As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Package being delivered via UPS - I won't be there to sign

reminderGTOreminderGTO Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Quick Question. I bought a phone from T-Mobile and it's being sent to my house tomorrow. The website says that it requires a signature but I can't be at my house at that time. What happens now? Will it be dropped of on my porch or taken back to UPS and resent again?

28qsde.gifZOGBY projects McCain win with 400+ EVs28qsde.gif
reminderGTO on

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    UPS will leave a slip with a number on it. If you want you can call the number and arrange to pick up the package at the UPS facility near you, usually from like 7-8 or 7-9 or something that night. Alternatively if you just do nothing they will attempt to redeliver it tomorrow and again the next day if you're still not around tomorrow. After that it will sit at their facility for a bit before they send it back to the sender.

If you have a car and some free time tonight, the easiest thing is usually to just call them and arrange to go and pick it up at the facility, though in my experience you may be there for a while.

Daenris on
  • Options
    i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have this same problem with my macbook today. There is a way to sign for it electronically online or have it so your nieghbors can sign for it. It should say so somewhere on the website.

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You could have T-mobile call UPS and have the shipment redirected. I doubt they'd change it to no sig being a phone. T-mobile would have to call ups to redirect though, as only a sender can change the destination of a package, at least in my experience.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    In my experience, 9 times out of 10 they just leave it on the doorstep anyway.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My roommate used to leave a note on the door telling them they can leave it on the porch, and signed it. That seemed to work every time he needed it to be done.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have this same problem with my macbook today. There is a way to sign for it electronically online or have it so your nieghbors can sign for it. It should say so somewhere on the website.

On the UPS website? I've had this problem several times before, and i've never seen that anywhere - always been told that there's no way to put a permanent waiver on file, no way to give them verbal permission, no way to have them call the shipper and get permission, nothing. Maybe you're thinking of FedEx?

Generally either had to have them redirect to another address with someone available to sign, or hope their driver flips a coin and decides it's safe enough to leave the package anyway. Depending on the exact conditions from the shipper, you might be able to sign the slip after they leave it, post it on your door, and have them leave the package the next day also.
    as only a sender can change the destination of a package, at least in my experience.

If you already have a notice in hand from a failed attempt, I think they consider that proof enough to trust you - i've been able to (over the phone with their customer service) change the address to my wife's workplace a few times now.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I know for me at least, they left a little slip that I signed and left on the door, and they left the package the next day. This was only a small order from B&N, mind you, so take that for what it's worth.

Just make sure you sort it out before they try three times. After that, it goes back to the sender. Almost lost my graduation pictures that way.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Deathwing wrote: »

On the UPS website? I've had this problem several times before, and i've never seen that anywhere - always been told that there's no way to put a permanent waiver on file, no way to give them verbal permission, no way to have them call the shipper and get permission, nothing. Maybe you're thinking of FedEx?

Generally either had to have them redirect to another address with someone available to sign, or hope their driver flips a coin and decides it's safe enough to leave the package anyway. Depending on the exact conditions from the shipper, you might be able to sign the slip after they leave it, post it on your door, and have them leave the package the next day also.
    as only a sender can change the destination of a package, at least in my experience.

If you already have a notice in hand from a failed attempt, I think they consider that proof enough to trust you - i've been able to (over the phone with their customer service) change the address to my wife's workplace a few times now.

It probably is. I order so much stuff using both that its easy for me to confuse them from time to time, although its not bad to let people know that such a things exists.

Also I agree with the previous statement, most of the time they will just leave the package on your doorstep. Especially if its a cell phone, I've had guitars left on my doorstep before.

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just had the same issue with Verizon - I just left a note on the door explaining I was not home to sign for the package and to please leave it by the door and signed and dated it. Generally that should be sufficient.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Herby wrote: »
    I just had the same issue with Verizon - I just left a note on the door explaining I was not home to sign for the package and to please leave it by the door and signed and dated it. Generally that should be sufficient.

I've never had this work... mostly because they can't prove it was you and UPS/FedEx will be liable if it's stolen since you never signed for it directly. The thing I've done before is go get it at their shipping center. After a certain time (usually 5 or 6 that day) you can go there and get packages that you weren't home to sign for - I picked up my home theater system this way, rather than sign to have them leave it there.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They'll leave a slip on the door with a tracking number and your options for what to do. It will also say when they are going to attempt delivery again. You will most likely be able to:

1) Sign the slip they leave it on the door for them to pick up the next time they try to deliver the package, and they'll leave the package on your doorstep.

2) Use the website and tracking number to have the package redirected to another address where it will be able to be signed for.

3) Use the website and tracking number to reschedule the delivery to a time when someone will be home to sign for it.

But you'll need that slip to do any of this, which means that they will have to attempt delivery once.

Dalboz on