As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NCAA Football 2008: Pick'em info on page 1

Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter ShillRegistered User regular
edited January 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
ZeroCow wrote: »
Just set-up a Yahoo Bowl Game Pick 'Em:

Group ID# 31061
Group Name: Your Mother is a Classy Lady
Password: wang

No, not Fubol.

ncaa_football_logo.jpg

2881133.jpg

So its almost that season again, ALMOST.

http://www.ncaafootball.com/

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/index

The starting schedule

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/schedules

The Ranking

according to the AP

1. LSU (60) 12-2 1,620
2. Georgia (3) 11-2 1,515
3. USC (1) 11-2 1,500
4. Missouri 12-2 1,347
5. Ohio State 11-2 1,346
6. West Virginia 11-2 1,342
7. Kansas (1) 12-1 1,303
8. Oklahoma 11-3 1,139
9. Virginia Tech 11-3 1,096
10. Texas 10-3 962
10. Boston College 11-3 962
12. Tennessee 10-4 904
13. Florida 9-4 685
14. Brigham Young 11-2 654
15. Auburn 9-4 648
16. Arizona State 10-3 587
17. Cincinnati 10-3 566
18. Michigan 9-4 508
19. Hawaii 12-1 460
20. Illinois 9-4 443
21. Clemson 9-4 353
22. Texas Tech 9-4 308
23. Oregon 9-4 253
24. Wisconsin 9-4 202
25. Oregon State 9-4 110

The Rivalry, the excitment, the, well atleast it gives us something to do on saturdays...

They've lost people like

t1_stewart.jpg
i chose stewart specificaly, i went to highschool with the guy, i played halo with him, now hes 10 million dollars richer and probably doesn't remember who i am (you cant blame him though)

Which means that other people will start to arise.

0811-BSUIANJOHNSON_250.JPG

Who are you rooting for, who are you hating, what games are planning on hitting where your team is the away team and the rest of the stadium is bound to hate you for wearing blue and white (or whatever your colors are)

As for me Opening season will be great as BYU takes on UW at Husky stadium, and i have a ton of my moms family flying from utah just for this game. Theres nothing like rooting for the opposite team in your home town.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
Element Brian on

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My wife and I got lucky last year when we decided we didn't have money for season tickets. (Check my avatar for my current employer.) The team was so bad we saw three games for free. There were stories on the front page of the local paper about scalpers who were out thousands of dollars.

Here's news for everyone: we're going to suck again this year. I predict we'll go 4-8. Maybe 5-7. Maybe I'll try to go to the Navy game, just to see if we can regain a little dignity after last season's debacle.

Hedgethorn on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If OSU beats USC, they'll run the table and get $Texas regardless of winning the big game.

It's a win/win then.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Troy University, Ohio, and Youngstown State? OSU seriously needs to beef up their schedule a bit.

Hedgethorn on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm damn happy heading into this season.

The last couple of years have been great for me as a Mizzou fan, as we actually seem to have a football program again.

I'm also quite glad we don't have to try and take down Bradford and the Sooners during the regular season again. Take away that game and we could have had a national title shot even if we lost the conference championship.

Looking at the schedule I'm hoping for at least a 9-2 regular season, although 10-1 would be even better (trying to take down the Horns in Austin after the Red River Rivalry, not good odds. And the season ender in KC also frightens me). Although, I'm worried that our O-Line might have some trouble as we lost a big-time center and damn good left tackle.

At the end of things I'm hoping that MU avenges their loss to Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game and the Tigers get a National Title shot or at least a BCS bowl bid.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    If OSU beats USC, they'll run the table and get $Texas regardless of winning the big game.

It's a win/win then.

You think they're going to figure out Juice Williams?

Also note that that's last year's rankings because Michigan won't be in the top 25 at any point barring a surprising as all hell September and maybe if they win their bowl. It's going to be interesting... and by interesting I mean oh god, the pain.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited July 2008
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Troy University, Ohio, and Youngstown State? OSU seriously needs to beef up their schedule a bit.

Note: USC! Also Troy is one of your better mid-majors.

Double note: I'm a Michigan fan.

enlightenedbum on
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Weird, Tim Brewster and the Gophers didn't crack the Top 25.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
    edited July 2008
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Weird, Tim Brewster and the Gophers didn't crack the Top 25.

Last year's ranking, so there's still hope!
    3d4dff693c03a-95-1.jpg

enlightenedbum on
    edited July 2008
    Also of importance: today West Virginia tied Alabama in the Fulmer Cup Standings for most delinquent off season by a team, awarded by Every Day Should Be Saturday.

enlightenedbum on
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm expecting a 9-3 season out of Bama at the very least. I'll keep it tame and not suggest we're going to the SEC championship (seewhatididthere)

As for GT? Well, I get free tickets, so I'll probably go to most of the games. I think. Depends. I get the feeling we're just going to be as bad as before. Maybe with 1 or 2 cool upsets. 8-4 maybe.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
    edited July 2008
    Um, 12 games now. Anyway because I feel like proving just how dumb I am:

Michigan's schedule:

Utah-W
    Miami (OH)-W
    @ND-W
    Wisconsin-L
    Illinois-L
    Toledo-W
    @PSU-L
    MSU-W
    @Purdue-W
    @Minnesota-W
    Northwestern-W
    @OSU-Oh God, the humanity

Bowl: Alamoutback (W if Alamo, L if Outback)

enlightenedbum on
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Go Sun Devils! I anticipate another 2nd place (well, I guess some people consider last year a tied for first by conference record) finish in the PAC-10, and probably a mid tier bowl where we'll be blown out.

On the other hand, it is Dennis Erickson's second year, and Rudy Carpenter's third as the starting QB, so perhaps a little consistancy will result in a better finish. The only problem with this is that the Sun Devils have a harder schedule than last year, including playing host to the UGA Bulldogs, a team I enjoy rooting for even though I don't go there or probably ever will.

thanimations on
    edited July 2008
    Go Sun Devils! I anticipate another 2nd place (well, I guess some people consider last year a tied for first by conference record) finish in the PAC-10, and probably a mid tier bowl where we'll be blown out.

On the other hand, it is Dennis Erickson's second year, and Rudy Carpenter's third as the starting QB, so perhaps a little consistancy will result in a better finish. The only problem with this is that the Sun Devils have a harder schedule than last year, including playing host to the UGA Bulldogs, a team I enjoy rooting for even though I don't go there or probably ever will.

I'm not sure why, but I feel the same way about Georgia. Perhaps this guy is why. And while I'm pimping blogs, mgoblog is the best one on the net. Also the home of the Blogpoll, in all its wondrous glory.

enlightenedbum on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The Trojans can do no wrong in my eyes.

Crimsondude on
    edited July 2008
    Also of importance: today West Virginia tied Alabama in the Fulmer Cup Standings for most delinquent off season by a team, awarded by Every Day Should Be Saturday.

I think the University of Iowa is trying its best to win that award this year. Two football players sexually assaulted a female athlete on campus, and then the football coach, the athletic director, and the female president of the university tried to cover it up.

Hedgethorn on
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Note: USC! Also Troy is one of your better mid-majors.

Double note: I'm a Michigan fan.

Also to note, we schedule other Ohio teams as a service of sorts. The players on those teams grow up as Buckeye fans and playing OSU can be that persons chance to play in the Horseshoe and have his family and friends watch him on TV. Also it serves as a major fiscal boost to the other schools athletic programs.

And as enlightenedbum noted, we do play USC. We typically have a strong non-conference game on our schedule and last year was just an off year for that.

Having said that, I am a huge fan so I am also slightly biased. :P

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I-L-L!

I-N-I!

I'm just so happy to be relevant this year! Woo! Of course we're kicking things off nicely with the Missouri game. Last year they knocked Juice out of the game early, and we still almost won on the final play of the game or something like that....our back-up QB threw a pick in the end-zone I think. It worries me that everything I've read hints that they're still searching for someone to replace Mendenhal, but if Juice and Benn can step it up we might not drop off too much on Offense. The D should be as solid as last year. One thing to keep in mind, despite last season's success, this upcoming season is the one Cook had envisioned as the year he'd really pull it all together.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Good to see there's a smattering of Big 10 people in here. Michigan, Illinois and Minnesota so far.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I think the University of Iowa is trying its best to win that award this year. Two football players sexually assaulted a female athlete on campus, and then the football coach, the athletic director, and the female president of the university tried to cover it up.
    I'd just like the Tide to win something this year. Back off, bitches!

Bama on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008

I'm not sure why, but I feel the same way about Georgia. Perhaps this guy is why. And while I'm pimping blogs, mgoblog is the best one on the net. Also the home of the Blogpoll, in all its wondrous glory.

Mgoblog fucking rules.

Get excited, bum. We get to see Michigan do something different this year.

Eeee Barwis!

Medopine on
    edited July 2008
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Good to see there's a smattering of Big 10 people in here. Michigan, Illinois and Minnesota so far.

<_<

>_>

Ohio State right here.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    I would have expected Oklahoma to be higher than #8.

Dynagrip on
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Iowa State fan here. Fully prepared for a few months of pain and disappointment. Pessimism makes it hurt less.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fight on, SC!

Only team in the nation to schedule only opponents from the top 6 conferences, plus Notre Dame. Key dates:

9/13 vs Ohio St - a win here not only puts the Trojans in the driver's seat for the MNC, but spares a weary nation of having to watch the Buckeyes become college's Buffalo Bills.

10/11 vs Arizona St - the Sun Devils seem to have overtaken Cal as the #1 contender in the PAC.

11/15 @ Stanford - Revenge!

12/6 @ UCLA - Shiny new coaching staff, but they return all of 1 player who started every game last year.

Dynagrip wrote: »
    I would have expected Oklahoma to be higher than #8.

Those are last year's final rankings. Rivals.com just released their preseason rankings:

1. USC
    2. Georgia
    3. Ohio St
    4. Oklahoma
    5. Missouri
    6. Florida
    7. Auburn
    8. West Virginia
    9. Clemson
    10. LSU
    11. Kansas
    12. BYU
    13. Wisconsin
    14. Texas Tech
    15. Texas
    16. Arizona St
    17. Virginia Tech
    18. Illinois
    19. Tennessee
    20. South Florida
    21. Oregon
    22. Penn St
    23. Fresno St
    24. Wake Forest
    25. Pittsburgh

Others:
    30. Michigan
    37. Florida St
    40. Notre Dame
    41. Miami
    45. Nebraska

I'd like to see USC vs Georgia. Heck, I would've liked to see it last year.

BubbaT on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    GO USC!

nexuscrawler on
  • HrakaHraka Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    as a ucla fan I am exicted for this season!

not because I think we will do well, at best i think 50/50. But I am excited to see how the new coaches work out. To see if Ben Olson is able to step up with Norm Chow running the offense or if he fails if Kevin Craft will be able to transition from JC standout to UCLA standout.

The pac 10 is wide open once you get past USC (evil scum that they are) and ASU. The rabbid fan in me thinks that we can pull of a cinderella season. But the cold logical part of me says that we will be pretty lucky to win 1 of our first 4 games.

Hraka on
    I had a stick of Carefree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality
    edited July 2008
    1) re: Iowa, not eligible for Fulmer Cup points, as the incident in question happened during the season. Only incidents that happen between the mythical national championship game and August 30th count for points.

2) Still, Youngstown State? At least beat up on some MAC schools.

3) Eeeeee Barwis indeed.

enlightenedbum on
    edited July 2008
    1) re: Iowa, not eligible for Fulmer Cup points, as the incident in question happened during the season. Only incidents that happen between the mythical national championship game and August 30th count for points.

3) Eeeeee Barwis indeed.

Yeah, I can't really explain the Youngstown State other than that's where Tressel last coached. In general they do well is AA, but I would like to see a beefier opponent, but then again, Michigan proved what can happen when you don't approach a game seriously.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
    edited July 2008

3) Eeeeee Barwis indeed.

Yeah, I can't really explain the Youngstown State other than that's where Tressel last coached. In general they do well is AA, but I would like to see a beefier opponent, but then again, Michigan proved what can happen when you don't approach a game seriously.

We had a very very stupid football team last year. Lloyd, as much as I love him, just didn't have his heart in it after Bo died, so wasn't enforcing discipline or keeping the team focused. So 1) Michigan finished high in the Fulmer Cup standings and 2) fucking forgot to show up. Also 3) Shawn Crable is a grade A moron and didn't block anybody on that damn field goal attempt. And routinely committed stupid personal fouls that kept opponents' drives alive (aaarrrggghhh OSU 2006).

Last year sucked.

EDIT: unrelated, but apparently the guy who broke into a home and shot a guy in the face twice was not in fact still a West Virginia Mountaineer. So Alabama's lead is safe once again. Due to Jimmy Johns, starting linebacker and entrepeneur*.

*Coke dealer

enlightenedbum on
    edited July 2008

3) Eeeeee Barwis indeed.

We had a very very stupid football team last year. Lloyd, as much as I love him, just didn't have his heart in it after Bo died, so wasn't enforcing discipline or keeping the team focused. So 1) Michigan finished high in the Fulmer Cup standings and 2) fucking forgot to show up. Also 3) Shawn Crable is a grade A moron and didn't block anybody on that damn field goal attempt. And routinely committed stupid personal fouls that kept opponents' drives alive (aaarrrggghhh OSU 2006).

Last year sucked.

I'm very interested to see how Michigan performs this year. I think it'll be a rough year for you, but I'm still worried about that last game of the season.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
    edited July 2008
    I mean. It's a totally new thing at Michigan this year. So really, it won't take much to exceed my expectations. I expect us to play football and win some home games, and that's about it.

Medopine on
    edited July 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    I mean. It's a totally new thing at Michigan this year. So really, it won't take much to exceed my expectations. I expect us to play football and win some home games, and that's about it.

Fortunately, the Big Ten sucks! Honestly, if our offensive line is at all competent we could win ten games through absolutely no fault of our own. Also Steven Threet/Justin Feagin being some kind of half decent. I'm cool with 7-5 or 8-4 this year.

Eeeeee Barwis!

Also I'm going out on a huge limb with Georgia vs. the OSU/USC winner as the mythical national title game.

enlightenedbum on
    edited July 2008
    Medopine wrote: »

Fortunately, the Big Ten sucks! Honestly, if our offensive line is at all competent we could win ten games through absolutely no fault of our own. Also Steven Threet/Justin Feagin being some kind of half decent. I'm cool with 7-5 or 8-4 this year.

Eeeeee Barwis!

Also I'm going out on a huge limb with Georgia vs. the OSU/USC winner as the mythical national title game.

I'm keeping it low. .500 this year with mostly non-embarassing losses is fine with me. This year is all about rebuilding and making a general good showing - anything to help future recruiting and build a base of players RR can depend on.

Medopine on
    edited July 2008
    Erandus wrote: »
    Iowa State fan here. Fully prepared for a few months of pain and disappointment. Pessimism makes it hurt less.

When I was there, the conventional wisdom was any season in which we beat Iowa counted as a winning season, even if we went 1-10. Any chance of that this year?

Hedgethorn on
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Erandus wrote: »

When I was there, the conventional wisdom was any season in which we beat Iowa counted as a winning season, even if we went 1-10. Any chance of that this year?

Any season in which we beat Iowa is at least not too bad.

And yes, there's a chance of that this year. ISU showed some spark at the end of last season. Oklahoma fans will probably tell you we gave them a good scare at the end of the season last year. Iowa has been very inconsistent, especially recently, and they're in the middle of another off-field scandal yet again this year. We've had their number recently (finally) and there's every possibility we could do well against them, and in our non-conference in general.

Not that I'm expecting it, you understand. If I expect to get brutalized, I cannot be disappointed.

I think the most clever license plate I ever saw around here read "ISUffer".

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2008
    Maybe it's because I'm a Georgia Tech fan, but I really don't see Georgia as being one of the top teams in the country. They're decent, and Knowshon Moreno is a fucking beast, but I really think Matthew Stafford is overrated and their defense is pretty mediocre for the SEC (it's just that they got to look all tough against Hawaii and their terrible O-line). They'll probably win the East, though it's really more of a toss-up between them and Florida.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
    edited July 2008
    Maybe it's because I'm a Georgia Tech fan, but I really don't see Georgia as being one of the top teams in the country. They're decent, and Knowshon Moreno is a fucking beast, but I really think Matthew Stafford is overrated and their defense is pretty mediocre for the SEC (it's just that they got to look all tough against Hawaii and their terrible O-line). They'll probably win the East, though it's really more of a toss-up between them and Florida.

Unless Florida found a secondary, they're going nowhere nationally. They averaged 40 points a game last year and still lost four times.

enlightenedbum on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There's also Auburn.

Maybe even LSU, though they've got major problems at QB thanks to Perrilloux being a moron.

BubbaT on
    edited July 2008
    And I mean, assume Georgia wins the East, if they beat the SEC West champion, and the West looks a bit weak from this distance, odds are the SEC Champion gets to the title game. Based on the SEC is God's gift to football kind principle, which Ohio State keeps validating. Fucking Buckeyes.

enlightenedbum on
    edited July 2008
    In the end, as it always does in the SEC, it comes down to defense. I just don't think Georgia, Florida, or Tennessee have the defensive presence that LSU and Auburn do (and what I believe Bama will form this year). Even as a diehard SEC fan, I think this is going to be an off year for the SEC, where we don't send anyone to the national championship game.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png