As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guitar Hero + wall-to-wall preaching = Guitar Praise

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
Yes, a company called Digital Praise (actual slogan: "Glorifying God through Interactive Media") is about to come out with a game called Guitar Praise. Rock and Roll is the devil's music after all, so they've taken Guitar Hero, stripped out all the non-references to Jesus and replaced them with references to Jesus set to something that can vaguely be called music.

I think the company's own website describes it best:
Grab the guitar and play along with top Christian bands! Shred those riffs or blast the bass…you add a unique sound to the solid Christian rock. But watch out: if you can't keep up, the artists will take a break and stop the music. Crank it up and try again - you'll soon be rockin' with the best while praising the Lord!

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/08/guitar-praise-t.html

Large_Guitar_Praisev1.gif

Who will help you rock out to the Lord? Damned if I know. Maybe you'll recognize somebody on this list:
Artist Song Name
12 Stones Broken
Bride Same Ol' Sinner
Caedmons Call There You Go
Casting Crowns Lifesong
Chris Tomlin Made to Worship
Darrell Evans So Good To Me
David Crowder Band Foreverandever Etc.
Day Of Fire Reap and Sow
dc Talk Jesus Freak
Family Force 5 Love Addict
Flyleaf Perfect
Hawk Nelson The Show
Hawk Nelson Friend Like That
Inhabited Rescue Me
Israel & New Breed All Around
James Clay Franklin Park
Jared Anderson Blind Man
Jennifer Knapp Undo Me
Jeremy Camp Tonight
Jessie Daniels What I Hear
Jonah33 Father's Song
Josh Bates Perfect Day
Kutless Beyond the Surface
Kutless Hearts of the Innocent
Lincoln Brewster Spin
Nate Sallie All About You
Nevertheless The Real
Newsboys Something Beautiful
Paul Baloche Rock of Ages
Paul Baloche All The Earth Will Sing Your Praises
Petra Backsliding Blues
Pillar When Tommorrow Comes
Red Breathe Into Me
Relient K I Need You
Seventh Day Slumber Awake
Skillet The Older I Get
Skillet Rebirthing
Skillet Savior
Spoken Wind In My Sails
Spoken Falling Further
Spur 58 Sleepwalkers
Stellar Kart Procrastinating
Superchick We Live
The Crucified The Pit
This Beautiful Republic Going Under
Thousand Foot Krutch The Flame in All of Us
Thousand Foot Krutch The Art of Breaking
tobyMac I'm For You
Todd Agnew This Fragile Breath
Warren Barfield My Heart Goes Out
Whitecross Who Will You Follow
Whitecross When The Walls Tumble Down

And yes, they're selling their own plastic guitar for this game so you don't have to touch those heathen things offered by Harmonix and Neversoft.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Some of those bands are pretty decent rock considering it's christian music. I used to listen to some of them in fact.

However, everyone knows that the devil and drugs inspire the best music, so I have since moved on.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    they've taken Guitar Hero, stripped out all the non-references to Jesus and replaced them with references to Jesus set to something that can vaguely be called music.

Aw man, it looks like they're just using regular old "Christian rock" songs. From that line I was hoping for something more
    FaithPlusOne-1.jpg
    -y

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's funny, right after I got Guitar Hero II me and a buddy of mine jokingly came up with a christian rock version we dubbed 'Praise Hero'.

It was terribly amusing at the time.

I'd imagine this version is decidedly less blasphemous.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Maybe you'll recognize somebody on this list:

dc Talk Jesus Freak
    I'll admit I recognize this one.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wait, was this linked in Tycho's news post? Or is this just some happy co-incidence?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My wife looked over that list and said that some of those bands are decent from back in the day when she used to listen to some christian music. This might be decent for someone who isn't me.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, I'd be hesitant to call some of those bands "rock"

I was really hoping theyd have some stuff like Zao or As I lay Dying on that list

And yeah, in case you're wondering,
    <-lawlfundie baptist.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I see it was in the news post. Well there you go.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I used to play NES with the lead singer of Thousand Foot Krutch when I was 13 while his older brother (My then best friend) was at Hockey. Cool guy Trevor. Not bad music either.

Scotty on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What? No Styper? For shame.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There actually is some decent christian music out there, and I'll admit to enjoying it if it is not completely overt.

Like I found some pretty sick metal - awesome music, the vocals were great - but then I heard the actual lyrics. D:

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    I see it was in the news post. Well there you go.

Huh. Well, what a coincidence.

I'll agree with Tycho in that there's some room for Christian music in Rock Band's DLC, but getting music that's.... universally good (and appealing to people who aren't already into Christian music) may be a challenge. I'm actually reading a book called Rapture Ready!: Adventures in the Parallel Universe of Christian Pop Culture, and it suggests that Christian Bands tend to be judged more on how often they mention Jesus and pray during their sets than, well, the quality of the music. Because if someone's spreading the good word of the Lord, you don't want to be too critical, or so the theory goes.

For Christian music I'd personally pick some U2, or maybe that Doobie Brothers Song ("Jesus is just all right with me"), but many Christians don't believe it's Christian enough.

(amazon's Rapture Ready link: http://www.amazon.com/Rapture-Ready-Adventures-Parallel-Christian/dp/0743297709/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220026791&sr=8-1)

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sufjan Stevens, now there's some good way too christian music.

Anathallo, there's another one.

Might actually be fun to play some of their songs as well.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm surprised noone has pointed out yet that one of these bands is in Rock Band.

Houndx on
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Gyral wrote: »
    What? No Stryper? For shame.

Yeah, STRYPER should definitely be there.

Scotty on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    BTW - no Creed? MxPx? Jesus is just Alright with Me?

I mean, it's not like there haven't been successful mainstream Christian artists with a bit better name recognition than whoever those folks in the OP are. Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, - heck, Elvis - all did Christian albums.

Although the real meal ticket seems to me to be more in the Singstar arena, where there's tons and tons of gospel music just waiting to be put into a video game, like Aretha Franklin or Sam Cooke & the Soul Stirrers.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm most surprised that on the site it advertises the game comes on CD-ROM. That's fitting a lot of praise on one small storage disc.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ahahahahahaha!

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Jokes aside, I think quite a few people would be interested in some christian rock DLC, but would never admit it to anyone. :)

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wyrlsswyrlss Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh my gods, this makes me rage out!

There's no third day on there!

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm most surprised that on the site it advertises the game comes on CD-ROM. That's fitting a lot of praise on one small storage disc.

It's probably just Midi files or something terrible like that.

They get bonus points for Mac support...All the way back to 10.3!

But seriously, to me this represents everything that is wrong with Christianity today.. But that's off Topic....I actually think a game like this has more potential to be a good game than any other Bible-Related video games.. ("Good Job! But you Forgot Baby Moses!")....

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I liked Jars of Clay

Some song about moving mountains or something, it was AGES ago

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I subscribe to the Jesus thing and it makes me sad that Christian videogames are all presented as low-budget kid-friendly nonsense or unplayable garbage (or usually both)

I mean come on

There's totally enough material in the Bible to make a rad RTS from

I'm sure they could come up with something really good if they'd quit taking the "preach to the choir" strategy

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The dude from Stryper took over for Brad Delp after he died, which is kind of cool.

BubbaT you should die for mentioning Creed.

Some of those bands are not terrible, but the best Christian bands are not on that list, unfortunately.

It really needs the best Christian band ever: Blindside. I saw these guys live and they were really damn good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6jaFW8ixR4&feature=related

Also, Project 86 is an awesome Christian band. Also really good live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFNsJ5T3laY

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Arcibi wrote: »
    I subscribe to the Jesus thing and it makes me sad that Christian videogames are all presented as low-budget kid-friendly nonsense or unplayable garbage (or usually both)

I mean come on

I'm sure they could come up with something really good if they'd quit taking the "preach to the choir" strategy

On the one hand, I agree with you. A Bible based RTS, particularly settings from the Old Testament, would be great.

On the other hand, it would never get off the ground. Too many people ignore the violent/war/historical aspects of the bible and would probably rise up and claim the game was an instrument of Satan or something....

There are just too many crazy "Christians" out there to let such a game thrive....

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Arcibi wrote: »

I mean come on

On the one hand, I agree with you. A Bible based RTS, particularly settings from the Old Testament, would be great.

On the other hand, it would never get off the ground. Too many people ignore the violent/war/historical aspects of the bible and would probably rise up and claim the game was an instrument of Satan or something....

There are just too many crazy "Christians" out there to let such a game thrive....

Which is precisely why it needs to be made.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I would probably buy this game if it was a console game and you could use existing peripherals with it...

midgetspy on
  • Options
    The Big ShingThe Big Shing Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ya that list is a little suspect. I have a feeling that they either A. didnt know who to target (within Christian circles obviously) and B. more likely had a problem getting christian bands/producers on board with this. Seriosuly, no Third Day? No Jars of Clay? No AudioAdrenaline? A 10 year old dcTalk song?

I suspect this is similar to the first guitar hero - how they had to get cover artists for like over half the songs, but once the game got incredibly popular the real bands wanted to be a part of it. Lol, unfortunately, this game probably wont get that popular.

I still want to get it though, if it's halfway decent my youthgroup will LOVE it. We play Guitar Hero and Rock Band as it is, but have always wished that some of the christian and worship songs we listen to were on the games too. (see the "I wish i could load my own music even tho its impossible" postulate that everyone wishes they could do)

Also, I wonder if this will sell more than GH: Aerosmith

The Big Shing on
    Yeoldemapmaker.com = my sweet flash site where you can design and print DnD maps for free directly from browser.
  • Options
    ZegunaZeguna Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dangit, no Jars of Clay.

Zeguna on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I hope some songs from this album are on it

709christianrockhardalbyl2.jpg

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    fodderboyfodderboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zeguna wrote: »
    Dangit, no Jars of Clay.

I always thought "Work" would be a great song for rock band.

fodderboy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    fodderboy wrote: »
    Zeguna wrote: »
    Dangit, no Jars of Clay.

I always thought "Work" would be a great song for rock band.

TRUE THAT

The Big Shing on
    Yeoldemapmaker.com = my sweet flash site where you can design and print DnD maps for free directly from browser.
  • Options
    fodderboyfodderboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    No Switchfoot? One of the few bands to cross over in to mainstream.

Chevelle - even though they have shed their 'christian roots'

Relient K - should have picked a different song (Lion-o! tribute to the Thundercats!)

rant

the problem is most Christian music sucks: Sometimes its a lack a of talent, or a lack of production/money usual both. Sometimes it is just a catchup to a current trend...which makes it even worse.

On the flip side, you got some one who has talent and can put out good music - and they get ignored because they have "Christian music" label attached.

/rant

Five Iron Frenzy 4 ever!

fodderboy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Some of those bands are not terrible, but the best Christian bands are not on that list, unfortunately.

It really needs the best Christian band ever: Blindside. I saw these guys live and they were really damn good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6jaFW8ixR4&feature=related

Also, Project 86 is an awesome Christian band. Also really good live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocLOtYNiNmQ

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My problem with christian rock is that... well they only ever seem to sing about Christianity. Gets a little old.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My problem with christian rock is that... well they only ever seem to sing about Christianity. Gets a little old.

I was about to say something similar though more along the line of all songs being about praising "him". Whoever that may be.

Then again, I guess if you take the praising out of the equation it's no longer really christian focused.

edit: there's also the issue of it really sucking

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I was about to say something similar though more along the line of all songs being about praising "him". Whoever that may be.

Then again, I guess if you take the praising out of the equation it's no longer really christian focused.

Watch the videos I posted. WATCH THEM.

You can write songs about the Christian lifestyle without them being praise songs.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

You can write songs about the Christian lifestyle without them being praise songs.

I did and I also listened to a lot of that type of music in my younger days. To be honest the whole Christian/Emo fusion thing I find to be particularly off-putting.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

exactly. there are two basic sides of christian music, theres the praise and worship side (can you guess what those songs are like?) and then theres the side that just deals with everyday stuff, the struggles, setbacks, and celebrations of life.

Like with all music theres the content of the lyrics, the sound of the music, and the quality/skill level of the performers.

and now for my awesome christian band plug. MuteMath.
    sorta half rock half electronica i dont even know, but Reset is such a badass song, and instrumental!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6FUDOV9Glo

The Big Shing on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I did and I also listened to a lot of that type of music in my younger days. To be honest the whole Christian/Emo fusion thing I find to be particularly off-putting.

Okay Blindside is a little emo but a lot more post-grunge and not really fitting in with all that other crap that's being pumped out right now. Project 86 is not emo at all. They will rip your face off. They write kickass concept albums about people devolving into vampires and feeding on each other. I fixed the video, watch it.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png