As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Odd networking problem

TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
Ok, here's a weird one.

One of the guys here said his email wasn't working. So I go and check and Outlook gives a message about not being able to contact the server. I try and look up the error code but Google won't load.

So I hustle over to the command line and try pinging Google. Nothing.
I try pinging a remote server by address. Nothing.
I try pinging our gateway. Nothing.
I try pinging my computer by address. Nothing.
I try pinging loopback. Hey It works! Go figure.
I can reach my computer by putting in the UNC in the Run box. But that is the only way it works.

While I'm trying to figure out what is going on, suddenly everything is peachy keen again. Any idea what the heck is happening?

steam_sig.png
Tofystedeth on

• darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ok, here's a weird one.

One of the guys here said his email wasn't working. So I go and check and Outlook gives a message about not being able to contact the server. I try and look up the error code but Google won't load.

So I hustle over to the command line and try pinging Google. Nothing.
    I try pinging a remote server by address. Nothing.
    I try pinging our gateway. Nothing.
    I try pinging my computer by address. Nothing.
    I try pinging loopback. Hey It works! Go figure.
    I can reach my computer by putting in the UNC in the Run box. But that is the only way it works.

While I'm trying to figure out what is going on, suddenly everything is peachy keen again. Any idea what the heck is happening?

The problem you describe sounds an awful lot like you lost the physical connection briefly. The loopback address should always work, and the local UNC may get resolved internally without ever hitting the NIC (not sure, I dunno much about the internal Windows stack).

Is the computer plugged into a media converter (such as one that converts fiber into twisted-pair ethernet)? Often times people's feet get under the desk and get tangled in the power cables or kick the wall warts partially out of the sockets. It's quite possible the power brick just fell back into place and the time was just the converter rebooting and re-establishing the link. Similar things can happen with flaky network cables and/or jacks.

Or maybe someone unplugged the router/switch/hub that the PC was plugged into, with similiar results.

darkgrue on