As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vista (re)activation

Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello,

So i bought vista at retail, so i should be able to transfer the license, right? If i just change my motherboard will that need to be done, or only if i change the motherboard and the harddrive? Also, is it just a case of inputting the code thingy and whatnot and boom its activated or will this involve phonecalls?

anyway thanks in advance.

Canada_jezus on

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hello,

So i bought vista at retail, so i should be able to transfer the license, right? If i just change my motherboard will that need to be done, or only if i change the motherboard and the harddrive? Also, is it just a case of inputting the code thingy and whatnot and boom its activated or will this involve phonecalls?

anyway thanks in advance.

Generally if you re-install or get new hardware (generally a motherboard, but it's never really been defined what MS considers enough changes to make it a "new" system) you can make use of the code several times. Windows goes online, verifies the code, you're done.

I've changed hard drives and re-verified with no issues.

In the event that you do this quite a few times (I've never experienced this), you may be asked to call up to re-verify. Should be a short call and they'll re-verify, then that's it. Then you can re-install several times more before having to contact them again. At least, that's the theory. I've re-installed 2-3 times now (once with a HDD change) and haven't had to phone them up yet.

subedii on
  • Options
    focused7focused7 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I had to reverify my OEM version of Vista I bought from newegg a couple times because of hardware changes. The automated method didn't work and I had to call to do it. Was rather a quick and simple process.

focused7 on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh well that's settled then i guess, thanks duders.

Canada_jezus on