As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Arfenhouse's Sketchdump

ArfenhouseArfenhouse Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Artist's Corner
Here are a few things I did over the last couple of days that I didn't want to be lost in the doodle thread (McGibs has monopolized that thing with his genius!).

arfenay2.jpg

arfynnp3.jpg

screamqe8.jpg

throwep5.jpg

Any and all critiques are welcome, I know how these forums are. ;)

Arfenhouse on

• Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I like the salmon coloured piece. Very graphic.

The rest of stuff is almost too doodley to crit, but they suffer from ill-defined light sources, big soft brushes and a lack of clear edges. The anatomy looks okay, in it's own, cartoony way.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Any advice on how to clear up the brush problem?

Arfenhouse on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Use brushes with tighter edges, or smaller brushes, or lots of different brushes as you work up your piece. Or erase into large blocks of colour to get finer edges. The fingers on your semi-falling-down black and white smudge-man shouldn't be as thick as that, for instance.

But I figure you would have fixed that up yourself if you'd worked on the pieces longer; like I said, it's a bit difficult to criticise properly when they're so early on. How long did these take you?

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    falconirefalconire Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dude, the screaming guy is awesome. Total props here.

falconire on
  • Options
    falconirefalconire Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I like the one before the screamer too. It's got a nice style to it.

falconire on
  • Options
    TehChowdTehChowd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Love the arm things and laser eyes in drawing two.

TehChowd on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Thanks for the kind words, but seriously any little thing wrong with it, point it out. Can only make me better :)

@desperate, these took about an 1 hour and a half each, except for the graphic one, that took about 20 minutes. And most of the time on the 1:30 pieces was spent redoing the colors because I wasn't happy with it.

Arfenhouse on
  • Options
    TehChowdTehChowd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hmm, well, I'm no artist, but if you're asking for nit-pickings, the legs on the guy in the first drawing look kind of too skinny/small. The legs look pretty much fine in the second drawing (except for maybe the ankles?), and in the last drawing they look good (though I'm no anatomy master. I guess you could say they look fine to the lay eye?).

TehChowd on
  • Options
    NeolightNeolight Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Your name brings back memories of Flash animations.

I can say that you've got a really good sense of gesture and you should post moar stuff :3

Neolight on