As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Just...finding time.

KatoKato Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm not huge and fat or anything...but I am a little chubby. A little chubbier than I would like to be. I have the drive and will power to work out, but I simply do not have the time. I know everyone will come out and start claiming that's a lie or an excuse...but let me tell you how my normal weekday is.

5:50am - alarm goes off.
6:00am - wife and I get in the shower
6:30am - out and dressed, start cooking breakfast
6:45am - waking our children up while the wife is still getting dressed and doing her hair, female things
7:00am - kids are dressed, teeth brushed, shoes on. time to eat breakfast
7:25am - out the door to take my youngest son to daycare/preschool
8:00am - work
11:30am - lunch hour. Yes, I do get an hour. But I don't see an hour as suitable time to work out, break a sweat, shower before going back to work and still slipping in some actual food in there...
12:30pm - work
5:00pm - yay!! I'm out of work! Time to pick up my youngest kid (usually, but sometimes my wife gets him before I do)
5:20pm - everyone is finally home. Talk to the kids about their day at school and stuff, go through their school papers and the mail, chat time with the wife as we discuss and talk about our day at work (she's a teacher so her day is always a little exciting)
5:45 to 6:00pm - Bout time to start cooking dinner (I'm the cook in my family...and a damn good one at that)
6:30'ish pm - supper is done around here...time to eat. Sometimes, supper isn't done till 7pm...all depends on what I'm cooking
7:00pm - I've talked with my kids...but haven't played with them. So we do something with the kids until it's time for bath/bed. Maybe it's play a game...maybe with some toys. Sometimes we go outside and play in the yard or ride bikes...whatever.
between 7:30 and 8:00pm - bathtime/showertime for the kids. Get them to bed.
9:00pm - Kids are in bed. This is the only freetime during the day that my wife and I get to spend with each other...just the two of us.
9:45 or 10:00pm (sometimes later because we watch a movie or something) - it's bedtime for us. I have grown to like my 7 or 8 hours of sleep in a day...and after a full day of work and kids and household stuff...I'm usually ready for it by this time. This is good cuddle time...alone time. My wife and I value and appreciate what little alone time we get to spend with each other and we have an incredible relationship with each other. Do we really want to spend that last bit of time working out?? Not really. Could we even leave the house the house? No. Our kids are 3 and 7...we are bound to the house. Do we have a home gym? Nope. Don't even have a treadmill...but again. Is that really...really how we want to spend our last hour of the day..our only hour of true together time? I need the nookie nookie.

Rinse and repeat...5 days a week. I get the weekends off, but those are often pretty busy too. Between the lawnwork, grocery shopping (we plan our menus for 2 weeks and go to the store every 2 weeks and buy what we need...it's awesome) and doing something fun with the kids on the weekends, cleaning the house and simply socializing...have a few friends come over...we are usually pretty busy. Also, grandparents like to say hi and have dinner and things like that (my parents...grandparents to my children).

So as you can see...unless I want to cause sleep deprivation, it is very hard to find a suitable time to actually break a sweat and get some cardio in or something like that. I can do some pushups in the morning and crunches if I wanted...but that still means I'm getting up another 15 minutes earlier. That can be hard to do...we already have a hard time getting out of bed in the mornings as it is.

So I ask you all...do you have any advice to give? I try to watch what I eat...but I know I'm not perfect. My only real issue is that sometimes eat a little too much. And that's how I got chubby. Also...I put on some weight when I quit smoking 8 years ago...kind of stuck with me since then.

Signature??
Kato on

• Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I do an 8-5 day and honestly the 9-10pm hour is probably the best time to do it. You really work up an exhaustion and by 10:30 you are in bed.

Durandal Infinity on
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    On Tuesdays and Thursdays get up at 5 or 5:15 and do some basic calisthenics, jog, bike, kettle bells or whatever until your regular shower time. On the weekends, make a slot for other exercise (Saturday morning and Sunday evening so you can get 18 hours of rest in between). You can't find free time, you have to make room somewhere and the morning is the easiest. This way, you will still get more than 30 minutes exercise 4 days a week with a decent amount of rest in between.

stigweard on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Could you start cooking dinner during the 5:20 block while talking to wife/kids? It depends on your setup - I know how irritating it is to cook in an over-crowded kitchen, but if it's more open it's doable, and can help add some more post-dinner time.

KalTorak on
  • KatoKato Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Could you start cooking dinner during the 5:20 block while talking to wife/kids? It depends on your setup - I know how irritating it is to cook in an over-crowded kitchen, but if it's more open it's doable, and can help add some more post-dinner time.
    yeah. Sometimes out talking period does got a lot longer than just 15 minutes or something and then she does follow me in to the kitchen. It's a good sized kitchen, so there is room and sometimes the kids are even in there on the floor playing with some cars or what not. But I still want to be able to talk with my kids while going through their paperwork and stuff. And that's usually when we sit down with them and after that we are already sitting and just chill for a bit.

Getting up early 2 days out of the week would be hard. Maybe doable. I'd just be more tired on those days I guess. It's just very frustrating to see/hear all these people talking about how healthy and fit they are and how much they work out and play in the sun on the beach or in the park and having a good time and you are stuck in your normal, daily routine that rarely allows for other time to exercise. Far easier to do when you are single, in college and don't have so many other depending on you.

Kato on
    Signature??
  • SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Your wife could cook twice a week while you workout.

Serpent on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Do what stigweard said. Next week on two non-consecutive days, wake up at 5:15 and do your workout. Just jog/walk briskly and calisthenics/stretch if you don't have equipment. You will find that you can more quickly push through all that stuff you normally do after you wake up but before you drop off your kid. It may seem counter-intuitive, but fitting regular exercise in gives you MORE energy; you'll also find it's easier to go to bed at a reasonable time. If you find yourself short on time those days, alter the breakfast scenario on those days (cereal, fruit and bagels instead of cooking).

Early in the morning has always worked the best for me, that timeslot is the most resistant to getting skipped.

Also, I'm married, work a salary job, have a baby, and two dogs that need 2 half hour walks a day. I can do more in less time from 6:00 to noon if I've had the early morning exercise.

Djeet on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What my parents did was cook large portions. If you cook a huge amount of chili, for example, it takes only slightly longer the first day but the next day it's just heat it up and you're good to go.

I do the same but for lunch at work, occasionally as left-overs the next evening.

So, for example, if you cook a hearty soup/chili, you can have some crackers as a side one day, and pick up some french bread the next day for some variety. Or cook double of something time consuming that typically keeps well, and then prep the next day is cut significantly.

As for time savers, you should be able to shorten your shower time significantly. I can shower in 5-10 minutes, depending on whether I shave or not, and from the time I get in the shower to the time I'm dressed is typically 15 minutes. That's with my wife and I showering together. You also take 30 minutes to cook breakfast which, while sweet, is definitely a time eater. A bowl of cereal is boring, but you can pour it out and eat it in 5 minutes. Also, there's no reason that if you're going to cook everything that you can't have the kids in the kitchen talking with them about their day while you get started. I often talk to my wife about her day while I'm chopping veggies or something.

However, I don't think you necessarily need to worry about finding time to work out. You've got kids. And, more importantly, you're spending time playing with them each night. Why not make that your workout time? If you're running around, or lifting them up, or riding bikes with them, make your involvement more physical. OR, play with them while you're working out a bit. Say they're inside and playing with cars or toys or something -- rather than just sit there, "play" with your own stuff like weights, or something that you can quickly drop to either play with them.

But you can also focus on eating a bit healthier as well. It sounds like you're being a pretty cool dad, and I agree that spending time with your wife and kids is absolutely worthwhile. You didn't outline what your diet is, but if you're just a little chubby you may simply need to eat better, which would already fit into your schedule.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I agree with EggyToast - you can work out with your kids when you play with them. My mom used to do this with us and we really enjoyed it. It also will help tire the kids out for bedtime.

Alternatively, you could work out with you wife during that 9:00 pm hour. If you make say, every other day, a work-out day, you'll still get some quiet time to spend with each other.

witch_ie on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just have one parent do full duty on the kids for 2 of the days, like she cooks and you work out, or she handles the kids for the bathing etc while you work out, and then you swap.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    you could also work out WITH your wife every other day or something, during your alone time, unless she loathes the idea. or have athletic sex.

DiscoZombie on
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Take some of your lunch break and go for a 30 minute jog

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Take some of your lunch break and go for a 30 minute jog

just think of how gross he would be for the second half of his workday though :(

DiscoZombie on
  • BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you can get a day during the week to do a 1 hour intense exercise + 2 weekend days, that will be a decent enough routine to help you start with.

(Where in Kansas are you?)

Basar on
    i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think it's awesome that you're such a family man. And if the need isn't dire, as you've kind of made it out not to be, I don't see why it should be such a big deal.

Because you're the cook, why don't you first try to concentrate on cooking really healthy meals and just changing your diet up to be as healthy as possible?

As for working out, I'd say incorporating it into your playtime with your children would be the best. Maybe start trying to shoot some hoops with them? Or playing tag, or something.

Time with your children is just so important, and I'm saying this as a 20 year old. You seem to understand that and really enjoy and value it. Sooner or later your kids are going to want to spend their time after school at other places, and then you can do your own thing. But as for now, I'd say dropping a few pounds isn't worth sacrificing the time. So, if you feel the need to work out, either wake up earlier and do it then or try to do it with the kids. Swimming would probably be one of the most enjoyable things for them, now that I think of it. Kids love the pool.

Oh, and if its nice out you might be able to spend your valuable time with the wife going on walks, and then if the two of you feel comfortable, jogging, etc. You can still talk while you do that, and it'll only be like 30 mins., as I don't see you as someone wanting to start some sort of extreme regimen.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    EggyToast wrote: »
    What my parents did was cook large portions. If you cook a huge amount of chili, for example, it takes only slightly longer the first day but the next day it's just heat it up and you're good to go.

I do the same but for lunch at work, occasionally as left-overs the next evening.

So, for example, if you cook a hearty soup/chili, you can have some crackers as a side one day, and pick up some french bread the next day for some variety. Or cook double of something time consuming that typically keeps well, and then prep the next day is cut significantly.

As for time savers, you should be able to shorten your shower time significantly. I can shower in 5-10 minutes, depending on whether I shave or not, and from the time I get in the shower to the time I'm dressed is typically 15 minutes. That's with my wife and I showering together. You also take 30 minutes to cook breakfast which, while sweet, is definitely a time eater. A bowl of cereal is boring, but you can pour it out and eat it in 5 minutes. Also, there's no reason that if you're going to cook everything that you can't have the kids in the kitchen talking with them about their day while you get started. I often talk to my wife about her day while I'm chopping veggies or something.

However, I don't think you necessarily need to worry about finding time to work out. You've got kids. And, more importantly, you're spending time playing with them each night. Why not make that your workout time? If you're running around, or lifting them up, or riding bikes with them, make your involvement more physical. OR, play with them while you're working out a bit. Say they're inside and playing with cars or toys or something -- rather than just sit there, "play" with your own stuff like weights, or something that you can quickly drop to either play with them.

But you can also focus on eating a bit healthier as well. It sounds like you're being a pretty cool dad, and I agree that spending time with your wife and kids is absolutely worthwhile. You didn't outline what your diet is, but if you're just a little chubby you may simply need to eat better, which would already fit into your schedule.

I agree with everythign said here, plus actually working out with your wife. I work out with my girlfriend on occasion, and it's great(and sexy).

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited August 2008
    Thanks for some tips guys. It's not a huge deal to me...but I would like to shed a few pounds just for the sake of doing it and losing the little chub I have going on. My kids are ages 3 and 7. So doing some of the more strenuous outdoor stuff isn't the easiest thing for us to do. We do enjoy going to the pool and stuff and we did our fair share of that over the summer, but school is back in session and it's not hot enough to go swimming lately.

Recently...I have been trying to change my cooking habits some. Which has helped me with energy and not being so tired through the day. I can actually work and not sit here at 2 in the afternoon...ready to put my head down and pass out. I eat a big breakfast (slice or two of bacon, 2 eggs and some toast/tortilla with OJ), light lunch and then a moderate dinner.

My wife would like to work out too...but she's worse with the sleep time and more picky about it than I am. :D She values her sleep far more than I do :D And by the time it gets to be 9 at night...working out is the last thing we want to do. We have tried in the past to get up a good half hour early in the mornings and do a walk or something and it worked out ok for a while, but then it simply got too cold. Kansas is one of those places where you keep two wardrobes for a reason. Oh...and to answer the question, we live in Salina, KS.

But...there are a few good ideas in here and I think I will try to incorporate a few of them in to our routine if possible. I do appreciate the help and would love to hear some more suggestions on anything.

Kato on
    Signature??
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bacon and eggs probably aren't the best things to eat if you're looking to lose a little weight. Try out some oatmeal or whole grain cereal and fruit. Depending on what you eat for your other meals, you could be able to lose the weight through diet alone.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2008
    Can you post what exactly you have for each meal?

First of all, get rid of the ham slices and toast/tortilla in breakfast. Instead, either make a breakfast salad with hardboiled eggs. I usually do it with fresh spinach leaves, a few almonds & chestnuts, cherry tomatos, a spoonful of crushed bacon bits, 2 hardboiled eggs. You can prepare it the night before and add olive oil + vinegar plus S&P in the morning. You can also have a regular protein shake (non-whey) with some milk. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and it sounds like you are not taking it seriously :) Sorry for the honesty man, just trying to help!

Basar on
    i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

edited August 2008
    Bacon and eggs probably aren't the best things to eat if you're looking to lose a little weight. Try out some oatmeal or whole grain cereal and fruit. Depending on what you eat for your other meals, you could be able to lose the weight through diet alone.

WRONG. Eggs are excellent for any diet regardless of your goal.

A study published in the Nature journal indicates those who have 2 eggs in the morning have:
    exhibited a 65% greater weight loss, a 34% greater reduction in waist circumference (which some experts would argue is far more indicative of future health risks) and a 16% reduction in body fat

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/abs/ijo2008130a.html

And if you are worried about cholesterol and whatnot:
    The researchers note that between the groups, there was no discernible difference between total cholesterol, high density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL), low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL) and triglyceride levels.

Oatmeal is ok but unless you can down the no-sugar added cereal with water instead of milk, stay away from it. If you have to, get the whole milk.

Basar on

• shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd suggest getting your wife AND kids involved. How?

Sweatin to the Oldies.

Yes, as in Richard Simmons. Some of my fondest memories as a kid was doing this with my mom. She was big on getting back into shape after my youngest sibling was born, so I was 5, and we did it for like a year straight. Good fun! :D

Doesn't have to be Richard Simmons, but something that's not a bad workout and still fun for the kids. This could fit into one of the "play with the kids" timeslots, even if it was only a couple times per week.

Anyways, good luck to ya - that's quite a schedule!

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
    edited August 2008
    Yeah eggs are fine for breakfast if you just use a cooking spray for the oil, and you may want to swap out the meat for some yogurt.

EggyToast on
  • TokledTokled Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    A good saying I've heard: When in comes to food, everything in moderation, but NEVER eat bacon.

If you are trying to lose chub the very first thing you should work on is a healthy diet. Exercise can compliment a good diet well, but on the other hand if you are eating things like bacon for breakfast every morning you are shooting yourself in the foot and any exercise you don't won't be as effective. Diet is priority #1 when it comes to losing weight.

Tokled on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    Tokled wrote: »
    Diet is priority #1 when it comes to losing weight.

:^:

Basar on

• DaboohkDaboohk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you are considering exercising immediately before going to bed. While everybody is different, exercise can often release stress hormones involved in a fight-or-flight response. It can take a while (hours) for your body to resume it's normal chemical balance, and this can have an effect on how soon quickly you fall asleep after exercising, not to mention the quality you will get in the initial hours.

With this being said, I know a few of my friends who do exercise immediately before bed and swear by it.

http://soundmedicine.iu.edu/segment.php4?seg=805

Daboohk on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I agree with the dieting suggestion and also the suggestion to get the wife and kids involved. I think you mentioned riding bikes with the kids, why not make it a regular scheduled bike ride for an hour or so? Maybe just a day or two out of each week but every little bit helps.

Beyond that if you can block in even 15-20 minutes to do some working out anywhere, even if it's just right after you wake up in the morning, that will help as well. How about a stationary bike or a treadmill?

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you can't lose the bacon, swap it out for turkey bacon. If you absolutely love the toast, make sure it's whole wheat.

The fitness thread has a great diet that will help with losing weight if you don't get time to exercise, and it'll make you more awake during the day.

Aurin on
  • oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Every little bit helps. If you can get the kids in a swimming program on the weekends you can do laps while they are being taught, same goes for local team sports like soccer etc for your seven year old on weekends. If they do anything already with the school you should dedicate that same time to working out yourself - or even volunteer to coach and do the runs with the kids.

When your youngest is a little older its going to be a lot easier, family bike rides, rock climbing or whatever.

The family doing these things together is the absolute best way to instill healthy routines in your kids. I would try to aim for something that includes everyone, quality family time seems important to your family so I'm sure there's something you can work out, even if you take the oldest for a bit and your wife slowly helps the youngest get into a routine.

Diet, for sure.

onceling on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    Nookie/freetime at 9... unconscious at 9:45. Wake up at 4:45. Exercise.

7 hours of sleep, hour and a half to work out/shower. Sounds good to me.

Organichu on
    edited August 2008
    Thanks guys. Keep the tips and ideas coming. I do love my bacon in the morning...maybe I should cut it out though. As for the toast...yes. I do eat whole wheat toast. I used to eat white, but we changed that about a year ago.

I think doing more active things that include the whole family will be better when my youngest gets older. He has a bike and he loves to go out and ride, but he's only 3 and a half and he can't really push himself yet :) But he's working on it. When I say we go on bike rides, that is me and my other son. And we will go out for 30 minutes to an hour and ride around the neighborhood. It's getting harder for us to do that though with schooltime and us needing to get the kids to bed by the right time. During the summer they stayed up later so we could be outside or doing some family time till 8:30 or 9.

I know someone asked about our menu...it's funny, because we just made our menu and went to the store. This is our dinner menu for the next two weeks and we bought all the stuff we will need plus all the other normal day in day out stuff.

Mon - Tostados
    Tue - BLT's (homegrown tomatoes and jalapenos, I LOVE our garden)
    Wed - Grill out some burgers and hot dogs. (again...fresh garden veggies all over the burgers)
    Thur - Summer Sausage and block cheese (quick dinner, not the healthiest, but we some meetings and other priorities that night)
    Fri - We always schedule to go out to eat one time for our two weeks
    Sat - Cajun Chicken
    Sun - Sauteed Steak
    Mon - Tacos (Mondays are our mexican nights)
    Tue - Fr. Pizza (priorities in the evening...need something easy)
    Wed - Spagetti
    Thur - Fajitas
    Fri - Chili Dogs ( :P )
    Sat - Herbed Chicken (excellent chicken I cook in the pressure cooker)
    Sun - CHILI!!!

On days like Herbed Chicken and things that would necessitate a side dish...we eat pasta sides and a can or corn or a can of peas. I'll also get some fresh green beans at the store (until next year when I plant them in my garden) and cook those with some cooking spray. Sometimes we have whole wheat rolls as well. We RARELY have any type of a dessert with our dinners.

So...critique...give me some ideas. Remember...I have to cook something that my kids will eat as well and you know kids...they are pretty picky. Although...we do tell them that if they don't like it, then they can sit there till they do like it or go hungry. They usually pick at it a little, eat some of it here and there and then decide they have had enough. lol

Kato on
    Signature??
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man one thing I'll tell you is if it's not a budget issue for you dump canned veggies for those steam in the microwave ones or actually steam raw ones. Neither option takes much longer than raising the canned stuff to a boil and holy shit does it make a difference in the quality of the veggies (and the nutrition and the salt)

Second, consider looking at something really low impact as a regular first thing in the morning or before bed thing - that's a great time to say, stretch and do a pushups and situps.

If you want to do something during your lunch that leaves you not-so-sweaty, a 20 minute walk is actually pretty productive if you do it every day, it's not hard cardio but it will burn calories and make you more fit to walk, which a lot of office drones aren't. Once you get used to walking a little more, you can probably come up with a route that's got some decent scenery and maybe some stairs and have a good little Victorian constitutional with 40 minutes left for lunch.

if you were to combine those two things with a cardio session and a weight session on the weekends, and then find time for one other weight session in the week, you'd be doing pretty good.

Also, do you ever spell for your wife or vice versa so once of you can go do something? Time with your family is super, but if you're not taking care of yourself, you'll cost yourselves years of your time with them.

JohnnyCache on
  • TokledTokled Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kato wrote: »
    Mon - Tostados
    Tue - BLT's (homegrown tomatoes and jalapenos, I LOVE our garden)
    Wed - Grill out some burgers and hot dogs. (again...fresh garden veggies all over the burgers)
    Thur - Summer Sausage and block cheese (quick dinner, not the healthiest, but we some meetings and other priorities that night)
    Fri - We always schedule to go out to eat one time for our two weeks
    Sat - Cajun Chicken
    Sun - Sauteed Steak
    Mon - Tacos (Mondays are our mexican nights)
    Tue - Fr. Pizza (priorities in the evening...need something easy)
    Wed - Spagetti
    Thur - Fajitas
    Fri - Chili Dogs ( :P )
    Sat - Herbed Chicken (excellent chicken I cook in the pressure cooker)
    Sun - CHILI!!!

Wow that sounds like some good eats, can I move in with you?

I can definitely appreciate the fact that you work so hard to cook such delicious meals for your family, and I won't try to tell you convince you to do otherwise (I personally wouldn't build a diet around some of the dishes you mentioned, although it does sound like you are working in some of the little things that are good). I would recommend that you just make sure that the rest of the day (breakfast, lunch and snacks) you are eating very healthy. That coupled with some good exercise should allow you to enjoy the delicious dinners with your family while still meeting your weight loss goals.

I just realized this post is kind of off track from the advice you are seeking about finding time to exercise... sorry :P

Tokled on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Breakfast - A good toasted muesli with lots of fruit in it, and low-fat milk. One bowl of that with some no sugar added juice and you'll be fine until lunchtime. You'll also cut a lot of fat out of your diet straightaway. Also, it's delicious...

Edit - How far away is your work? Could you cycle there if your wife did the delivery duties with your youngest?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited August 2008
    Kato, I think the real problem is that your posts essentially illustrate that you're living a pretty good life. You play with your kids, you and your wife find time to spend together, you eat well and even grow some of your own food. You get some exercise but rather than ignore your kids for the gym, you chill with them.

Your home life is pretty nice. I'd argue that if waking up early makes you cranky or makes you tired at night, it's not worth the schedule change. Same with just "sleep less" overall, and your meals aren't complicated enough on most days to warrant a major change to save time. Some of them aren't very healthy but whatever.

I still think the biggest change is going to have to come from you simply adjusting your portions yourself. I love a big juicy burger, a good steak, and so on, but if you're trying to lose weight you want to eat less meats and more veggies. In other words, you can cook the same meal, but give yourself a smaller portion.

The breakfast definitely adds calories and fat that you don't need, and it's one of those things where you have to make a decision -- do you like your bacon more than being less chubby? Or is being chubby "OK" if you can enjoy breakfast more? It kind of sounds like you're eating pretty well most days so bacon might be a good thing to save for weekends.

Perhaps the diet problem comes from lunch? Are you eating out for lunch or taking leftovers? Again, I think the problem is simply that you're gaining some weight from just having a calorie surplus. It's a bit harder to peg where you're eating more from unless you keep a food journal, but at that point you don't need to tell us -- the food journal will tell you where your calorie surplus comes from. I still think this can just be a dietary change, and that because there's no obvious, major problem in your life, that's where you should look first.

Lots of parents get a little chubby when their kids are young, for the same reasons that you've outlined. However, the fact that you're just getting chubby from having a calorie surplus, instead of sitting around watching telly and drinking beer, says a lot.

For example, my wife complains about being around 20lb overweight -- not fat, but a little extra weight. Yet we regularly consume wine with our evening meals. We both know that drinking wine doesn't help anyone lose weight, but it's one of life's pleasures that we consider a nice tradeoff. It's harder for either of us to lose weight because we drink wine, but we refuse to give it up because we enjoy wine so much. So I'm about 5lb overweight and she's a little over as well, and we've mostly "stuck" there because we've decided "hey, we're OK with that -- let's just eat healthy otherwise." So we have meals that are like smoked salmon with artichokes -- and wine. Or some vegetarian dishes, or small (and subsequently cheap) steaks. We savor the food a little more and drink wine to really enjoy the full meal, and even though we could drop the wine and eat the same food and probably both be at a calorie deficit, what would the point be?

So, if you're only a "little" chubby, and you want to change it, try to eat a little less meat and a few more veggies at your meals. Drop the bacon in the morning, watch your lunches, but your home life sounds like it's more important to you. Which is great, in my opinion -- dropping "playing with your kids" in order to add "spend 1 hr at the gym" is kind of a crappy decision, if you ask me. So try to watch what you eat, and keep enjoying your family life.

EggyToast on
    edited August 2008
    Thanks Eggy. I have to admit, that I am living a good life right now for a man with not education...etc etc... No. I'm not trying to brag by any means, but just outlining my daily habits and being honest with everyone so they can get an idea of my situation and what I am trying to change. I do have to agree with you though....my bacon kind of sounds like your wine situation. It's something that everyone in the family enjoys in the morning. But I do know that I should cut it back some.

I do immensely value my family time and my time with my wife. It's very important to our relationship. So it's hard to give up that time for other things.

I will definitely consider removing the canned veggies and try to do the frozen veggies. I know there is some that you can buy and steam in the microwave for just a few minutes. I think I will try that stuff too as well. I don't see why it will taste much different than the canned stuff. lol. I really think I sometimes just need to eat smaller portions. I admit...I cook good food and sometimes I eat far too much. I enjoy an occasional beer, although I am pretty drunk right now. One of my wife's sisters turned 21 and asked us to take her out so we did...and now continueing the drinking at home. Yay!!! hehehehehe

As for lunches...I tend to eat some leftovers or a turkey sandwich or maybe a bean and cheese burrito. I try to eat a light lunch. Occasionally, I don't :) But usually I am pretty good about not eating a big lunch. If I eat a big lunch, then I just want to curl up and go to sleep...but having a big breakfast in the morning helps a LOT.

I do need to make a few changes. And the ideas you all have given have been awesome. It's definitely time to make a few changes in my diet...I think that's the most important thing to do right now. Fitting in some time for exercise will probably be easier when my kids are a little older and I really don't want to miss out on anything in their childhood. It's just too important to them and ourself. Thanks for everything guys...if you have any other ideas or what not...even criticism...please lay it on me.

Kato on
    Signature??
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It looks like diet should be changed up a little as you don't really have the time for working out.

Shouldn't be that hard, just think about what you're eating and why you are eating it, if you aren't hungry, don't eat till you are, and there is no need to eat bad food during a lunch hour or somesuch. No need to diet persay, just re-evaluate what you eat.

The Black Hunter on
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh, dude, steamed veggies are MUCH better - they're crisper, they aren't soggy, they have more nutrition, they look more like the food on the Food Network and less like mush from a can, they have way lower salt and preservatives, which is the huge health difference. There are also a LOT more veggies out there than peas and carrots - stuff like sliced and steamed squash and eggplant make really good sides.

Some things you have to watch are things like mexican night. There's nothing wrong with Fajitas or tacos or whatever, but there's a few things in mexican food you have to be really moderate with - sour cream, refried beans, and guacamole being 3 of them. Not to say don't eat them, but make sure to take a glance at the label and maybe make sure you're putting table or teaspoons of that stuff on and not big round scoops like you get a mexican restaurant.

Likewise if you make say, spaghetti, a whole plate covered in noodles is a pretty high-calorie dish, about half of a 2000 calorie diet if it's a biggish plate with meatsauce. if you nail a third of the plate with a veggie and a third with maybe a 6 oz serving of chicken or baked fish, you've reduced the calories and upped the nutrition of the meal, and you're teaching/learning to treat meat as a side, which is a damn good way to look at the balance of a plate.

As far as exercise goes, if you're just a feeling a little mid-life prosperity and need some get-right maintenance and not a major overhaul, you should be fine with three sessions a week of something moderately demanding, or like I said, something like a 20 minute walk every weekday, or some bodyweight/flexibility stuff in the morning or at night. If you take a gander at the big fitness thread in here, there's good info in there on getting a good, quick workout. A lot of people do way more exercising at the wrong levels of impact then is needed, you CAN find something that can help you in as little as three, 30 minute sessions a week, and you can get one of them, maybe two, in on the weekend. You might even be able to work it so you're biking or playing mini-golf or swimming or something with your family, and if you can do that in a way your kids find fun, you're setting them up for a lifetime of good habits.

JohnnyCache on
    edited August 2008
    I'd like to reiterate again...a big thank you to the PA H/A crew. I showed my wife this thread and she read through it and she agrees with a lot of things in here as well. We have toyed around and talked about the idea of getting something to do at home...something as simple as a bench with some weights (she wants to tone her muscles) or a treadmill or stationary bike for the cardio stuff. Since the time that we do have together is always at a time that we can't leave the house, it would be nice to have access to something at home. If we had something to work out with at home...we could do some more things together. She also really liked the idea of doing more physical things with the kids as they get older. And we are already making changes to our diet as well and plan to continue doing so.

We've also agreed to head out early a few mornings of the week for a jog or something else in the mornings. And to basically try and do what we can...when we can. There were a lot of great ideas that came out of this and I do appreciate it everyone.

Kato on
    Signature??