As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Modules and fixing a bad one...

DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited October 2006 in Critical Failures
...as a player.

I generally hate modules. While I'm not a fan of Monty Hall campaigns, modules usually go way too far in the other direction.

We've been playing for five sessions in a group that is 1 person larger than the module (the Sunless Citadel) suggests. Each session has lasted at least four hours and has been rife with combat.

We are all still level 1.
None of us have enough gold to even rent a room for a night.

I am a Cleric of Anubis - a Lawful Neutral god who focuses on respect for death. Due to the amount of defiling bodies and the lack of roleplaying on everyone else's part, I've just started witholding healing spells (I just keep a tally of how many ridiculously offensive things they do in terms of disrespecting death. Then I work that into a percent chance of spell failure when attempting to heal them). My character is on the verge of offing another one of the party. Other characters dying won't help the situation.

Our DM is normally pretty good, and he wanted to run a module to see how it goes, since making up game worlds is not his strong point. Every time we complain about how ridiculous the module is, he just says "it's not me," even though by definition it's the DM's job.

What do I do?

Doc on

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    If it were me, I would get, like, one of the other players, and talk to the DM about it outside the game. You don't want him to feel like he's being "ganged up" on, but you want him to know that it's not just you.

It's also possible that there is some very large reward coming in the near-future.

As for the "disrespecting death" thing, is that a result of the module, or a result of your fellow players being asses?

Thanatos on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    As for the "disrespecting death" thing, is that a result of the module, or a result of your fellow players being asses?

Being asses. If it were just part of the module and was unavoidable, I'd let it slide.

For example, they used expired human bodies as shields when mounting an assault on some javelin-throwing goblins.

Doc on
  • KarilmatKarilmat Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Doc wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:

Being asses. If it were just part of the module and was unavoidable, I'd let it slide.

For example, they used expired human bodies as shields when mounting an assault on some javelin-throwing goblins.

One thing to note is that (at least that way that my group plays) if your diety wouldn't like how you would use a spell, they won't grant you the ability to use it at all and the spell outright fizzles. You're sort of doing that with the % chance of the spell failing, but I would think that after a while, Anubis would stop granting you spells until you atoned. That would be a valid reason to withold all healing from your party-mates until they got their act together.

I'm confused about the leveling issue. In theory, with a party of 4 equally-leveled characters, four encounters whose APL equalled your party's average level should give enough XP so that you gain a level (not taking into acount roleplaying rewards, story rewards, etc.). Is this wrong?

Karilmat on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Karilmat wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:

One thing to note is that (at least that way that my group plays) if your diety wouldn't like how you would use a spell, they won't grant you the ability to use it at all and the spell outright fizzles. You're sort of doing that with the % chance of the spell failing, but I would think that after a while, Anubis would stop granting you spells until you atoned. That would be a valid reason to withold all healing from your party-mates until they got their act together.

I'm confused about the leveling issue. In theory, with a party of 4 equally-leveled characters, four encounters whose APL equalled your party's average level should give enough XP so that you gain a level (not taking into acount roleplaying rewards, story rewards, etc.). Is this wrong?

It's not Doc who has to atone, it's his buddies.

Fencingsax on
    edited September 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:

I see what you mean, but if Doc keeps healing these folks who are disrespecting the doctrine of Anubis, I would think Anubis would be pissed at Doc, not the other guys. He's the follower of Anubis and should be spreading the doctrine, not helping them out.

Karilmat on
    edited September 2006
    Karilmat wrote:

I dunno. We've fought a bunch of level 1 encounters. His logic is that we are a level 1 party, and it gives 300xp on the table. 300/5 = 60xp per person.

It takes a long fucking time to get to level 2, 60xp at a time.

Doc on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I don't know the adventure, but it sounds like the DM is doing something wrong if you are all still level one after this long.

or is your dm withholding loot and xp until you get to a certain spot?

Conditional_Axe on
    edited September 2006
    Karilmat wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:

I see what you mean, but if Doc keeps healing these folks who are disrespecting the doctrine of Anubis, I would think Anubis would be pissed at Doc, not the other guys. He's the follower of Anubis and should be spreading the doctrine, not helping them out.

Thanks for the advice. Our DM has enough to worry about with the other players. I'll just wake up without spells for a few days in a row, then atone and not heal them at all if they keep it up.

Doc on
    edited September 2006
    Doc wrote:
    Karilmat wrote:
    I dunno. We've fought a bunch of level 1 encounters. His logic is that we are a level 1 party, and it gives 300xp on the table. 300/5 = 60xp per person.

I don't have access to my DMG, but I think a CR 1 encounter with a level 1, four-person party is supposed to grant each person 300 exp.

He does realize that two CR 1 creatures is a CR 2 encounter, too, right?

Thanatos on
    edited September 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    Karilmat wrote:

I don't have access to my DMG, but I'm pretty fuckin' sure a level 1 encounter with a level 1, four-person party is supposed to grant each person 300 exp.

He does realize that 2 level 1 creatures is a level two encounter, too, right?

It's higher than a CR2 encounter, I think. The module gives him the CRs of the encounters, so it's not that.

Doc on
    edited September 2006
    It should take 13 encounters at equivalent CR to level, on average.

the 300 xp is divided up by the number of party members, actually.

Remember, in 3e, noncombat encounters also should be earning XP.

Conditional_Axe on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    60 exp for killing one foe sounds right.

If you're getting 60 exp for an entire battle (several opponents of equal or higher level), something is deffinately wrong here.

I can't recall off the top of my head, but I have played the Sunless Citadel. Isn't it meant for level 2 characters, and to progress them to level 3 or 4? Or something like that? I recall there being plenty of action, but that the 'kobolds throwing javelins' run out fairly fast, and then you get into far more dangerous opposition.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited September 2006
    http://www.quatrilien.com/rpg/Encounter.html

I think he was doing it right...

Doc on
    edited September 2006
    also, those kobolds are CR 1/4.

Conditional_Axe on
    edited September 2006
    also, those kobolds are CR 1/4.

Famous last words:
    "It's just one kobold!"

Doc on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
    According to the 3.5 DM's guide, it should take approximately 13.3 encounters at equal to your party's level to advance in your level. It doesn't sound like that his happening, however, so you may want to take a closer look.

Also, it doesn't sound like you are receiving appropriate material rewards for your encounters, averaged out. You should have at least enough money for a room to stay, and then some. Is it that you are spending money as quickly as it comes in, or is there just a large lack of wealth available in the scenario itself? If it is the latter, tell it to your DM, make an earnest point about the fact, and ask him to increase the rewards a bit. It talks about the appririate rewards in the DM's guide for each level.

Are you fighting lots of non-humanoid creatures with no loot? If you are fighting humanoids, your tank should be able to carry all of their equipment and clothing, if nothing else, to resell in the next town to afford you some sort of wealth.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited September 2006
    Okay, that calculator is awesome, and yeah, it sounds about right for a few of the early fights, but I just don't remember 5 sessions worth of piddly sub CR1 crap to wade through.

But I may be mistaken. The last time I played 3rd edition was a good two years ago.

Forar on
    edited September 2006
    I think it's due to the way that most GMs throw a CR 3 enemy at a first level party. While more hazardous, the fight is about the same length and gives much more XP than fighting 5 kobolds at a time (CR 1.75).

The bigger the stuff you fight, the more XP you get. Modules make you fight rats and other stupid CR1 (or even less) encounters.

Doc on
  • DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Forar wrote:
    Okay, that calculator is awesome, and yeah, it sounds about right for a few of the early fights, but I just don't remember 5 sessions worth of piddly sub CR1 crap to wade through.

But I may be mistaken. The last time I played 3rd edition was a good two years ago.

Seems like in almost every recent campaign I've been in, we've gotten past level 1 in a single 4-hour session, maybe a little more. Granted, we typically get 300ish xp for a character background and noncombat XP rewards as well, so YMMV. (But then again, seems like we were usually fighting stuff around CR 2-3 at level 1 as well)

d20srd.org also has an excellent encounter calculator.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Draw On Holy MightDraw On Holy Might Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Honestly, this is mostly your DM's fault.
    When I ran my group through City of the Spider Queen, we had both more players (7) that were of a higher level (12) than the module called for. In either one of these cases, it should be the DM's job to adjust encounters appropriately and proportionally so that they are still just as challenging just as rewarding as they would for the recommended party size and level.

With five players, this isn't too hard - especially at level 1. Throw in a few extra dire rats, kobolds, goblins, whatever and call it done. Generally, I found that as they level up, it goes to about 1 extra CR per person involved, with the difficult and "boss" fights starting, at least, an equal CR to the party, and being adjusted as needed on an individual basis. The important thing to remember is to keep it proportional, and if the fight is supposed to be a higher CR than the party, boost it up in the same fashion. I learned that the hard way when the entire group nearly died in every fight on the first dungeon.

Draw On Holy Might on
    edited September 2006
    Honestly, this is mostly your DM's fault.

More or less.

Doc on
    edited September 2006
    I used to read the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil forums pretty thoroughly, and this is something they touched on.

Be careful with making adjustments, and be honest with how involved you're willing to be with them.

Adjusting an encounter slightly (treasure, difficulty, level, etc) isn't a big deal. Adjusting several isn't too taxing, but can begin to harm the party (if made too easy/removing too much of "the good stuff" can hinder them heavily down the road, whereas increasing the difficulty early, if they overcome it, can make them more powerful than they ought to be early on, which means you end up in a pattern of needing to adjust almost every encounter beyond, to keep that difficulty level up.

Of course, this was with a 200 or so page monster of a module (and it's a damn fine read, with lots of role playing, strategic and humour potential), but I think the basic idea stands that much of 3rd edition and beyond is self correcting.

Even with the Sunless Citadel issue noted above, eventually they should all hit level 2, and hopefully soon, and that will significantly beef up their party. As long as they don't hit anything too rough, they should then overpower similar foes for a while, leading to slightly worse exp for much easier fights, and prepping them for the next decent hurdle.

That said... maybe the module is just poorly designed/written. I dunno, having started dozens of Rifts and D&D characters from level 1, I always kind of preferred starting at 2. More variety immediately available, and while it's not a big deal, it's also nice not to be "the greenhorn newbie" every time you start up a game. Like Cecil starting at level 9 or so in FF IV, which at the time I thought was just eight shades of pure awesome.

"Wait, you mean I don't get violated by a single imp? YES OH GOD YES!"

Forar on
    edited September 2006
    Also, the other players are somewhat inexperienced.

I was incorrect before, by the way. There are 5 people plus me making 6, and he is not adjusting the encounters. That explains a lot of it, too.

In any case, our group consists of:

2 Fighters (both on their second campaign)
    1 Monk (first time player)
    1 Cleric (me, lots of RPG background)
    1 Ranger (second campaign)
    1 Rogue (first time player)

Had I not gone with the cleric, the ranger would have been the most powerful healer in the group. There are no arcane casters at all.

I may have deprived my group of a major chunk of loot when I refused to let them steal everything out of some tombs. I'd forgotten about that.

Doc on
    edited September 2006
    Having an experienced healer is always good. I too love Clerics, and not just because they're utterly badass. Okay, because they're utterly badass.

Also, if the GM isn't compensating the group in some manner (exp for role playing, a little adjustment elsewhere to keep the rough 'gold/gear' count right for the level, etc), this kind of thing early on can deffinately hurt a group.

Similar to the suggestion that a party recieve experience for creatively bypassing/disabling opponents rather than just killing them; if you don't, you can negatively influence how the party works, and cripple them in the long term in forms of gear/levels.

At least, that's in my opinion/experience. I love D&D 3 / 3.5 for the balance it can inspire, even with the munchkin antics it can lead to. Modules can be just as bad, if not worse, but especially for DM's under time constraints, they can be an excellent way to get and keep a game hopping.

I know I've meandered from the original topic of the thread, but as a DM, I admit to being a big fan of modules, as long as you keep detailed notes on people/places/things that you have or wish to alter, in order to keep the flow going.

Forar on
    edited September 2006
    Doc wrote:
    I may have deprived my group of a major chunk of loot when I refused to let them steal everything out of some tombs. I'd forgotten about that.
    Yeah, between that, and splitting 4 adventurers' worth of treasure/experience between 6 adventurers, I could see things slowing down considerably.

Thanatos on
    edited September 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    Yeah, between that, and splitting 4 adventurers' worth of treasure/experience between 6 adventurers, I could see things slowing down considerably.

So what can I do, as a player, to keep things interesting? I'm pretty much the only one who makes even a small amount of effort to roleplay my character, which makes some things a bit difficult.

I was hesitant to straight-up kill another PC (it's crossed my mind a few times with some of the stuff they do), but that would kill two birds with one stone: I'd get XP from it and it would be in the name of roleplaying.

Doc on
    edited September 2006
    Doc wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    So what can I do, as a player, to keep things interesting? I'm pretty much the only one who makes even a small amount of effort to roleplay my character, which makes some things a bit difficult.

I was hesitant to straight-up kill another PC (it's crossed my mind a few times with some of the stuff they do), but that would kill two birds with one stone: I'd get XP from it and it would be in the name of roleplaying.
    Definitely talk to your DM about it. Some DMs find PKing totally unacceptable, others think it's okay with a good RP reason for it. In a lot of years of RPing, I've only done it once, and at that point, the person I killed was laughing about it (GURPS campaign; she was a sniper, and shot me in the foot; I turned around and critted her brainpan with my blunderbuss).

In the case of PKing, the XP shouldn't even really enter into the formula of whether or not you should do it, in most campaigns. It should only be done if it's very in-character. It can really be a fun-killer for the person you kill, especially if they're not experienced.

Thanatos on
    edited September 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Doc wrote:

Definitely talk to your DM about it. Some DMs find PKing totally unacceptable, others think it's okay with a good RP reason for it. In a lot of years of RPing, I've only done it once, and at that point, the person I killed was laughing about it (GURPS campaign; she was a sniper, and shot me in the foot; I turned around and critted her brainpan with my blunderbuss).

In the case of PKing, the XP shouldn't even really enter into the formula of whether or not you should do it, in most campaigns. It should only be done if it's very in-character. It can really be a fun-killer for the person you kill, especially if they're not experienced.

The XP thing was a joke.

People my character had met no more than a week prior were using a human body as a puppet, in addition to mutilating it, just to piss him off.

Like I said:
    I'm pretty much the only one who makes even a small amount of effort to roleplay my character, which makes some things a bit difficult.

Doc on
    edited September 2006
    Doc wrote:
    The XP thing was a joke.

People my character had met no more than a week prior were using a human body as a puppet, in addition to mutilating it, just to piss him off.
    On the other hand, sometimes people need to learn a lesson the hard way. "The hard way" being "with a coup de gras while they sleep with a high-critical-multiplier weapon."

Thanatos on
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    You could drop alot of points into Diplomacy, and use it against other players..
    >>
    Depending on the GM and the players, it could be a good way to get them to change their ways.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    edited September 2006
    Depending on the GM and the players...

You may have figured out that these guys don't exactly put the "RP" in "RPG."

So far, they have suffered no ill consequence for it. If the DM won't step up, I guess I will.

Doc on
    edited September 2006
    You could drop alot of points into Diplomacy, and use it against other players..
    >>
    Depending on the GM and the players, it could be a good way to get them to change their ways.
    Diplomacy checks don't work on PCs.

Unless you're making them with a scythe. While they're sleeping.

Thanatos on
    edited September 2006
    Doc wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Doc wrote:

Eh, whacking other PC's generally leads to bad feelings. If that person rolls up another character to replace their dead one, in the end they'll come gunning for you one way or another.

Sadly, it's sort of up to your DM to keep people in-line. I would just talk to your DM, express your concerns, and see what they have to say. If you don't want to look like the bad guy in the healing issue, tell the DM to make sure to announce your spells fizzle when you try to cast them on the party members, but not on yourself, and then explain why.

In the meantime, if you're playing with your buddies, talk with one (or more) of them on the side and see about working together for some side mischief. Come up with ways that you two can roleplay together, and eventually everyone else will join in.

Your DM could also use to add a few more non-combat encounters to give you all some more XP. Traps, puzzles, etc. should all be giving XP to the party, including if you manage to bypass them rather than defeat them head-on. Since they generally don't take as long to beat, the XP comes a bit faster. I'm just amazed that a first level party hasn't leveled at least once after more than 2 or 3 sessions. I've had level 14 parties level in 2-3 sessions of action while following the DMG guidelines of XP distribution. Is your DM giving out any sort of roleplay or story XP rewards at the end of sessions? If not, you may want to ask about that. If you are doing a good job of roleplaying, your character should be getting rewarded for it.

Finally, first level just sucks. Your party is weak, you don't have a lot of resources, and it takes awhile for combats to conclude because no one can hit anyone else, so the simplest of tasks can take forever.

I don't think this was hugely useful, but it's worth a shot.

Karilmat on
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Doc wrote:

So far, they have suffered no ill consequence for it. If the DM won't step up, I guess I will.
    I dunno.Sometimes people have trouble with roleplaying but can do better if they are told "If my diplomacy check works, you will go from indifferent to friendly to my suggestions." Then they have an actual game mechanic to deal with.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    edited September 2006
    Doc wrote:

I dunno.Sometimes people have trouble with roleplaying but can do better if they are told "If my diplomacy check works, you will go from indifferent to friendly to my suggestions." Then they have an actual game mechanic to deal with.

The greater of the two will just get pissy and do it again later.

Doc on
    edited September 2006
    Karilmat wrote:
    Doc wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Doc wrote:

Eh, whacking other PC's generally leads to bad feelings. If that person rolls up another character to replace their dead one, in the end they'll come gunning for you one way or another.

Sadly, it's sort of up to your DM to keep people in-line. I would just talk to your DM, express your concerns, and see what they have to say. If you don't want to look like the bad guy in the healing issue, tell the DM to make sure to announce your spells fizzle when you try to cast them on the party members, but not on yourself, and then explain why.

In the meantime, if you're playing with your buddies, talk with one (or more) of them on the side and see about working together for some side mischief. Come up with ways that you two can roleplay together, and eventually everyone else will join in.

Your DM could also use to add a few more non-combat encounters to give you all some more XP. Traps, puzzles, etc. should all be giving XP to the party, including if you manage to bypass them rather than defeat them head-on. Since they generally don't take as long to beat, the XP comes a bit faster. I'm just amazed that a first level party hasn't leveled at least once after more than 2 or 3 sessions. I've had level 14 parties level in 2-3 sessions of action while following the DMG guidelines of XP distribution. Is your DM giving out any sort of roleplay or story XP rewards at the end of sessions? If not, you may want to ask about that. If you are doing a good job of roleplaying, your character should be getting rewarded for it.

Finally, first level just sucks. Your party is weak, you don't have a lot of resources, and it takes awhile for combats to conclude because no one can hit anyone else, so the simplest of tasks can take forever.

I don't think this was hugely useful, but it's worth a shot.

I don't care so much about fixing the progression thing anymore. I just need something somewhat drastic to set the RP tone. Thusfar the DM has been reluctant to try to get them to change, even though it's his job. I'll just stop with the heals first and see if that gets the point across.

Doc on
    edited September 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    >>
    Diplomacy checks don't work on PCs.

Unless you're making them with a scythe. While they're sleeping.

Eh, I've seen/used some mechanics where you can use Diplomacy vs. PC's. I've used a Diplomacy check vs. either a Will Save or Sense Motive check, depending on the situation. If the Diplomacy check wins, it works like Charm Person lite. The DM can give modifiers as they see fit either way.

Of course, this depends on the players being willing to roleplay a bit (i.e. their character will be doing something they as the player may not agree with) and the DM being willing to enforce it.

Karilmat on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Sounds like you have a really shitty group on your hands. I'd say that you have a couple of options:
    1) Fizzle the healing spells, due to their disrespect for the dead.
    2) Apply liberal use of divine retribution on their asses (DM might even "lend" you one of Anubis underlings to teach them a lesson).
    3) Talk to them about this and hope for a change for the better.
    4)Try to find another group.

Silpheed on
    edited September 2006
    The entire group is okay (inexperienced on the whole, though) except for one guy and another who the first guy kind of drags into stuff. Interestingly, the main pain-in-the-ass person is, myself excluded, the most experienced person in the group.

Doc on
    edited September 2006
    Yesterday's session:

1. We levelled up finally.
    2. Also, half the group wiped due to 12 goblins and 2 bugbears or something.
    3. I'm now convinced that my DM is bad. As a level 1 party, we captured a dragon wyrmling (through subdual damage) and returned it to the Kobolds who had lost it. Quest XP for the task that we though would be nearly impossible: 100. If I ever thought the module was bad, it was because our DM was doing a poor job of running it.

Doc on