As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unreal Tournament 3: Free Expansion. See OP!

• Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    3 Maps, Morbias, Face and a new one I haven't played yet.

Drool on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Suds wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I usually could count on Epic to support their games and deliver outstanding content post-release. The various official bonus packs for the UT games were great (the ECE Bonus Pack for 2K4 is legendary and fucking free to boot). With UT3, though, I don't know. It's really like they stopped caring, especially considering it doesn't have "gears" or "war" in its title.

Check the official website, there is a bonus pack. No idea what's in it though.

Shit, serious? I'm waaay out of the loop with this fucking game. Someone start a server before I forget how to play DM or something.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Theres also that PhysX pack, any of you with a Geforce 8+ card will be able to run these maps fine with the new drivers that will be released on the 12th. Otherwise they will be like... 15fps max

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man I tried those maps and it destroyrd my fps...I was on a 8800gt and now am on an ultra though so when I get my damn disk back I will be trying it. It was pretty cool though. One was a brick catherdral if I remember correctly and most of the walls and other shit blew away. At one part in the level a twister goes through and tears shit up to it was good. It destroyed my system though :(

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Don't you need like 2 8800's to run those or is that something that's supposed to happen later?

Drool on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Nah nah, it's merely using the GPU like a PPU with little to no loss of power, the next drivers will come with a little system tool that allows you to turn it on and off.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    pineconeboypineconeboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dixon wrote: »
    Man I tried those maps and it destroyrd my fps...I was on a 8800gt and now am on an ultra though so when I get my damn disk back I will be trying it. It was pretty cool though. One was a brick catherdral if I remember correctly and most of the walls and other shit blew away. At one part in the level a twister goes through and tears shit up to it was good. It destroyed my system though :(

That was a tech demo, not intended to be a real multiplayer map.

The best new maps right now can be found in the HOLP pack (Hardcore Oldschool Low-Poly - the classic CTF maps are especially fantastic) and in the first Community Bonus Pack, particularly a map called DM-Salvation - it quickly became one of my favorite maps of all time. None of the other maps in the pack approach it in terms of gameplay but nearly all of them look flipping great.... as with some of the custom maps in UT2004, it's worth the download just to see the visual design concepts that the community's top mappers have come up with. They were obviously thinking about those people complaining about UT3's over-bloomed and desaturated visuals. Here's one from the pack - DM-August:
    ut3mods_080626_2.jpg

ut3mods_080626_3.jpg

And the download link:

Commutity Bonus Pack UT3 volume 1 (download links in this thread)

The HOLP maps don't look quite as awesome but warrant a download for sure - they are pretty commonly found on servers so it's a good idea to have them:

Forum thread with screenshots < CTF-Turbo is absolutely great!

Download link

3dbuzz also had an "Oldskool level design contest" which produced some pretty good results.

There's also the Make Something Unreal contest entries which has a crapload of maps in it, but the quality is a lot more variable.

Sorry for the barrage of links to beyondunreal, but it IS the best place to look for custom content these days.

pineconeboy on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ooh, thats a cool looking environment.

I actually liked UT2k's levels so much that I played through the awfully repetitive single player mode.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wow, those maps are good. There were a lot of amazing maps for 2k4 though so I'm not too surprised, I'm just worried that since the new tools are more complex (I'm assuming) then it will be harder to make levels that not only play well but look great too (I'm no graphics whore but I fucking hate playing maps that are little more than boxes with some shitty texture tiled onto them).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So what's a good site where I can find UT3 maps, skins, models and mods?

I remember way back in UT99 there was a central mod review site called MODSQUAD, is there anything like that now?

subedii on
  • Options
    JivesJives Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I ordered this today

i got the collectors edition due to it being the same price, is the bonus disk actualy interesting?

Jives on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I got it for the PS3, I was pretty excited to hook my KB/M up to teh console :)

I hear you can d/l MODS from PC and use them on your PS3?

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Jives wrote: »
    I ordered this today

i got the collectors edition due to it being the same price, is the bonus disk actualy interesting?

Well there's about 30 odd minutes of Behind the Scenes and "History of" stuff. Nothing too major. There's also a small artbook, but again, I didn't really think much of that.

The real meat of the SE is the fact that it comes with over 20 hour worth of video tutorials for UnrealED.

subedii on
  • Options
    JivesJives Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Jives wrote: »
    I ordered this today

Well there's about 30 odd minutes of Behind the Scenes and "History of" stuff. Nothing too major. There's also a small artbook, but again, I didn't really think much of that.

The real meat of the SE is the fact that it comes with over 20 hour worth of video tutorials for UnrealED.

Nice

I've never tried making a map of any sort though, so I guess this will just lead to failure

Jives on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The tutorial videos are actually quite fantastic, but there are still quite a few things that are missing that you will need to learn from the community, and what a community Unreal has!

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ah and before I forget, the PhysX drivers are out now for Geforce 8 + owners

Check it the fuck out

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Ah and before I forget, the PhysX drivers are out now for Geforce 8 + owners

Check it the fuck out

Are these still beta drivers, or are they an official release?

Also, is there any place I can get them without having to download their custom download manager?

subedii on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    They're official, I just tried the fluids demo and it's very nice, but Unreal still runs like an ass on the PhysX levels, I must be missing something here.

I don't know any other site that has started hosting yet as it was only just released.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ah! You turn on Hardware Physics in the options, now it's fucking sweet as.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I got it for the PS3, I was pretty excited to hook my KB/M up to teh console :)

I hear you can d/l MODS from PC and use them on your PS3?

They have to be cooked for the PS3. Most mods aren't, but I think there's a few that do work. A few custom maps have been cooked for PS3 as well.

subedii, I don't think modsquad exists anymore. It was hosted on beyondunreal but I haven't heard tell of it in a long time.

The Unreal community has been gradually tapering off since UT3 was released, and barring the release of something awesome next year, will most likely continue to do so. :(Beyondunreal isn't what it used to be either for organization or ease of finding custom content, but as I mentioned previously it IS the best place to look for custom content of all types. Skincity (skins/models) and Insite (maps) are still around, although the latter recently shut down for good thus removing the last central map reviewing site for UT series games. At least all the maps they've reviewed up until now are still archived there.

pineconeboy on
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I assume PhysX is only for the Geforces?

I'm running an ati 4850. soo... poo?

Arminas on
  • Options
    RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Veegeezee wrote: »
    I was wondering when the anti-hype would wear off.
    When it came out for the 360!? Fanboi's Hooooooooooo!!!

Roxtar on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Arminas wrote: »

Nvidia basically bought the company and has essentially made their physics processing a part of the newer Nvidia cards by way of these new drivers.

So basically no, the physics processing is currently only available for Nvidia cards (8800's and over IIRC).

subedii on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Arminas wrote: »

Unfortunately yeah.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah I just downloaded the drivers before I went to work and tried some of the tech demos and that one full game that I can not remember the name of. The game sucked but the application was pretty cool. I tore the first floor completely off this house with a chaingun and it was fun. Damn I want my UT3 Disks back so i can try those physX ut levels

Dixon on
  • Options
    Adhesive to plasticAdhesive to plastic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I downlaoded the drivers and everything still runs like ass.

Ah well.

Adhesive to plastic on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Warmonger should run fine, the Fluid physics demo runs well, but for some reason Unreal Engine 3 PhysX packs start off buttery smooth then goes down to a slide show as soon as too many PhysX objects are manipulated.

*huge fucking sigh*

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Warmonger should run fine, the Fluid physics demo runs well, but for some reason Unreal Engine 3 PhysX packs start off buttery smooth then goes down to a slide show as soon as too many PhysX objects are manipulated.

*huge fucking sigh*

Anybody have a 280GTX that can test this? I heard it is fuck awesome!

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wow, quite a few of the maps from the Phase I of the Make Something Unreal contest look fucking amazing. I'd download them now at work to take home but my flash drive doesn't have that much room on it so I'll just wait till I get home to do so.

Speaking of that, when I get home tonight besides downloading maps for it I may be up for some fragging, who wants to join me? I usually get home close to 12 PM central time so look me up!

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ZaidenZaiden Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I play this sometimes, and would like to play with some people on the forums.

Zaiden on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Patch 1.3 is finally out. Best patch so far, definitely.

http://download.beyondunreal.com/fileworks.php/official/ut3/ut3patch3.exe

pineconeboy on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Whoah, finally.

Btw, I am just really bitter that they have not released Malcolm as a character. :|

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Oh Nice -

- Added motion blur menu option for PC (defaults to off).

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was...disappointed when I played the PC demo and almost immediately got spawncamped with a manta vehicle. I mean, I can get cheapshotted already in UT2004, you know?

Has anyone noticed a lack of servers on the PC version, or is it about what you'd expect for a last-year FPS release? (I was pretty let down when I saw the slim pickings on Vegas 2 PC servers)

Skexis on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Man, I've gotten too used to slower paced team games. Jumping into a proper deathmatch for the first time in maybe a year or so saw me get routinely hammered within 5 seconds of spawning. :lol:

It'd probably take a bit of practice to be able to work my way up to somewhere mid-way on the scoreboard. I've grown rusty at bouncing around whilst keeping a bead on my target.

subedii on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Man, I've gotten too used to slower paced team games. Jumping into a proper deathmatch for the first time in maybe a year or so saw me get routinely hammered within 5 seconds of spawning. :lol:

It'd probably take a bit of practice to be able to work my way up to somewhere mid-way on the scoreboard. I've grown rusty at bouncing around whilst keeping a bead on my target.

You were doing a better job than me.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Whoah, finally.

Btw, I am just really bitter that they have not released Malcolm as a character. :|

He is in the game, he's the black dude in the campaign that the liandri corp highers as a tactical dude.

He's go the shades...oddly enough up until this game I had no idea he was black lol

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think he meant Malcolm as a playable character.

I did pretty terrible as well my first few games, but I'm starting to get back in the swing of the madness. I was top score on a full Warfare server the other night, but I'm still pretty terrible at deathmatch.

Warfare is just all about being aggressive and going after the nodes/running the orb you get tons of points that way.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Dixon wrote: »

He is in the game, he's the black dude in the campaign that the liandri corp highers as a tactical dude.

He's go the shades...oddly enough up until this game I had no idea he was black lol

What did you think he was.... Hawaiian? Maori? Mongolian? Or just a white guy with a skin condition? :lol:

Drool - UT is good about rewarding you for contributing to the team's victory rather than just racking up a lot of kills. Unlike, say, TF2 giving you a measly 2 points for carrying the intelligence all the way back to your base after 10 minutes of stalemate.

pineconeboy on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I installed the drivers on my 8800GT. Everything ran smooth as butter, the fashion show was the lowest at like 33FPS, but it still looked smooth.

But twice, folding@home crashed my machine. Full reboot when I woke up, so that's getting uninstalled. The water dispenser is nice. The giant slug thing is kinda meh.

Any reason to play UT3 when I already own TF2 and COD4?

DrunkMc on