As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

corrupted graphics drivers?

pogo mudderpogo mudder Registered User regular
my card is a GeForce 8800 GTX

Hey, basically my problem is that my computer seems to think that my graphics driver is out of date, but i know its not cause i downloaded it a while ago and have the file on my computer. Recently my power supply blew and i had to buy a new one and that's when this trouble started. basically when i try to run any application that requires my graphics card to do something i'm told to get new drivers (if i continue without getting them my comp crashes and restarts). when i do re-download the new drivers from the NVidia site, i install them and restart my comp as normal. But when my computer turns back on the resolution and colour quality are at the lowest possible and can't be improved. if i try to run anything like spore or WoW at this point my computer acts as though theres no card installed and refuses to run the applications. however the whole time this is going on my graphics card is still listed under 'display' when i run DxDiag.

multiple copies of the drivers are on my comp and i can't seem to permanently get rid of them. Also there are numerous copies of anything to do with nvidia in my system 32 folder. i have tried to delete the duplicate files before but this hasn't worked.

are my current drivers horribly corrupted? if so any ideas on how to fix them?
also would a programme like "driver genius" sort my problem, i don't mind paying the cost.

-thanks for any advice let me know if you need me to provide more infomation.

what a work of art is man, and the most boring choice you can make
pogo mudder on

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    do you have onboard video?

if so you could have driver conflict between the mobos graphics driver and the video cards.

ive had that happen before with similar results.

if so just disable the mobo driver (or any other driver you have aside from the 8800GT's)

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    .kbf?.kbf? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you think the driver is corrupted and you still have the install files why don't you just reinstall?

Just make sure you COMPLETELY remove the driver and restart the computer before doing the install. If you don't uninstall first(or didn't previously) it could cause problem.

.kbf? on