As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Online resources to learn basic math on paper

YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, it's been a very, very long time since i've had to rely on my own mind to do basic multiplication and division on paper and I cannot for the life of me remember how. In middle school we essentially stopped doing anything on paper and relied entirely on calculators but now looking back on that, I think it was the worst decision my teachers made. Now I cannot pass the math portion of a basic aptitude test while excelling at the other sections such as spatial reasoning and language.

Does anyone have any online resources for showing how to do basic multiplication and division on paper with explanation of the steps involved? I was originally taught long division but double division looks like it could be an alternative. Is it? I'm sure once I start doing it again i'll pick it up, like riding a bike.

I hate that i'm this dumb and really want to improve. :(

Please help me H&A!

edit; My Google-fu doesn't seem to bring up too much in the way of explanations.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
YourFatAuntSusan on

• Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Perhaps start with the multiplication tables. I do these in my head when I drive - it's a good filler.

For long division, the best way is to start would *probably* be here, just to jog your memory; from there, start throwing in random numbers (like "Oh I wonder what 52313498 divided by 123 equals")

1ddqd on
  • Options
    YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thanks a lot. I've started practicing short division on some scrap paper and it's slowly coming back to me. However, I had forgotten parts of the multiplication table so i'm back to handwriting it all out on paper to get in ingrained in my head again.

One step back, two steps forward I hope.

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]