As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Firewall/virus scan replcement

tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, so my McAfee expired a few days ago, so I'm wondering if I have any free options in terms of replacing my firewall and anti-virus protection.

Is there anything that someone can recommend to help me out?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tony_important on

• Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    AVG free or Avast for virus protection.
    I'm using Avast right now, and I've had no problems. I used to use AVG and no complaints there either.

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    peteaboda1peteaboda1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm using Avast right now, and I've had no problems. I used to use AVG and no complaints there either.

Just curious, why did you switch?

peteaboda1 on
    AcridMeat.png
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The best firewall you can use is Comodo and yes it's free.

They also have an anti-virus if you want to look into that. There are a number of free anti-viruses out there. Just remember you get what you pay for. For now I'll throw my pick in with Avast! just because I can't stand AVG.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    AVG used to be my anti-virus program of choice, but the latest version has basically turned it into bloatware. Now I use Avast!, which is a good, free anti-virus program. Like AVG, Zonealarm used to be the firewall of choice, but it turned into...someting else. I'd recommend Comodo as well.

Truth be told, at the end of the day you get what you pay for, so set your expectations accordingly. Then again, the free Avast! and Comodo are a far better combination than the vast majority of paid software out there...

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    peteaboda1 wrote: »

Just curious, why did you switch?

I can't really remember now. I had a couple of problems downloading AVG8 to update when they released it and I'm rather impatient so I just decided to try Avast, to see if it ran any lighter on my system (my laptop's pretty slow).

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png