As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do you do Thrash Metal vocals?

Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I've always been interested in being able to do a James Hetfield-like growl, mainly for kicks, not because I really want to perform that type of music, but I can't figure out how to do it without straining my throat (which I avoid for obvious reasons, like permanent vocal chord damage). I'm guessing that it's a chest thing, but I just can't get it right. Are there teachers for this sort of thing?

smugduckling,pc,days.png
Smug Duckling on

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There are dvds and books. A quick search on guitarcenter.com comes up with this.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zen of Screaming is more about ways to do it without injuring yourself once you already know how to growl, which seems like what you're looking for. I own it, it was kind of "meh".

Hetfield's vocals aren't really all that growl-y compared to many, so I'm not really sure how far you want to go with it. There isn't anything about his vocals in particular that would require a lot of instruction or care to not injure your throat. If you are injuring your throat when you try and sing like him, you're trying too hard. Do it from your gut, not your throat, and see if that helps.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh, neat. All I could find when googling it was forums with people talking about it and half of them just saying "Get used to your throat hurting." Yeah, great advice... :P

I'll definitely check that out.

Oh, and you're right. I don't really care about screaming like in Death Metal, just about getting the heavy vocals with a bit of an edge to them, like Thrash.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png