better. Not that I'm saying you think that, just don't get ahead of yourself.

At your skill level you should be looking into drawing from life with a simple pencil and sketchpad, not working with Photoshop and drawing figures from memory or of all things ANIME.

And stop listening to your brother unless what he says is "stop drawing this and grab a pencil and paper." He's not helping you. Burn tool is a no-no.

Arfenhouse on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Listen to the advice here. Draw as frequently as possible and with all your focus.

I will say though, that I do like the colors you have going behind Yoda. The yellows, maroons, and blues all work well together.

So yeah, I'm never going to tell anyone to not do anything that may be "beyond" there skill (digital painting from memory), or anything that isn't universally accepted (anime), but make sure that you keep the fun stuff in balance with focused studying. The balance is crucial, this way art stays fun for you and you get to really feel yourself improve.

Greatnation on