As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So tomorrow I'm going book shopping

1234689

Posts

  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tossrock wrote:
    Defender wrote:
    Janson wrote:
    Richard Dawkins is a prick

    It doesn't matter how right or how wrong he is, he just comes across as a condescending prick

    The best part is that his views are no more rational or provable than the ones he has the arrogance to call "delusional."

    Wait what


    Which views are you referring to? Because most of them are perfectly rational, if not explicitly provable.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Following the September 11, 2001 attacks, when asked how the world might have changed, Dawkins responded:

    Many of us saw religion as harmless nonsense. Beliefs might lack all supporting evidence but, we thought, if people needed a crutch for consolation, where's the harm? September 11th changed all that. Revealed faith is not harmless nonsense, it can be lethally dangerous nonsense. Dangerous because it gives people unshakeable confidence in their own righteousness. Dangerous because it gives them false courage to kill themselves, which automatically removes normal barriers to killing others. Dangerous because it teaches enmity to others labelled only by a difference of inherited tradition. And dangerous because we have all bought into a weird respect, which uniquely protects religion from normal criticism. Let's now stop being so damned respectful!

    How about that one? Do I even need to say what's wrong with this?

    EDIT: Without looking for any more specific quotations, the general idea that the "science" answer to the mysteries of the universe is the obviously correct one despite that we only have circumstantial evidence is absurd; he criticizes creationists for believing things without proof, but his own beliefs cannot be proven.

    Defender on
    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Snow Crash

    Drez I love you.

    Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • edited January 2007
    Collapse by Jared Diamond is really really good.

    Also A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.

    In fact that second one is probably my favourite book ever. It's basically page after page after page of mind-boggling information delivered in Bill Bryson's incredibly witty and sharp style. Basically really really good.

    bongi on
  • naporeonnaporeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bongi wrote:
    Collapse by Jared Diamond is really really good.

    Also A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.

    In fact that second one is probably my favourite book ever.
    Dude, everything by Jared Diamond is good.

    naporeon on
  • zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Read DUNE.

    Read the first three original books:
    Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune.

    Also, don't read anything by Brian Herbert.
    He's in the habit of writing down festering horseshit that somehow gets itself published.

    zhen_rogue on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    hello you want to read 'the man who was thursday' immediately

    http://www.bartleby.com/158/ (complete text)

    one of my favourite books

    Orikaeshigitae on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    just on principal, I gotta post this

    slaughterhouse%20five.gif

    because it is my favorite book ever

    I read it about a dozen times when I was in high school

    Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    that's good too

    Orikaeshigitae on
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    out of all the vonnegut books i have, slaughterhouse five is low on the list

    its really really good

    i just like most of his other stuff even more




    breakfast of champions is one of my favorite books ever

    so maybe that one

    Knob on
  • naporeonnaporeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Knob wrote:
    out of all the vonnegut books i have, slaughterhouse five is low on the list

    its really really good

    i just like most of his other stuff even more




    breakfast of champions is one of my favorite books ever

    so maybe that one
    yep

    (every time knob posts assume i agree)

    Orikaeshigitae on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    Knob wrote:
    out of all the vonnegut books i have, slaughterhouse five is low on the list

    its really really good

    i just like most of his other stuff even more




    breakfast of champions is one of my favorite books ever

    so maybe that one
    yep

    (every time knob posts assume i agree)

    I disagree a lot.

    Slaughterhouse Five tops my list because it was my first I read by him, and I really fell in love with it.

    Breakfast of Champions, however, is great but not his best. His collection of short stories is fucking brilliant, but for top-of-the-list wonderfullness, I'd point to Galapagos or God Bless You Mister Rosewater.

    Also, his cousin lives in Anacortes, near where my fiancee used to work. He would come in and rent videos from her all the time. Nice old fellow. Looks a lot like Kurt.

    Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    Wait, not Galapagos.

    Cat's Cradle.

    I always get those two mixed up.

    Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    hey did you guys ever read Herbert West: Re-Animator

    Knob on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    predictable and stale, but a signature move with a topical twist

    I'll give it two stars out of a possible five

    Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    cat's cradle is another favorite of mine

    Knob on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    that's the one with all the ice nine and stuff, right?

    yeah, cat's cradle

    that's a great book


    oh, speaking of books, Knob there is a used bookstore near me that has a copy of Animal Farm illustrated by Steadman, signed by Steadman, for, like, $120 or something.

    It is totally awesome, but totally not going to pay that much for a book I'd be afraid to read.

    Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    oh my god

    that is almost worth the price



    but even though i love books, i'd never pay more than $100 for one

    Knob on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    apparently he did versions of Alice in Wonderland and Treasure Island, too.

    But yeah, I just about fucking died when I saw it.

    If I was all Mister Carefree Moneybags McCashinpockets or something I'd have picked it up and then ate it page by page just to prove how much I savored each papery morsel

    But baby's got bills to pay

    Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    holy shit i'd pay that for a signed Steadman book

    but then i am teh art nerd

    and he considers alice in wonderland one of his best works

    Orikaeshigitae on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    orikae it wasn't very large and/or heavy

    but it would totally increase your effective indie-snob level by approximately 37 Sufjans

    Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    i hate sufjan

    but i love steadman, i have around ten books with his stuff in them

    Orikaeshigitae on
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    oh god are fucking indie jerkoffs all blah blah blah ralph steadman?

    goddamnit


    i would appreciate it if goddamned buttfucking gaytards would stop liking things that i like

    Knob on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Knob wrote:
    hey did you guys ever read Herbert West: Re-Animator

    Yes. I based all of my philosophical beliefs on Herbert West's ideas on materialism. This specific way of thinking is known as Plague Daemonism.

    Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Veretas wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Snow Crash

    Drez I love you.

    <3

    Is that because you got the book and like it?

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
    Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Playing: Persona 5 Royal (PS4), Animal Crossing (SW), FF7remake (PS4)
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Are we still talking about books? Because:

    0575073357.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1118908183_.jpg

    Or really anything by him.

    And if you're looking for the funny:

    0525949089.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

    Also, Atlas Shrugged is really good. Coincidentally, a lot of Bioshock is based on stuff in it.

    Was any of this mentioned before? I dunno, I only read the first post and the last page.

    Ubik on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I keep meaning to pick up The Once And Future King because I hear it's great. I have a massive backlog of unread books though: Guns, Germs, and Steel, The Name of the Rose, War and Peace (though I doubt I'll be reading that any time soon), and A Feast For Crows, to name a few.

    I recently threw away a hardcover copy of Book 10 of The Wheel of Time while cleaning up and reorganizing my stuff. I remember I bought it in pristine condition at a library book sale for 20 cents a little over a year ago, on impulse. When I found it again, I realized I would have to read the million preceding books, said "fuck that" and tossed it. I know I could have probably traded it in or sold it or something, but I figured I was doing the world as service by throwing it away.

    I should have burned it.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
    Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Playing: Persona 5 Royal (PS4), Animal Crossing (SW), FF7remake (PS4)
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Veretas wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Snow Crash

    Drez I love you.

    <3

    Is that because you got the book and like it?

    Yes, I read it like....5 times.

    Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Veretas wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Veretas wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Snow Crash

    Drez I love you.

    <3

    Is that because you got the book and like it?

    Yes, I read it like....5 times.

    Kewlz. It's really bizarre in some parts, neh?

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
    Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Playing: Persona 5 Royal (PS4), Animal Crossing (SW), FF7remake (PS4)
  • GefahrMausGefahrMaus Registered User
    edited January 2007
    parent00610315509sy.gif

    this is a great book.. so is every thing else by the author.

    funny as hell and twisted.

    GefahrMaus on
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    I keep meaning to pick up The Once And Future King because I hear it's great. I have a massive backlog of unread books though: Guns, Germs, and Steel, The Name of the Rose, War and Peace (though I doubt I'll be reading that any time soon), and A Feast For Crows, to name a few.

    All of those are excellent reads. And yes, The Wheel of Time series is not worth the effort anymore, sadly.

    Darth Waiter on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    I keep meaning to pick up The Once And Future King because I hear it's great. I have a massive backlog of unread books though: Guns, Germs, and Steel, The Name of the Rose, War and Peace (though I doubt I'll be reading that any time soon), and A Feast For Crows, to name a few.

    All of those are excellent reads. And yes, The Wheel of Time series is not worth the effort anymore, sadly.

    I'm going to wait for A Dance With Dragons to come out, I think, before reading AFFC. That's still due out this year, right?

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
    Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Playing: Persona 5 Royal (PS4), Animal Crossing (SW), FF7remake (PS4)
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    I'm going to wait for A Dance With Dragons to come out, I think, before reading AFFC. That's still due out this year, right?

    I honestly wouldn't wait; you'll want to read everything to date at least twice and read into all of the subtext and plot twists. There are many of them.

    And by many, I mean "without end."

    Go now, grasshopper.

    Darth Waiter on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    I'm going to wait for A Dance With Dragons to come out, I think, before reading AFFC. That's still due out this year, right?

    I honestly wouldn't wait; you'll want to read everything to date at least twice and read into all of the subtext and plot twists. There are many of them.

    And by many, I mean "without end."

    Go now, grasshopper.

    I'm pretty good at keeping everything in my head, so I don't think I'll be reading AFFC twice this year regardless.

    My goal is to wait until a hard publication date for ADWD is announced and then start reading A Game of Thrones again. By the time A Dance with Dragons comes out, I should be done with A Feast for Crows (having read the first three a second time, just to stay fresh).

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
    Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Playing: Persona 5 Royal (PS4), Animal Crossing (SW), FF7remake (PS4)
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Player of Games by Ian M Banks is pretty sweet.

    [Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    snip
    Oh, okay. I got the impression that you had never read any of them. Carry on. But still, AFFC is fucking great with some of the character development, even though you only get to see half of the cast. Some of the things I've been waiting for finally happened.

    Darth Waiter on
  • superslothsupersloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I was thinking of picking up either Children of Men, or Snow Crash this week.

    supersloth on
    elsupersloth.jpg
    muh.
  • naporeonnaporeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    supersloth wrote:
    I was thinking of picking up either Children of Men, or Snow Crash this week.
    Don't expect the former to resemble the movie.

    It's damned good, but very, very different.

    naporeon on
  • Cerpin TaxtCerpin Taxt Registered User
    edited January 2007
    I'm a big Arthur C. Clarke fan myself.
    Childhood's End and The Light of Other days.

    Rand is a good author but an awful philosopher.
    Beautiful prose with poorly-executed ideas.


    That thread-raping was glorious.

    Cerpin Taxt on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh great. Another uniquely spelled Jordan. Cuz one clearly isn't enough.

    Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters
Sign In or Register to comment.