Check out this thread for an update on DJ Eebs.

Comics Trivia

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    Exiles Morph has actually been dead for some time now.

That's going to be the whole point behind the upcoming Annual.

Crimsondude on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The involvement of Mephisto was mooted as a possible way to end the Clone Saga.

Wildcat on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Honestly that would have been the only way for it to get worse
    The very last issue of it was rad as hell though, with Peter and Norman beating the shit out of each other

Me Too! on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There is a planet named after Neil Gaiman in Star Wars. It is famous for its sand mine.

Bloods End on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    i have always been fond of the amount of characters that marvel calls "Ol' <blank>head"

ol' webhead

ol' hornhead

ol' shellhead

ol' canucklehead

i was trying to think of more at work today, but i'm not sure there are any.

winghead

Who's hornhead though? I'm racking my brains, I can't think of any famous horned marvel heroes.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Daredevil

Robos A Go Go on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    the hulk digs baked beans

the martian manhunter fuckin' loves oreo cookies

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    the martian manhunter fuckin' loves chocos

Fencingsax on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    wait

well dang

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    wait

well dang

Oreos are trademarked.

Fencingsax on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Blue Beetle (Ted Kord) grew up in a town populated entirely by fugitive aliens, where he, despite being a giant geek, was popular and well-liked, contradicting Countdown to Infinite Crisis.

Blue Beetle was originally slated to star in a volume of Showcase, where he would be the lead feature, and assorted secondary characters would star in back-up features. This book came so close to production that there are actually two sets of art floating around for the first few pages.

Prior to Ted's death, and the creation of Jaime Reyes, J Torres and Mike Norton (among several others) pitched a new Blue Beetle book, which would have also starred a young Blue Beetle, empowered by the scarab.

BBPitch1.jpg
    The first story arc will establish Booster and Gold's current situation and adapt it depending on where they are following all their misadventures with the "Super Buddies." As we discover the present day status of Ted Kord's company, Booster's marriage, etc. the new Blue Beetle shows up in Chicago fighting crime, battling evil, and righting wrongs... in between classes at Midwestern University where he has yet to declare a major.

• Although Gary refuses to tell Ted much about himself, Ted immediately recognizes the scarab amulet and is suspicious of Gary, thinking the amulet had been destroyed when Dan died. After some investigation, Ted discovers that Gary is his late mentor's nephew and has to resign himself to the fact that he has as much right to the Blue Beetle name and legacy as anyone. Ted then offers Gary his help, but is initially refused. It's not until Ted dons his old costume to save Gary's life, that the two begin to come together. Ted tells Gary about his heart condition, Gary tells Ted his life's story, and in turn Ted tells Gary everything he knows about the original Blue Beetle, his origins, powers, etc.

• Ted and Booster offer Gary their high tech weapons and gear to help in his crime fighting, but the kid turns them down. Gary doesn't tell them, but he's having enough issues controlling his super strength and getting used to flying without becoming air sick. He doesn't need any gun-like weapon or flying vehicle to make things more dangerous for himself and those around him. Especially since he's begun questioning his sanity now that he's hearing voices from the sun.

• Not knowing much about magic using and the honing of supernatural super powers, Ted calls in some friends to help in the training of Gary and the understanding of his abilities. He recruits the likes of Dr. Fate, Zatanna, and Hawkman. With their help Gary discovers that his powers come from Khepri, an Ancient Egyptian sun god. A god he seems to be able to communicate with when he's "fully" charged with solar power (hence, the voices from the sun). Plus, he also discovers the inherent weakness of the amulet and its reliance on solar power.

• The Egyptian origins of the blue scarab amulet come into play early on when some of the new super villains Gary battles appear to have a connection to ancient mythology. A new, villainous Silver Scarab appears to try and take the amulet from him, for example. It is eventually discovered that other people possessed the amulet between the time it reappeared and ended up in Gary's hands. And those people were somehow corrupted by its power and now seek it back. Thanks to Ted's influence, as well as his own inner goodness, Gary is spared from the same malevolent force that turns these people. But it doesn't stop the evil spirit from trying...

• What happens when the girl Gary falls in love with turns out to be one of those corrupted by the dark force of the amulet?

• What happens when the solar powered superhero discovers that he's developed skin cancer?

• What happens when Gary's mother claims she is the rightful owner of the amulet?

Munch on
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Initially it was suggested that Weapon X program was developed by the Apocalypse, as a part of his "survival of the fittest" agenda, but later the idea was scrapped.

muninn on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Munch, I gotta say, that depresses the shit out of me.

Why is it that all these fuck heads in comics die and them come back to life like 6 months laters, but Steve Rodgers and Ted Kord are gonna be dead forever?

Bucketman on
    edited October 2008
    Daredevil

*facepalm*

I should have gotten that.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    muninn wrote: »
    Initially it was suggested that Weapon X program was developed by the Apocalypse, as a part of his "survival of the fittest" agenda, but later the idea was scrapped.

Tangent: The original concept for We3 was for the project to be part of the same program as Weapon X, being from when they used animals as candidates for superweapons before moving onto mutants. Marvel wasn't too keen on the idea so they took it to Vertigo instead.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2008
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Munch, I gotta say, that depresses the shit out of me.

Why is it that all these fuck heads in comics die and them come back to life like 6 months laters, but Steve Rodgers and Ted Kord are gonna be dead forever?

Oh man, you can see the future?

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2008
    To be fair Keith, Dan Didio has outright stated that he'll never let Ted Kord be resurrected, for as long as he, Judd Winick, or Greg Rucka are with DC. On the other hand, Jaime Reyes' series has been a commercial flop, and Ted still has some mojo, judging by the sales bump his appearance gave Manhunter, and how well (relatively) Booster Gold has done, compared to DC's legacy hero projects. So I definitely wouldn't count him out.

On the topic of Steve Rogers, Quesada and Brubaker have both been pretty clear on the fact that Steve will get resurrected. Both have, when questioned about Cap's death, pretty much answered, "Hey, just enjoy the stories here in the present, and try not to worry about the future too much."

It's also fair to point out that J Torres is a pretty middling writer, and while I appreciate the idea of a Blue Beetle series that would have co-starred Blue and Gold, his series probably would have been slightly worse than Giffen and Rogers' above-average run.

Munch on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    To be fair Keith, Dan Didio has outright stated that he'll never let Ted Kord be resurrected, for as long as he, Judd Winick, or Greg Rucka are with DC.

really? what's that about? are they all secretly dan garrett's grandkids or something?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited October 2008
    I think that they, or at least Didio, see Ted as their Barry Allen. He's the guy they offed in order to make their big event really pop, and they feel that by bringing him back, it diminishes the event.

I feel this is incredibly backwards and stupid for about a thousand different reasons, but I doubt anyone wants to read another of my rants.

Didio also said he could never see Ralph Dibny coming back to life, and one could infer that means Sue Dibny by extension. Ralph is one of the few characters who had a death that rivals Ted's in idiocy and poor writing, but once again, the Dibnys were the sacrificial lambs of two of Didio's big events, so I wouldn't expect to see them back until he's gone.

Munch on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, I have no problem with Ted coming back as long as Jaime sticks around too. The only thing such an outright refusal does is close off potential storylines.

Wildcat on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    I think that they, or at least Didio, see Ted as their Barry Allen. He's the guy they offed in order to make their big event really pop, and they feel that by bringing him back, it diminishes the event.

that's double-dumb given that dido let barry get brought back.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I had no problems with Ralph Dibney's death, I thought it was pretty cool.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited October 2008

Yeah, I quite liked his story in 52, and thought it had a great ending. I think if you ignore the stupidity of Sue's death, his is quite good in and of itself.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited October 2008

Really?

I thought it was kind of retarded. The whole Neron thing really came out of nowhere. Ralph had no important history with Neron, nor any reason to really want to fuck him, other than that he was a big, mean dude. Had the 52 writers wedged a subplot in about how Sue's soul was in Neron's custody or something, that could have gave the ending some real oomph and pathos, but as it was written I was left feeling pretty lukewarm on it.

If DC had coordinated to actually keep Faust off the table for a while, I could have almost swallowed it but nope, Faust was out fucking with superheroes again in JLA's OYL arc, ditto for Neron. So Ralph's big sacrifice was rendered pointless almost immediately.

I also hate that the whole Ghost Detectives thing hasn't been exploited in any decent way, and really only made both Sue and Ralph less interesting; they're basically just Deadman II and Deadwoman now, and that's pretty boring. Hell, I would have preferred Maybe-Maybe Not Crazy Ralph and Maybe-Maybe Not Ghost Sue for a while, as was shown at the end of Identity Crisis. That would have been an interesting angle on their relationship, while still keeping some important things about Ralph intact; his celebrity status, his relationship with Opal City, and a slightly more grounded, less mystical detective angle.

But I've written this rant before, so I'll just stop myself there.

Munch on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited October 2008
    I wasn't really a fan of the Dibny storyline through 52 at any point in the series, and especially not the ending.

DJ Eebs on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ...in late 1989, Rocket Racer started showing up again in the pages of Web of Spider-Man…and Night Thrasher had just debuted in the pages of Thor (along with the rest of the New Warriors)…
    McDuffie (then an editor at Marvel), took slight issue with the fact that this was basically a quarter of the black superheroes appearing in Marvel Comics at the time, and they were a bit, well, similar.

This led to McDuffie’s hilarious parody pitch…Teenage Negro Ninja Thrashers.
    682new_storyimage1636614_full.jpg

link

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don’t remember where I heard this (it was a long time ago), but somewhere along the line I heard a story about how Frank Miller had to change the third issue of “The Dark Knight Returns” because DC had a major conniption fit about the fate of Jason Todd.

All throughout the story various characters keep commenting on “what happened to Jason,” but exactly what that means is never revealed. I read somewhere that Miller’s original plot for DKR#3 revealed that the Joker had captured Jason, sodomized him, killed him, butchered him, and mailed the pieces to Batman c/o Commissioner Gordon. Needless to say, DC said “no way in Hell.”

D:

D:D:D:

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Alas, they've since crossed over one half of that line.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don’t remember where I heard this (it was a long time ago), but somewhere along the line I heard a story about how Frank Miller had to change the third issue of “The Dark Knight Returns” because DC had a major conniption fit about the fate of Jason Todd.

All throughout the story various characters keep commenting on “what happened to Jason,” but exactly what that means is never revealed. I read somewhere that Miller’s original plot for DKR#3 revealed that the Joker had captured Jason, sodomized him, killed him, butchered him, and mailed the pieces to Batman c/o Commissioner Gordon. Needless to say, DC said “no way in Hell.”
    D:

D:D:D:
    are you kidding me?

that's an A-List plot for Teen Titans nowadays

if Sean McKeever wrote that DC would be all over his cock

Sars_Boy on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    shhh sars, you're giving away the ending to Terror Titans

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Oh by the way, I found this on Sean McKeever's messageboard. Note that Joe Bennett is the penciller on Terror Titans.

TerrorTitansCreativeGeniuses.jpg

Fucking creative geniuses these two.

Munch on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh by the way, I found this on Sean McKeever's messageboard. Note that Joe Bennett is the penciller on Terror Titans.

TerrorTitansCreativeGeniuses.jpg

Fucking creative geniuses these two.
    It's a pretty creative way to spell "gallons".

see317 on
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's not that creative. I mean, the guy is an artist. He could have thrown in a few extra letters or something.

Desktop Hippie on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'd spell it with the Batman symbol and unicode.

Crimsondude on
    edited October 2008

Really?

I thought it was kind of retarded. The whole Neron thing really came out of nowhere. Ralph had no important history with Neron, nor any reason to really want to fuck him, other than that he was a big, mean dude. Had the 52 writers wedged a subplot in about how Sue's soul was in Neron's custody or something, that could have gave the ending some real oomph and pathos, but as it was written I was left feeling pretty lukewarm on it.

If DC had coordinated to actually keep Faust off the table for a while, I could have almost swallowed it but nope, Faust was out fucking with superheroes again in JLA's OYL arc, ditto for Neron. So Ralph's big sacrifice was rendered pointless almost immediately.

I also hate that the whole Ghost Detectives thing hasn't been exploited in any decent way, and really only made both Sue and Ralph less interesting; they're basically just Deadman II and Deadwoman now, and that's pretty boring. Hell, I would have preferred Maybe-Maybe Not Crazy Ralph and Maybe-Maybe Not Ghost Sue for a while, as was shown at the end of Identity Crisis. That would have been an interesting angle on their relationship, while still keeping some important things about Ralph intact; his celebrity status, his relationship with Opal City, and a slightly more grounded, less mystical detective angle.

But I've written this rant before, so I'll just stop myself there.

The reason why his story was good was because it was about a man dealing with the despair of being alone, and coping with loss. If sue is in any way actually involved, it takes away from that. And the rest of your complaints have nothing to do with his actual death, but with how it was handled later.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2008
    The Neron thing did come out of nowhere, though.

Garlic Bread on
    edited October 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    The Neron thing did come out of nowhere, though.

Neron was about as out of nowhere as Faust was.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So comics trivia. Didn't CBR used to have a weekly type column with rumors and trivia? A fan would mail in a rumor, like Superman's dad was not shown for 10 years or whatever, and then the columnist would be all "FALSE Jor-El first appeared in 1943, although blah blah etc etc"

I'm not talking about the current rumor thing... lying in the gutters or whatever, but a different column.

DouglasDanger on
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I miss the "Fury's Files" they had at the end of Marvel comics for a while. Although I miss the "Questions that need Answers" more.

Desktop Hippie on