As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

De-Vista-ing

SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
How do it do it? I need to free my wife's laptop from the clutches of Vista, as she's dissappointed with its performance and has chosen the OS as the cause, mainly thanks to those cutsey Mac commercials. She may well be right, the thing has better specs than my desktop but runs at less than half what the PC does. I'm fairly tech savvy, but I've never removed an OS before. Do I just go out and buy XP? Can I even do that anymore? Will I have to reformat? Is there some mystery set of Vista settings I can use to make it not suck? Any help appreciated.

SlickShughes on

• Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yes you will have to reformat.

The magical setting to make Vista not suck is not a setting at all. It's a metric shitload of RAM. I would say that 2 gigs is a comfortable minimum for Vista.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You can't really compare desktop specs to laptop specs straight across; it doesn't work that way. Things are generally going to run substantially worse on a laptop than on a desktop.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Also there's a good chance that there's a shitton of crapware on the computer that's slowing it down.

And if she's only been using Vista for a few days it's still making the precache settings so it will significantly speed up in a week or so.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    You can't really compare desktop specs to laptop specs straight across; it doesn't work that way. Things are generally going to run substantially worse on a laptop than on a desktop.

I should add then that the Vista laptop runs worse than my tablet running XP from when I graduated uni in 2004.
    Khavall wrote: »
    Also there's a good chance that there's a shitton of crapware on the computer that's slowing it down.

And if she's only been using Vista for a few days it's still making the precache settings so it will significantly speed up in a week or so.

She's had it for about a year now. I'm only finally looking into switching to XP as now she's hinting at wanting a macbook now.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008

Thanatos, you're a good guy and all.

But that's one of the dumbest fucking things I've ever read. Yes, you can't compare desktop specs to laptop specs straight across, but laptops aren't slower because they're laptops. They're slower because, well, they're slower. The laptop I'm currently typing on probably blows the balls off the desktops of half the registered users here. But my desktop is more powerful than this laptop. It has nothing to do with the fact that it's a laptop or a desktop, but the specifics of the laptop or desktop it self.

Anyways, as Khavall said, check the crapware on the the laptop first before you wipe it out. It could also be you don't have enough ram to run Vista smoothly (generally 2gb is minimum, 3+ is recommended). Has she been complaining about the speed for the entire year?

I'm not blaming you, I'm blaming the stupid computer manufacturers for selling laptops/desktops with Vista and 1gb of RAM. Utterly retarded in my mind.

But yes, to undo Vista, you have to format the HDD to really guarantee that it's gone.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You can still buy XP, but it's kind of expensive and might be a little harder to find than it used to be. If you don't find any copies in stores, go online to places like Newegg or look on eBay or Craigslist.

Once you've secured a copy, you should:

1) Back up her important files.
    2) Make a list of the programs she'll want installed after the switch.
    3) Make sure you have drivers for the laptop's hardware. (XP versions, of course)
    4) Reformat and install XP.
    5) Install drivers.
    6) Install software.
    7) Copy her files to their appropriate locations.

Denada on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Thanatos, you're a good guy and all.

But that's one of the dumbest fucking things I've ever read. Yes, you can't compare desktop specs to laptop specs straight across, but laptops aren't slower because they're laptops. They're slower because, well, they're slower. The laptop I'm currently typing on probably blows the balls off the desktops of half the registered users here. But my desktop is more powerful than this laptop. It has nothing to do with the fact that it's a laptop or a desktop, but the specifics of the laptop or desktop it self.

Anyways, as Khavall said, check the crapware on the the laptop first before you wipe it out. It could also be you don't have enough ram to run Vista smoothly (generally 2gb is minimum, 3+ is recommended). Has she been complaining about the speed for the entire year?

I'm not blaming you, I'm blaming the stupid computer manufacturers for selling laptops/desktops with Vista and 1gb of RAM. Utterly retarded in my mind.

But yes, to undo Vista, you have to format the HDD to really guarantee that it's gone.
    My reference was to the fact that a 2 ghz processor for a laptop is optimized for miniaturization and heat dissipation, whereas a 2 ghz processor for a desktop is optimized for performance. The same can be said of the video card, RAM, motherboard, hard drive, and everything else.

Obviously, if you're comparing a 20-year-old desktop to a modern laptop, the modern laptop is going to blow it out of the water.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Also if you and/or she has the technological knowledge or ability to use google to set it up, for a free alternative have you considered Ubuntu?

Khavall on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Also if you and/or she has the technological knowledge or ability to use google to set it up, for a free alternative have you considered Ubuntu?

Yeah see I made the mistake of asking someone to consider Ubuntu in the Tavern. Not worth bringing up.

That being said, the way OSes are set up by default is to stick everything in one big partition. Best way to go about it is to make two partitions - a 10 - 20GB one for the OS itself, and the rest of the hard drive to store absolutely all of your data. That way you can play around with installing different operating systems at will. You can do it in the XP installer, but keep in mind that you'll also have to backup your data somehow before you set up your partitions as such.

theSquid on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I've always wanted to try linux - I've got enough Unix experience that I think I could handle it - but that's not happening on her machine any time soon.

The drive is partitioned, with just over 8 gb set aside as a "backup" drive. I could reformat that and install XP on there, yes?

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You could try installing XP on a separate partition of a machine already running vista, but it's a lot harder than doing it the other way round (installing vista on a 2ndary partition to a system with an existing XP install).

Also, Ive had fantastically shitty results in trying to install XP on a machine that was never shipped with XP, there's always several devices that don't have drivers.

If I were you I'd give Vista SP1 a shot, it worked for me and I was a total Vista hater up til a week or two ago.

Djeet on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Wait, it has 8gb back up drive? That would make it an HP most likely with a restore drive. I do not recommend de-partitioning that.

But again, what are the specs of this laptop? The specs could very well be fine for Vista and the system could be bogged down with shit.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It is an HP, and I'm not talking about de-partitioning, I'm talking about repurposing the existing partition; what would be the problem with that?

Specs:
    AMD Turion 64 1.8 GHz
    2 GB ram

It's only running Vista 32, would upgrading to Vista 64 fix anything? I doubt it's bogged down with much, we're careful about what we install.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It is an HP, and I'm not talking about de-partitioning, I'm talking about repurposing the existing partition; what would be the problem with that?

Specs:
    AMD Turion 64 1.8 GHz
    2 GB ram

It's only running Vista 32, would upgrading to Vista 64 fix anything? I doubt it's bogged down with much, we're careful about what we install.
    I believe their point was that some of the HP laptops that come with Vista are preinstalled with unnecessary software and outdated drivers. I remember seeing an article in G&T sometime recently about how a guy fixed up one of those models so it worked perfectly, but unfortunately I can't find it.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Denada wrote: »
    5) Install drivers.

This may be a problem. Some of the newer laptops may not even have XP drivers for some stuff. If XP is an option for your laptop model, you should be fine, but don't assume XP drivers exist anymore for laptop hardware. It's probably fine, but check first.

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    JHunz wrote: »

Specs:
    AMD Turion 64 1.8 GHz
    2 GB ram

I believe their point was that some of the HP laptops that come with Vista are preinstalled with unnecessary software and outdated drivers. I remember seeing an article in G&T sometime recently about how a guy fixed up one of those models so it worked perfectly, but unfortunately I can't find it.

That would be this article. It's a good read. :)

Dehumanized on