As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Loud Snap and burning smell = bad for computer

RNEMESiS42RNEMESiS42 Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I just got my new hard drive in the mail today, that I was going to use as a new OS drive. I just got finished backing things up to DVD, putting things on other drives, and getting all the drivers ready before hand so I'd be a smooth XP reinstall. RIGHT when that's all done, before I've even reached over to turn off my computer and get to business:
SNAP
I nearly fell out of my chair. Computer is instantly off, and there is a burning smell in the air. I switch off the power supply, unplug everything, and open her up. Nothing appears to be burned at all, so I'm suspecting the power supply blew. It's a few years old, and I'm in a house that's 100 years old with bad wiring...
Is this a safe assumption? I'm hoping that's the only thing that exploded, because I can barely afford replacing one component right now.

my apartment looks upside down from there
water spirals the wrong way out the sink
RNEMESiS42 on

• MichichaelMichichael Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sounds like you got hit with a surge. Did you have a surge protector on your computer?

Odds are only your PSU got frieds, but other vulnerable parts are your hard drives, video card, and motherboard. Look for any blackened parts on the circuit boards, take out your mobo and inspect it carefully.

Hope that nothing untoward got through, because it just takes one wayward shock to pop a microtransistor.

Michichael on
    -Michichael Folf-sunè
  • RNEMESiS42RNEMESiS42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Heh, actually, it's pretty dumb that it isn't on a surge protector right now. I have a million, but had recently switched this computer to this outlet and lazily didn't hookup a surge protector. I guess this is proof for why I've been using surge protectors since the dawn of time....
    I hope it's just the PSU, but damn, a good one is at least 60-90 bucks, and I have bills to pay. I'll give everything a close run down, but in my initial inspection I didn't see any black marks on the motherboard.

RNEMESiS42 on
    my apartment looks upside down from there
    water spirals the wrong way out the sink
  • MichichaelMichichael Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Won't necessarily be a black mark on the board itself unless a lot of power got through.

Also, it's entirely possible only the fuse on your PSU popped, if your PSU has a fuse. Check. ^^

Michichael on
    -Michichael Folf-sunè