As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So tomorrow I'm going book shopping

• Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Napalm and Silly Putty by George Carlin. Best thing I ever had with me on a boring ass plane ride. Very entertaining. :^:

Lucky Cynic on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mine is spelled with a y to make it girlier!

Do I have to behead this guy? Like we're highlanders?

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Cerpin TaxtCerpin Taxt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i spose i could just keep throwing vowels in there until i ended up with jeouoieoeaeurdan but that wouldn't look right.

Cerpin Taxt on
  • superslothsupersloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    naporeon wrote:
    supersloth wrote:
    I was thinking of picking up either Children of Men, or Snow Crash this week.
    Don't expect the former to resemble the movie.

It's damned good, but very, very different.

Oh I'm not, I'm just interested in seeing the direction the book went in, and what was and wasn't fleshed out.

supersloth on
    elsupersloth.jpg
    muh.
    edited January 2007
    Jordyn wrote:

There can be only....two? :?

Cerpin Taxt on
  • naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Napalm and Silly Putty by George Carlin. Best thing I ever had with me on a boring ass plane ride. Very entertaining. :^:
    My favorite "I read this in a long plane ride" book was Flu: The Story of the Great Influenza Pandemic, by the most unfortunately-named author ever...

Gina Kolata.
    there can be only one, etc., etc., etc.

naporeon on
  • dushdush Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Jeordan wrote:
    Jordyn wrote:

There can be only....two? :?

i saw that edit you sneaky fox

dush on
    imeandangdogwhyyougottadoathing.PNG
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Jeordan is Jordyn?

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    No, my alt is Framling.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
    edited January 2007
    I knew a guy, let's call him X, on another forum who had an alt that was his "girlfriend". He was just another on these Japan-wannabes. He said that he lived in Tokyo and his girlfriend was the most beautiful woman there. X always told everyone what a badass and how awesome he was an he used the alt to confirm this. Sometimes he posted in Japanese with both accounts, but after some time a guy who actually spoke Japanese said that all X posted was something like "Buy this whatever for only two rape dollars". But then he said that this guy was just lying and then there was some boring conversation no one cared about it anymore.

One day a mod asked X why he and his girlfriend always post from the same IP although he always told that they don't live together. X tried to convince everyone that the mod was lying.

Then there was this one camwhore thread in which he posted pics of him and his girlfriend. He looked really young and his girlfirend's photos looked really professional. And there wasn't one picture were you could see them both together. Some guy then pointed out that his girlfriend actually was some famous Japanese model. The same guy then found X on another forum where he actually was a 15 year old from Germany.

Now, this could've been really awesome with the right guys laughing at him, but instead there just were some lol pwned posts and a mod being angry at the guys laughing at X and threatening to ban them.

Then there was that one retard who tried to defend X by asking why no one understands that his girlfriend really is that model.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
    edited January 2007
    boy do i sure wish i was a hot japanese model

Cerpin Taxt on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PotU wrote:
    I knew a guy, let's call him X, on another forum who had an alt that was his "girlfriend". He was just another on these Japan-wannabes. He said that he lived in Tokyo and his girlfriend was the most beautiful woman there. X always told everyone what a badass and how awesome he was an he used the alt to confirm this. Sometimes he posted in Japanese with both accounts, but after some time a guy who actually spoke Japanese said that all X posted was something like "Buy this whatever for only two rape dollars". But then he said that this guy was just lying and then there was some boring conversation no one cared about it anymore.

One day a mod asked X why he and his girlfriend always post from the same IP although he always told that they don't live together. X tried to convince everyone that the mod was lying.

Then there was this one camwhore thread in which he posted pics of him and his girlfriend. He looked really young and his girlfirend's photos looked really professional. And there wasn't one picture were you could see them both together. Some guy then pointed out that his girlfriend actually was some famous Japanese model. The same guy then found X on another forum where he actually was a 15 year old from Germany.

Now, this could've been really awesome with the right guys laughing at him, but instead there just were some lol pwned posts and a mod being angry at the guys laughing at X and threatening to ban them.

Then there was that one retard who tried to defend X by asking why no one understands that his girlfriend really is that model.

Oh god what I would give to have this happen here.

Straightzi on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PotU wrote:

what the fuck?

bunch of godless, mincing pussies

PiptheFair on
    edited January 2007
    Not to forget, it was on a WoW board.

That should explain it all.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • revolverevolve Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    An epic tale.

revolve on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2007
    PotU wrote:
    Not to forget, it was on a WoW board.

That should explain it all.

Cerpin Taxt on
  • JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I really enjoyed: The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie

It's the first of three books, the other two of which haven't been published yet. I really enjoyed it.

Johannen on
  • GefahrMausGefahrMaus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The Archer series by Bernard Cornwall are very good. So is Stonehenge by the same author.

GefahrMaus on
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Personally 2 summers ago I flew through the first 3 ASoIaF books when I just stumbled upon them on my own at my college's library. Then when AFfC came out I read it and although I didn't give up on it I found it almost a labor to finish it. I cherished the few chapters of Arya and Sam but it was for the most part the chars I hate, and while I enjoy reading about the downfall of some of them, reading almost an entire book with just them was tiresome.

I know that a big part of ADWD will be covering, timeline wise, what already happened in AFFC but with the other half of the cast. That better not be ALL of the book either, there better be a big chunk of new stuff too. I mean otherwise reading AFFC will have lessened the enjoyment of reading ADWD because we know nothing too epic or drastic happens or news of it would've spread in book 4.

....and I really need to reread A Feast for Crows before starting in on ADWD but I really don't look forward to doing so.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
    edited January 2007
    GefahrMaus wrote:
    The Archer series by Bernard Cornwall are very good. So is Stonehenge by the same author.
    He is such a crap writer.

But. I. Can't. Stop. Reading. These.

naporeon on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Perdido Street Station by China Mieville

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • RonjonRonjon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just bought my last book for the semester, which brings my semester total to 700. I hate having to increase a credit card limit for friggin books.

Ronjon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ronjon wrote:
    I just bought my last book for the semester, which brings my semester total to 700. I hate having to increase a credit card limit for friggin books.

I bought a biology book for like $110 last year

i opened it and used it once

got a B in the class

:|

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited January 2007
    My favorite literature course that I have taken at this college has to be "Utopia."
    An literary analysis of Utopian philosophy etc etc blah blah

The reading list looked like:
    Some stupid plato and Moore
    Herland (awful. with a capitol awf. the last of the bad books in the class fortunately)
    Lost Horizon (Highly recommended)
    1984 (obv)
    Childhood's End
    Anthem (eghn)
    The Giver

Keep in mind, the school I'm at does OCAAT, so these were all given to be read in a period of 3 weeks. Which makes for some heavy reading. I generally skipped the books that were either just incomprehensible (moore) or just bad (Herland). But Ill be damned if it wasnt a really good month of reading.

Cerpin Taxt on
    edited January 2007
    Fallout wrote:
    Ronjon wrote:

I bought a biology book for like $110 last year

i opened it and used it once

got a B in the class

:|
    Yeah. I stopped buying most of my textbooks. They always had 2-3 copies in the library, for the very few times I actually read the books.

I must've saved somewhere in the neighborhood of $3,000 over the course of my last three years of college.

naporeon on
    edited January 2007
    my school does one class a month

the return policy for barnes and noble is 60 days.

dont think too hard on this one.

Cerpin Taxt on
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm starting to read Master and Commander books again by Patrick O'Brian, man those are good

DrIanMalcolm on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2007
    So what the hell happened in here?

Unknown User on
  • ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fallout wrote:
    Perdido Street Station by China Mieville

How is this?

A lot of people have been telling me its pretty good, and the cover intrigued me but I never bought it. I mean what is it about?

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's takes place in this city that's like a steampunk version of Charles Dickens' London. There is also occult and magic shit but it's not shoved down your throat.

I'm like halfway through with it and it's fucking amazing. Get it immediately.

Captain K on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I make it a point to shit on House Of Leaves anytime it's mentioned.

Why? I'm an asshole! Fun loving indeed, but an asshole to the bone!

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    House of Leaves is a pretty cool book. Creepy as fuck, too.

The author's other book, Only Revolutions, isn't as good (In my opinion), but still an entertaining read.

Moriveth on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lisey's Story by Stephen King is probably one of his best books, in my opinion.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Death And The Penguin by Andrey Kurkov is one of my favorite books ever.

(Favorite book ever? East of Eden)

Moriveth on
    edited January 2007
    Moriveth wrote:
    (Favorite book ever? East of Eden)
    The bulk of Steinbeck's oeuvre can be condensed into one sentence fragment:

Poor people suffering.

naporeon on
  • KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i hate steinbeck

i dont want to read wordy descriptions of poor dudes

Kovak on
    edited January 2007
    I think that's kind of a generalization, but that was probably what you were aiming for.

Moriveth on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i hate steinbeck

Kovak this is going to sound entirely random, but are you in JV math team or Varsity?

Also, I went to Border's today to look for House of Leaves and World War Z.

They had neither, but I ended up buying this for half-price.

Sars_Boy on
    edited January 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    i hate steinbeck

Kovak this is going to sound entirely random, but are you in JV math team or Varsity?

Also, I went to Border's today to look for House of Leaves and World War Z.

They had neither, but I ended up buying this for half-price.

Holy crap, that's pretty cool.

I still have a fuckton of books to read, though. Most notably, all the Thomas Pynchon books I got from Fizz.

Moriveth on
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I couldn't make it 20 pages through The Grapes of Wrath the first time I picked it up, but when I came back to it a year later I really enjoyed it. But I can see why people would take issue with, say, the chapter devoted to a turtle crossing the road. That leaves itself pretty wide open to ridicule.

redhead on