As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help Me Understand: Xbox 360, Hard Drives, and DLC

darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
OK, I'm trying to figure this out - and there's what used to be, what was speculated, (and what I'm trying to get clear) what's true now.

I have a Xbox 360 with it's original 20GB hard drive, filled with content downloaded on that same 360. I'm considering purchasing the 120GB hard drive and migrating all my content onto that.

It's my understanding the hard drive comes with a transfer cable that allows me to "physically" move all my content onto the new drive. So far, so good.

I also understand that there are basically two locks on DLC on the 360 - locked to the box, and locked to my profile. One of the issues many people had was that when they got a new box, they'd lose the "locked to the box" access, and would only be able to access content when logged into their profile. It was my understanding that this same effect came into play if you replaced the hard drive, but I've since read that no content is locked to the HD. That would suggest to me that if all you do is replace the hard drive, you should be exactly where you started, no penalty (all content is accessable on the box and under the profile), except you have 100GB-ish more space and you're $180 poorer.

Is this correct? Considering that we're getting soaked on the price of the hard drives, and I believe the data transfer is one-way and irrevokable, I want to be sure before deciding to upgrade.

darkgrue on

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There is a DRM transfer tool available that lets you move the "locked to box" protection to a new system. I have no clue if you'll need to use that for a HD swap, though.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    New harddrive on same system = no DRM change, you'll be fine. You'll just need to use the transfer cable and you'll be set.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You're right, as far as I understand it, anyway.

When you are keeping the same console but just switching hard drives, you shouldn't have any problems; the transfer kit will take care of everything and you keep the "locked to the box" license.

When you are switching consoles but either keeping the same hard drive or using a new one, you will have to transfer your console license so that you regain the "locked to the box" access. It's found here:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/

I believe you can only do this once a year, but this allows you to manually migrate console licenses so that you can access your stuff without being online and logged into the buyer's profile. Again, this is only if you buy a new console or if you get a new one as part of a repair.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have a vaguely related question...

If I say, buy Geometry Wars 2 (which I have, and it's great) but then run out of hard drive space and have to delete it can I then download it again for free? Or would I have to buy it again?

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    tbloxham wrote: »

If I say, buy Geometry Wars 2 (which I have, and it's great) but then run out of hard drive space and have to delete it can I then download it again for free? Or would I have to buy it again?

You can redownload it for free, of course. Just make sure you're logged into the same account that bought it.

I'd never spend any money on an online distribution thing if I didn't get free redownloads. (This is why I never bought anything from iTunes).

Daedalus on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »

You can redownload it for free, of course. Just make sure you're logged into the same account that bought it.

I'd never spend any money on an online distribution thing if I didn't get free redownloads. (This is why I never bought anything from iTunes).

Ahh excellent, I had always wondered about that. And it is stupid that iTunes doesn't give free redownloads, from now on whenever possible I shall buy stuff from Microsoft!

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Heh. I don't think Zune Store gives free redownloads either. The digital music download industry is sort of fucked up right now in general.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Heh. I don't think Zune Store gives free redownloads either. The digital music download industry is sort of fucked up right now in general.

The Zune store does let you redownload for free, at least with the TV shows I purchased from them.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I stand corrected.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The only thing you really need to watch out for is content that gets taken off the servers. For example, I can't redownload the Genki Rockets Lumines DLC since it's no longer up despite having downloaded it before.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    and I can't redownload Aerosmith's Dream On, for example. It kinda sucks, but then so does the note chart for it. (ba-dum pssh)

Daedalus on
  • Options
    darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    New harddrive on same system = no DRM change, you'll be fine. You'll just need to use the transfer cable and you'll be set.

Thanks for the responses all, that's what I needed to know!

darkgrue on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Slight necropost but I figured it was better than starting a new thread

Consider the following:

About a week ago, I went up to my friend's place and brought my 360's hard drive because I didn't want to bother lugging around the whole thing, right

So I (on my Live account) bought a few Rock Band songs and downloaded them to my hard drive, thinking the licenses were tied to the hard drive

As this thread has taught me, content licenses is instead tied to the console, and now (since I live in the middle of nowhere and thus don't have anything better than dialup) that I can't sign into Live, I can't play those songs

My question: if I do the license transfer thing seen above, is there any way to just transfer those songs I bought, or would I have to transfer every license tied to my friend's 360 (and therefore would probably have to re-buy the songs)?

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Arcibi wrote: »
    Slight necropost but I figured it was better than starting a new thread

Consider the following:

About a week ago, I went up to my friend's place and brought my 360's hard drive because I didn't want to bother lugging around the whole thing, right

So I (on my Live account) bought a few Rock Band songs and downloaded them to my hard drive, thinking the licenses were tied to the hard drive

As this thread has taught me, content licenses is instead tied to the console, and now (since I live in the middle of nowhere and thus don't have anything better than dialup) that I can't sign into Live, I can't play those songs

My question: if I do the license transfer thing seen above, is there any way to just transfer those songs I bought, or would I have to transfer every license tied to my friend's 360 (and therefore would probably have to re-buy the songs)?

If you could sign in to Xbox Live on Dial-up, the "redownload" to unlock that content is literally a few seconds to check and see if you have it, your profile, etc -- and bing, it's there.

It wouldn't be network dependant at all, really.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What can I do if I buy an elite because I don't like looking at my sad old white xbox anymore? Can I transfer files somehow? Or would I need to come up with one of those cables somewhere?

JohnnyCache on