As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

4800ti -> 6200, Will I notice the diference?

Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton DrEdinburghRegistered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I've currently got an aging AGP machine. In the fullness of time I'm going to be building me a new machine but while I wait I want to eek out a bit more performance from my machine as cheaply as possible. I can get a 128Mb GeForce 6200 for £22/£26 pounds. The £26 version has a 350 Mhz GPU rather than 300 Mhz.

Basically I'm wondering If I'll notice a significant difference over my current 128 Mb Geforce 4800ti? OR should I save my money for my custom build.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The ti4800 is much better than a 6200, apart from not supporting newer directXes.

To clarify - it's beacuse the 4 has more pixel pipelines... or something like that; IMO changing to anything below 6600GT/X1600Pro wouldn't be worth it - I would suggest a 7600GS or, better yet, a 6800GT.

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    robaal wrote:
    The ti4800 is much better than a 6200, apart from not supporting newer directXes.

To clarify - it's beacuse the 4 has more pixel pipelines... or something like that; IMO changing to anything below 6600GT/X1600Pro wouldn't be worth it - I would suggest a 7600GS or, better yet, a 6800GT.

I thought they had the same number of pipelines...

I've just checked and they do, however I didn't realsie the 6200 only has a 64bit memory interface, and slower memory speed. Oof, that's a bit sucky.

I'd love to get a better card but the £30-£50 price range is notably absent of cards that don't sucks compelete ass, mostly FX5200's. Anymore than £50 and it's not really economical to get a card for that rice that I'm only going to use for 6 or so months.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options
    edited September 2006
    Yeah, I don't understand it completely, wikipedia says that it has twice the texturing units?
    I'm under the impression that 6200 is the bottom of the barrel, but I can't say I've seen a direct comparison of these two so :shrug:

eidt: You could try getting a used 9800Pro maybe?

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.

• Options
    edited September 2006
    robaal wrote:
    Yeah, I don't understand it completely, wikipedia says that it has twice the texturing units?
    I'm under the impression that 6200 is the bottom of the barrel, but I can't say I've seen a direct comparison of these two so :shrug:

eidt: You could try getting a used 9800Pro maybe?

I think I'm going to look for a 6800LE. Everything I've read about them says that they are highly unlockable, and even if they aren't it's still double the pipelines and a 256bit memory interface. I missed out on buying one new for £45 a month or so ago so it's trawling E-Bay for me.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Basically I'm wondering If I'll notice a significant difference over my current 128 Mb Geforce 4800ti? OR should I save my money for my custom build.

Goddamn, yes you'll see a diff! The Geforce 6 series is damn near twice as fast as the 5 series, which was much faster than the 4 series. However, you might want to think about getting out of AGP and into PCIe... that might be something worth saving your money for, though they do sell cheap PCIe cards these days.

Locust76 on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Really? The wikipedia article seems to suggests that the 4800ti has twice the fillrate of the 6200.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Ignore Locust, he's very wrong.

The 6200 is a crap piece of hardware, at best equivalent to a midranged card from two-three years ago. It has economy written all over it, and performs badly.

Stick with your 4800 and save up for at least a 6600GS, or higher.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Jasconius wrote:
    Ignore Locust, he's very wrong.

The 6200 is a crap piece of hardware, at best equivalent to a midranged card from two-three years ago. It has economy written all over it, and performs badly.

Stick with your 4800 and save up for at least a 6600GS, or higher.

It's just as I suspected, I made a really good choice when I put the machine together a few years ago. The FX line had come out and had depressed the price of the Geforce 4 series before everyone realised the first gen FXs were crap.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    locust forgets within a new line of products are low end crap too

you have to compare the same product level when comparing old nad new lines

a 4800 was top end of N40's..... the 6200 is bottom end of N60's

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Gotcha ForceGotcha Force Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Locust76 wrote:

Goddamn, yes you'll see a diff! The Geforce 6 series is damn near twice as fast as the 5 series, which was much faster than the 4 series. However, you might want to think about getting out of AGP and into PCIe... that might be something worth saving your money for, though they do sell cheap PCIe cards these days.

ha 5 was much faster than the 4 series.. RIGHT

Gotcha Force on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    So my eye has been attracted by this card, at the critical sub £50 mark.

6600 gt

The only this is the speeds seem a little low, the GPU is clocked at 300Mhz and the memory is reported at 400Mhz. That seems awfully low does it not?

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited October 2006

6600 gt

The only this is the speeds seem a little low, the GPU is clocked at 300Mhz and the memory is reported at 400Mhz. That seems awfully low does it not?

The 6600GT was the budget/performance card to buy through I think 2004/2005 and some of '06, and has now been replaced by the 7600GT.

It's a great card, I have one in my pc right now. It can run HL2 at an ok framerate at 1280x960, but don't expect it to run oblivion on anything more than 800 x 600.

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited October 2006

Yeah, it should be 500/1000, even if they don't state the effective memory frequency that's still 100MHz slower memory and 200MHz slower core.

For AGP you can either get a 7600GS/X1600Pro, or I think you'll be able to get a used 6800GT/X800XL for ~100GBP on eBay, which should be roughly comparable to a 7600GT.

robaal on

• Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Man, 4800ti? Is that like pre-9/11 technology? Anyways, I think you'll get a slight boost from a 6200. You may have to dig up reviews to get a good comparison.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    Iriah wrote:

6600 gt

The 6600GT was the budget/performance card to buy through I think 2004/2005 and some of '06, and has now been replaced by the 7600GT.

PC Format still recommend it as their budget option for a graphics card.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Iriah wrote:
    It's a great card, I have one in my pc right now. It can run HL2 at an ok framerate at 1280x960, but don't expect it to run oblivion on anything more than 800 x 600.

Lies and slander. My Asus 6600GT runs Oblivion at 1280x1024 and gets 20+ FPS outdoors.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Midshipman wrote:
    Iriah wrote:

Lies and slander. My Asus 6600GT runs Oblivion at 1280x1024 and gets 20+ FPS outdoors.

It isn't all dependant on the graphics card, and seeing as his current card is a Geforce 4 I'm thinking he doesn't exactly have a very fast PC, and neither do I, so we won't get 20fps outdoors.

But personally I think my 6600GT is just shit. It is very buggy. Make no mistake it's a great card, but from a shitty manufacturer. I believe it may have some memory issues.

Iriah on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    So I bought the 6600GT I linked to earlier in the thread and it is great. Playing F.E.A.R multiplayer is like playing adifferent game.

I can thoroughly recommend it to any AGPers out there who don't want to get a new system.

Alistair Hutton on