As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] Newbie DM needs ideas - 48 hour time limit

WylderneedshelpWylderneedshelp Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Critical Failures
Hi Guys,

Running a DnD game for a bunch of new players. I haven't really played either in quite a number of years, so I went out and bought keep on the shadowfel. That module was working well. In our first session the players explored the town, rescued the guy from the dragon burial site and cleaned out Irontooths lair. The next gaming session was going to start with them heading out to the keep. Anyway, turns out we will only have 3 (of 5) players for the next session. We're all still keen to play. I talked to the players about it, and we came up with the following options.

1) Keep going with Keep on the shadowfel, but scale the encounters down to 3/5 of what they are written as.

2) Keep going with Keep on the shadowfel, and ask the players that are present to democratically control the two who are missing.

3) Have a 3-man side adventure until our full group is present to continue on with the module.

The players seem to like option 3 best. They want to save the "big" adventure for when everyone is around, and dont really like controlling other peoples characters. I'm happy for this to happen, and it does seem like the most sensible. The only problem is, the game day is in 48 hours and I dont have anything ready.... Hence the thread.

Any suggestions no matter how vague or how detailed are appreciated.

Im thinking a small adventure of maybe 7-8 encounters max as our players are still new, so we take our time. I need a basic plotline, and ideally a simple bullet point list of what those encounters would be. If I have a basic storyline I can flesh out the enemies, traps, npcs, settings etc myself.

I'd like the encounter to be indoors/underground as the party has so far been outdoors for most of the adventure and so have very little experience with traps, obstacles or puzzles and have always had the option of "ok, lets go back to town" after every encounter. While I don't want them to be heavily restricted, I want them to have a slightly higher sense of danger than they have so far.

The three players are as follows. All have recently made level 2:

Dwarf fighter - The player styles his warrior as a berzerker who has little to live for. He had vowed to seek death in combat, but is beginning to consider that more enemies will die if he lives through the fights. He carries a great axe fondly named "God" and does a scottish accent regularly for his character.

Halfling Rogue - New to RPGs, this player doesn't get into his character much, but quite likes tactical play and combat situations.

Human Priest - Styles her character as an orphan whos parents were slain by evil doers. Likes to travel around seeking out evil to vanquish. Capable roleplayer even though she is new.

The entire party is fairly mercenary, having a background of playing WoW (quests = gold). I had to allow them to "convince" several of the plot elements in Keep on the shadowfel to involve them being hired by the town to fight evil in order to get them out of the town and following the story. For this reason I'd like to involve them in some sort of "personal danger" storyline so that they get used to storylines other than ones that start with "The local xxx has hired you to do yyy and will pay you zzz for your time". One example would be falling into some sort of trap that leaves them lost in an underground cavern that they have to find their way out of. This may be a bit too restrictive but the idea is an example of what I want.

Having said all this, I'm really drawing a mental blank when I try to start planning this out. I'm sure that with a bit of a push in the right direction I'm sure I can fill in most of the details easily enough.

Please help a newbie DM not look completely unprepared :p

Wylderneedshelp on

• Options
    LeemoLeemo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hi Guys,
    Please help a newbie DM not look completely unprepared :p

I would have responded a lot quicker if you'd put it in the general 4e thread. I don't usually look at the others going on.

Minor spoilers about the module are included.

As you recline in the common room of the inn, flush from your victory over the Kobolds, the door suddenly flies open with a crash. A chainmail-clad man stumbles in, glancing about the room wildly until his gaze alights upon your group. He moves toward you, obviously in some pain. "Are you them that killed the Kobolds?" he demands, "I've work that needs doing, and needs done in a hurry."

After the players agree, the man relates his story. He's an outrider for Winterhaven, and he recently encountered something extremely troubling. While on his usual patrol route, he caught site of a fire atop a long-abandoned and decrepit hillfort. Riding to investigate, he and his squad were beset upon by Hobgoblins. He barely escaped alive, the rest of his squad are dead, and he's fresh from having an arrow pulled from his side.

Backstory

These hobgoblins have been summoned by the Warchief to assist him in his service to Kalarel. They are making for the keep. They've had to stop at the hill fort because their shaman has taken very ill, and will likely die without a little bit of tender loving care.

If the players elect to accept this quest, the guard will provide them with a hastily drawn map that shows the location of the hill fort. He'll then collapse on the floor of the inn. The arrow he was shot with was poisoned, and a player can make a DC20 healing check in order to save his life. Failure will result in his death, though all the townsfolk in the tavern will agree that the players did their best to help him, and their reputation will be enhanced either way.

The Dungeon

Doodle about on a piece of graph paper to make something that could be a ruined fortress. Have multiple wings, only one of which is being used by the hobgoblins. They're familiar enough with such places to have cleared out a single wing for themselves. The basement is all that remains, and includes kitchen, servants quarters, barracks and mess areas. It also contains the "bolt hole" to be used if the defenders were unable to hold the fort, until help could arrive. This is a magical door that was to be locked by the guard captain, sealing in the fort's commander and retinue. The captain would then merrily go off to die, or run like a coward, whichever. Either way, he had to put the key back in its hiding place, first. In fact, the captain died valiantly -- but nobody was ever told about the key, so those who hid died very slowly. The invaders searched for the key -- all remaining furniture has been smashed in addition to being rotted -- but could not find it. The door cannot be opened from the inside. (They must have hired a cut-rate wizard to install it)

Wing #1 (No Hobgoblins)
    This wing is in especially bad disrepair, with lots of difficult terrain squares. It previously held the kitchen, the larder, several storage rooms, and a servant's dining room.

Kitchen: 3x ShadowHunter Bat (level 3 lurker). Encounter Exp: 450

Larder: 6x Dire Rats. Encounter Exp: 600

Dining Room: 1x Ochre Jelly. 1 Treacherous Ice Sheet Hazard (DMG89), re-flavoured to a slick, ichor-stained floor. (primarily the blood and guts of the dire rats that occasionally venture in, coupled with a very leaky ceiling). Encounter Exp 500.

Wing #2 (No Hobgoblins)
    This wing will be dark and oppressive. No signs of life will be present within it. It will swiftly enough come to an end at a door that radiates magic. A small indentation in the wall bears the shape of a star, which can be opened if the key is found in Wing #3. This leads to the "panic room", wherein the undead remains of those that hid in it are to be found.

Skeletonx3, Blazing Skeletonx1. Encounter Exp: 650.

The blazing skeleton should have a +1 magic weapon suitable for the party's use.

Wing #3 (Hobgoblins).
    This wing is in reasonable repair. It formerly held a barracks and a mess hall.

Barracks: 2x Hobgoblin Archers, 4x Hobgoblin Grunts, 1x Hobgoblin Soldier. Encounter Exp: 610

Note: There is a secret compartment in the floor of the barracks (DC22 perception), within which can be found a silver star. This is the key for the Wing #2 door.

Mess Hall: 1x Hobgoblin Warcaster, 2x Hobgoblin Soldier, 1x Hobgoblin Commander. Encounter Exp: 650

Note: The wounded hobgoblin shaman is here, too, but cannot contribute to the fight. He can be interrogated, and will divulge information on a successful intimidate check, or bluff check (he is feverish and could easily be convinced the players are allies). He will disclose his mission to join his Warchief, and also some piece of information about the keep itself. The shaman has 1x Potion of Healing, and an implement suited for a party member. His disease is too advanced for healing -- he is covered in postules and sores, and will die once the party is done with him. Or, just before if you prefer. You could use this mystery illness as a later plot hook when you find yourself in a similar situation.

General Tactics: The bats, the ooze and the rats will all have a chance of surprising the party. The hobgoblins will be set up in a defensible position, utilising terrain and cover/concealment in the form of piles of broken furniture. As soon as the door to the panic room opens, the skeletons will charge the PCs, possibly surprising them unless they specifically state that they're preparing for such an outcome.

You could place another trap in the squares just prior to the panic room, this one a more traditional pendulum blade or crossbow trap.

That should tie in well enough with the Keep, occupy your players for a session, and be appropriately scaled for a 3-man party. Downgrade or upgrade as necessary by just adding more monsters / removing some.

If you'd like a different hook, one that isn't about performing services for the town, Winterhaven doesn't offer a whole lot of personal danger to work from. If you want to do justice to that concept, you'd be better off preparing for a little bit longer. The big trouble with personal danger scenarios is that there's often no escape route, which is very tough on a 3-man party.

Leemo on
  • Options
    TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You can also craft one of the overused, "While hanging out in the tavern, you are approached by an NPC that needs a favor..."

Running on a fetch quest, or having to kill x number of y beasts to gain z pelts/teeth/mcguffins serves to fill up an evening. Up to you on how many twists it takes to keep it from getting boring or lame can be done on the fly, and with your players' input. Flow with what your players want to do, and adapt.

Don't forget that skillchallenges are often good for RP and they can be very fun, if built correctly. Look at the KotS skillchallenges and sidequests and build from there.

TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You could do a one-off with pregens, running the level 12 adventure they have up in Dungeon: The Haunting of Kincep Mansion.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Awesome. Thanks especially to Leemo. I'll take the tip about posting in the general D&D thread in future.

The bit about personal danger is more that I'd like to stop the players from demanding money off every NPC they see before they will leave the safety of wherever they made camp. Its not a big problem, and if thats the players they want to be, then its a reliable enough tool to get them moving. I just think that as DM, over time I should encourage them to accept different plot hooks.

I think I will pretty much use what you have put down as a base. I'm only just realising now that one of the other things I had not figured out is exactly what sort of monsters to throw at a level 2 party (other than kobolds - which I've had about enough of). I probably should have just started by having a browse through the MM. You've pointed me in the right direction there too.

I'm going to do some sketches, and put a bit more detail into the stuff you've just done there, and then I'll probably be back with a few questions.

Wylderneedshelp on
  • Options
    LeemoLeemo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Awesome. Thanks especially to Leemo. I'll take the tip about posting in the general D&D thread in future.

The bit about personal danger is more that I'd like to stop the players from demanding money off every NPC they see before they will leave the safety of wherever they made camp. Its not a big problem, and if thats the players they want to be, then its a reliable enough tool to get them moving. I just think that as DM, over time I should encourage them to accept different plot hooks.

I think I will pretty much use what you have put down as a base. I'm only just realising now that one of the other things I had not figured out is exactly what sort of monsters to throw at a level 2 party (other than kobolds - which I've had about enough of). I probably should have just started by having a browse through the MM. You've pointed me in the right direction there too.

I'm going to do some sketches, and put a bit more detail into the stuff you've just done there, and then I'll probably be back with a few questions.

I find the gimme-money-or-I-don't-move thing can realistically go one of two ways:

1) The players stick to their guns, but you get to run a campaign where they're basically despised and infamous as being a mercenary group that will sit around drinking beer while the people around them are in desperate plights. You can have a lot of fun with this. When the players enter a new town and declare who they are:

The guardsman spits at your feet. "You lot." he growls, "I've heard of you. As if I didn't have enough troubles already. You may as well be movin' on, we're more than able to handle ourselves and you'll not be getting so much as a penny from our coffers.

Eventually, it can convert to a kind of awe, and the players can easily get caught between competing interests offering money for their support and services.

2) The players realize they're alienating folk, and you get to play a more traditional heroic campaign.

Many of my old Hackmaster campaigns went the way of (1), and I never really had a problem with it. Mercenary characters create their own unique dynamics and opportunities for story telling, without necessitating a villainy campaign which, really, can be much harder to run.

If that's what your players want to be, by all means let them. Consequences to actions aren't limited strictly to combat, after all. They can probably expect poor, begrudging service at inns and taverns, and an inability to call on aid, rally the populace, or otherwise engage in any of those heroic-type things.

One thing I did in a past campaign like this was introduce a second adventuring party to the region, who were all sunshine and smiles. The mercenary PC party would come back sometimes from a tough assignment to collect their gold, only to find the NPC party being feted and celebrated for doing something much less risky, just because they were well thought of. Eventually, the NPC party got in over their heads and were being held prisoner by a savage gnoll tribe. The PC party were hired to rescue them, and paid exorbitantly while being not-so-subtly informed that they shouldn't expect similar treatment if something happened to them.

The rescue led to some really interesting dynamics. :)

Edit: Also, when players aren't well thought of, it can be easy to introduce alternate hooks. The masses will be willing to believe the worst about them, meanin they may have to take action to salvage their reputation. They could be accused of a crime, or simply railroaded by the justice system because they've built up so much dislike in the town. Knowing that they're so greedy could allow your villains to hire them for some seemingly innocuous purpose that results in chaos and destruction, since they're likely not asking a lot of questions about the work they're being contracted for...

Leemo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Mmm. Those are some neat ideas.

To be honest, I dont really think I had considered the reactions of the townsfolk properly to having their coffers depleted/drained by a group of mercenaries - just so that their entire town doesnt get devoured by Orcus.

I think that when I get the chance I'm going to go and read all 100 pages of the general D&D thread. I believe I have a lot to learn from guys like you.

Wylderneedshelp on
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I used a human encounter in my game here on the forums. I was thinking about making it something my PCs could look into while in between adventures where they eventually take down the leader of a protection racket. It would be a detective/urban game where you could flesh out some of the places in town for future use.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png