As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's take it in the shorts! (aka Let's Give Wall Street One Trillion Tax Dollars)

• Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    In fact, some of the most basic details, including the $700 billion figure Treasury would use to buy up bad debt, are fuzzy.

"It's not based on any particular data point," a Treasury spokeswoman told Forbes.com Tuesday. "We just wanted to choose a really large number."

The damnedest thing.
    were they high? who let this guy talk to the press?

As a newspaper journalist, I love people like that and I will ride their dumbasses for all they are worth.

It should be noted, however, that I work at a small newspaper on a remote island in Alaska, so really, their asses aren't worth a whole lot.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    In fact, some of the most basic details, including the $700 billion figure Treasury would use to buy up bad debt, are fuzzy.

"It's not based on any particular data point," a Treasury spokeswoman told Forbes.com Tuesday. "We just wanted to choose a really large number."

The damnedest thing.

Oh Jesus Christ

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    BusterK wrote: »
    the problem is i miss the national news on the tv thanks to my hours
    the newspaper i read has about 2 pages of natl news, half of which is weather and celeb gossip
    the noon news really broadly summarizes most national things

the web news i read is either really really focused (an article about mccain going back to work on a bill or something) or really really broad (7000000000 dollar bailout to wall st in the works)

and i am left slightly informed and very worried in a vague sense of somehow becoming poorer through no fault of mine

Really it can't take more than five minutes to read this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulson_financial_rescue_plan

maybe two more to read this
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-regulate25-2008sep25,0,920927.story

Complete ignorance has no excuse!

thank you, buster
    i am reading wiki right now, will read la times next.

yes, rank
    they were high as the sky man
    kilos of cocaine are a g-dub party favor

paulson is straight edge though

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    LucentLucent Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Lucent wrote: »
    This makes me angry enough to really wish a military coup was possible in this day and age.

Who says it isn't?

The army, and it's hojillion bullets.

It would take a branch of the national military splitting off on its own to stage a coup. The american people are ultimately powerless in that regard. They could instill a "don't pay your taxes on time, you must eat a fetus" law tomorrow and people would whine and moan and then get out their fork and bib.

It's kind've sad.

Lucent on
    s6e07VashAndJennySig2.png
    I'm afraid to click that spoiler. I'm not sure I want to know. I'll just keep trying to fuck everything. -- trentsteel
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This makes me angry enough to really wish a military coup was possible in this day and age.

Who says it isn't?

It would take a branch of the national military splitting off on its own to stage a coup. The american people are ultimately powerless in that regard. They could instill a "don't pay your taxes on time, you must eat a fetus" law tomorrow and people would whine and moan and then get out their fork and bib.

It's kind've sad.

Man abortion clinics would make hojillions, selling discarded fetuses.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Who says it isn't?

It's kind've sad.

Did we just solve the economy problems?

Lucent on
    I'm afraid to click that spoiler. I'm not sure I want to know. I'll just keep trying to fuck everything. -- trentsteel
  • Options
    itswebitsweb Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    thank you, buster
    i am reading wiki right now, will read la times next.

yes, rank
    they were high as the sky man
    kilos of cocaine are a g-dub party favor

paulson is straight edge though

25a2fjn.jpg

itsweb on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    someone needs to make a cheap eats thread again

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Who says it isn't?

It's kind've sad.

Did we just solve the economy problems?

Hells yes. All we need to do is encourage teenagers to have even more unprotected sex! That's easy!

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    paulson seriously is a teetotaller christian scientist though for real

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Man, there's nothing a good hot dicking can't solve, is there?

Lucent on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    he does do a lot of green stuff with his money though, so he gets points for that

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    098.png

Lucent on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Uncle Long wrote: »

The damnedest thing.

As a newspaper journalist, I love people like that and I will ride their dumbasses for all they are worth.

It should be noted, however, that I work at a small newspaper on a remote island in Alaska, so really, their asses aren't worth a whole lot.

my dad was once interviewed about the incidence of mental illness among the homeless in the area for reasons that were unclear to him. so he just kind of made up a number and within a couple of days it was being touted as an official statistic. it makes me wonder how often that happens.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

The damnedest thing.

my dad was once interviewed about the incidence of mental illness among the homeless in the area for reasons that were unclear to him. so he just kind of made up a number and within a couple of days it was being touted as an official statistic. it makes me wonder how often that happens.

All the time. Way easier than checking facts.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

The damnedest thing.

Fact checking at its finest.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    the more i read (thanks buster), the more this current plan really does sound like a bailout. rich dudes took a huge gamble, the gamble didn't turn a profit, and the gov and us are throwing them that rope made of all the money in the world

part of me wants the people that bought another property with a dodgy mortgage in the hopes of getting rich quick to just take the fall and burn all the way to the relief office

another part of me kind of wishes this was china, so the higher ups in the banks and what have you could be declared enemies of the people or something and shot to death

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ...Paulson's plan may potentially have some conflicts of interest. This since Paulson is the former CEO of Goldman Sachs, a firm that may benefit from the plan
    Holy crap, bail out bail out! They hold my retirement funds!

Seriously, what the hell? How can anyone think this is the right thing to do?

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    i dont get it either doggy

but if congress or whatever slows down and actually looks at this stuff and you know argues over it and legislates, THEY ARE HURTING AMERICA

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    FlatEric wrote: »
    ...Paulson's plan may potentially have some conflicts of interest. This since Paulson is the former CEO of Goldman Sachs, a firm that may benefit from the plan
    Holy crap, bail out bail out! They hold my retirement funds!

Seriously, what the hell? How can anyone think this is the right thing to do?

Have your accounts moved ASAP, to a much more stable conservative company

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    flateric was pretending to be paulson, acting out the conflict of interest

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm not too worried about it, really. I'm 21, the funds are invested in only the most conservative of stocks, and the amount of money actually there is negligible. It's technically a 'retirement fund' but it's definitely not what I plan on using when I retire.

There's also a pretty steep penalty for moving it right now, as part of the whole IRA plan I have going.

edit:
    t douglas: hah, that would make me seem more witty than I really am, but alas, It's actually true. Like I said though, very little money there.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    damn
    oh well

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I hate the fact that it's in stocks. What the hell? If I wanted my money in the stock market, I'd play it myself.

PERS is where it's at.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thought this was gonna be a Salute your shorts thread, Maaaaaaan.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So, has everyone heard, or do I get to break the bad news?

Washington Mutual is no more. They were closed down by the government and sold to JPMorgan Chase in the largest bank failure in the U.S. ever.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080926/ts_nm/us_washingtonmutual_jpmorgan_news

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    I hate the fact that it's in stocks. What the hell? If I wanted my money in the stock market, I'd play it myself.

PERS is where it's at.

Why don't you buy government-insured bonds to begin with, then? don't they have a comparable long-term interest rate?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    So, has everyone heard, or do I get to break the bad news?

Washington Mutual is no more. They were closed down by the government and sold to JPMorgan Chase in the largest bank failure in the U.S. ever.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080926/ts_nm/us_washingtonmutual_jpmorgan_news

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=70765

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    damn this is some serious shit

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well look at that. I just remembered this thread from the other day. Whoops.

And to be honest, the only reason I paid into that fund is because it was offered to me at the job I had. I knew I wouldn't be there forever, and saw it as a way to put away some extra savings.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    seriously, if this fucks up my student loans for the next four years, I am walking all the way to DC and straight up cockpunching Bush

Welcome to the club. Except I've already been fucked out of them. So call me when you arrive. I'll be waiting across from the Executive Office Building.
    Raneados wrote: »
    instead of spending the billions to bail out these fucking douche corporations

let's spend HALF of the amount and give it to all the people to recoup the losses and let the big stupid bitch corporation flail and die

and then imprison the people in charge, take their assets, and disperse them like sane people

As terrible as these guys are, sadly they're kinda crucial to the US and World economies.

Though why we aren't taking all the money they received in bonuses (79 billion alone last year) and most of their assets and putting it towards solving this fucking disaster. That would prolly get rid of a good 300-400 billion right there.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    this thread makes me feel dumb

not ignorant

just dumb

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    I Am Not A BearI Am Not A Bear Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I am drinking right now because of all of this. Oregon State won, so I should be happy. But all this? Nah, I'm drinking cause I'm depressed.

I Am Not A Bear on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I am drinking right now because of all of this. Oregon State won, so I should be happy. But all this? Nah, I'm drinking cause I'm depressed.

I bet you wish you were a bear now.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    I Am Not A BearI Am Not A Bear Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So hard.

I Am Not A Bear on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    so angry right now

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey Rankendude.

What are you smoking nowadays?

monsterror on
  • Options
    Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    like really, isn't this the same shit Britain pulled on your colonies?

No, see, they actually had the right to take money from us then

isn't that funny

Seta 3000 on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gonna bump this thread because the bailout bill was just defeated in a 228-205 House vote and apparently stocks are now plummeting (again)

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    Im not entirely sure, but I think I might be dead.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png