As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Presidential Debates: The First

ElkiElki get busyModerator, ClubPA mod
edited September 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
WARNING: There is the only warning you'll get about not filling this thread with stuff unrelated to the debate. And I don't mean tangentially related stuff is OK. This is a debate commentary thread, so don't fill it with commentary about how McCain sucks dick and Obama's an asshole before it starts.

Time: 9:00 EDT / 8:00 PM CDT

Moderator: Jim Lehrer

Webstream: You go find it.

smCQ5WE.jpg
Elki on

• Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, I'm pretty sure I'm going to miss this tonight. Take good notes for me, people!

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    We also have an IRC channel for this right?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Just a reminder:

irc.slashnet.org

#2008elections

I'm out and about today but will be sitting in the channel all day and will be back to watch the debates

Medopine on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What's a good web IRC client?

Also, OP needs more drinking game.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Tomanta wrote: »
    What's a good web IRC client?

Also, OP needs more drinking game.

Yes. I've got 2 bottles of wine ready to go.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    We used to, though i won't be around giving that it'll be on at a silly time compared to where i am in the world.

I hope this goes good for Obama.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I guess good ol' Walnuts is bringing 9/11 with him.

Gotta have somebody there to call him a war hero, right?

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So this would be starting at 3am GMT?
    I may have to catch up tomorrow.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hmmm... I hope to catch this as it's on, but I'll record it and watch it a few hours late if needbe. Stupid Alaska, being 4 hours behind East Coast.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »

Isn't it 1am? I suck at time zones.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Any drinking game suggestions?

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    WARNING: There is the only warning you'll get about not filling this thread with stuff unrelated to the debate. And I don't mean tangentially related stuff is OK. This is a debate commentary thread, so don't fill it with commentary about how McCain sucks dick and Obama's an asshole before it starts.

Time: 9:00 EDT / 8:00 PM CDT

Moderator: Jim Lehrer

Webstream: You go find it.

Well, that's one "game changer" McCain could pull out during the debate, but I think it'd hurt him among social conservatives.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

my plan is to drink champagne during the debate basking in Obama's pwning, then switch to rum when the post-debate news coverage starts talking about McCain's inspiring words.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008

This one from FARK:
    Presidential Debate Drinking Game
    September 25, 2008 by David H. Schleicher

DEBATE NUMBER ONE: Friday, September 26, 2008

MODERATOR: Jim Lehrer from The NewsHour on PBS

FOCUS: Foreign Policy (could be changed to the Economy given the circumstances)

GENERIC RULES THAT SHOULD APPLY TO ANY DEBATE:

TAKE A SHOT:

-When the buzzwords "change" or "maverick" or "hope" are used

-When someone says "I voted for or against" or "He voted for or against"

-When McCain refers to Obama's "inexperience"

-When McCain stammers and looks like he might have a heart attack

-When McCain somehow works in his personal story as a POW during Vietnam

-When McCain refers to the moderator as "my friend" or the audience as "my friends"

-When Obama somehow works in his personal story of being raised by a single mom and his grandparents

-When Obama makes a smirk, shakes his head, and says, "Now wait just a minute..." or "hold on there..."

-When Obama makes the case that McCain and Bush are one and the same or uses the phrase "more of the same"

-When Obama talks about "multi-tasking" or having to address more than one crisis at a time as president

-When anyone brings up "suspending the campaign"

-When either one lays claims to being "bipartisan" or working "across the aisle"

-It's a Social when Sarah Palin is mentioned!

-Finish whatever you are drinking if McCain loses his temper!

ECONOMY SPECIFIC RULES:

TAKE A SHOT:

-When someone mentions the "Bailout" of Wall Street

-When someone mentions Wall Street and Main Street in the same train of thought

-When someone starts quoting dollar figures (for example: 700 billion)

-When someone talks about mortgages/foreclosures/homeowners

FOREIGN POLICY SPECIFIC RULES:

TAKE A SHOT:

-If anyone uses the words "surge" or "victory"

-When anyone mentions a particular nation as being a potential "nuclear" threat

-When McCain talks about Islamic Radicals/Terrorists

-When Georgia and/or Russia are mentioned

-When Iran and/or Iraq are mentioned

-When Afghanistan is mentioned

-It's a social for al Qaeda or North Korea!

-Finish whatever you are drinking if anyone delivers specifics on how to get out of Iraq "safely and responsibly".

HuffPo has this one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-nelson/the-presidential-debate-d_b_129609.html
    Every time John McCain mentions his POW experience, praise his courage and drink a kamikaze. This one is only for the heavy drinkers.

Every time Obama says change everyone has to switch seats and drink the other person's drink of choice.

Every time John McCain tries to associate Barack Obama with an unsavory character, take a sip of your dirty martini.

Every time someone says bailout you have to finish your drink and pour another.

Every time John McCain says "my friends", spit out your drink and shout "I am not your friend" at the television.

Every time "evil", "evil doers", or anything with evil is mentioned, drink a sip of French red wine.

Every time John McCain threatens Iran, drink a savage car bomb or cherry bomb.

Every time Barack Obama ties John McCain to George W. Bush, drink a sloe gin fizz and wish for better days.

Every time John McCain displays how hopelessly out of touch he is, drink an old bastard.

Every time John McCain refers to the USSR or any other non-existent formerly communist country, get ready to ride the red tide.

When Georgia is mentioned, drink a fuzzy navel.

Every time John McCain mentions Sarah Palin, drink a white russian. After all, if Sarah Palin is around there must be a Russian nearby somewhere.

Every time John McCain smiles creepily, drink a roofie-colada.

If anyone mentions a golden parachute, pound some goldschlager.

Every time John McCain makes an appeal to states rights, lean back and take a sip of that sweet southern comfort.

When NATO membership is mentioned, clink glasses with everyone around you and attack anyone who refuses to clink.

If John McCain doesn't show up, lock yourself inside and sip Jack Daniels all night. It is going to be a long six weeks.

Regardless of what either candidate says, at the end of the debate, drink something that must be lit on fire first then hit yourself in the face with a shovel.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I saw the first one, you would DIE. JUST FUCKING DIE.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gonna have to change all those shots to sips to survive.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, they're both pretty clear invitations to alcohol poisoning and the second one looks like you'd have to have a well-stocked bar to even play.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

It's 2am GMT. Just about stay-up-able, if you haven't got anything to do the following morning.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

It's 2am GMT. Just about stay-up-able, if you haven't got anything to do the following morning.

2am BST you mean. (GMT+1hour). It's on BBC News 24.

Rook on
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    necroSYS wrote: »

This one from FARK:
    Presidential Debate Drinking Game
    September 25, 2008 by David H. Schleicher

DEBATE NUMBER ONE: Friday, September 26, 2008

MODERATOR: Jim Lehrer from The NewsHour on PBS

FOCUS: Foreign Policy (could be changed to the Economy given the circumstances)

GENERIC RULES THAT SHOULD APPLY TO ANY DEBATE:

TAKE A SHOT:

-When the buzzwords "change" or "maverick" or "hope" are used

-When someone says "I voted for or against" or "He voted for or against"

-When McCain refers to Obama's "inexperience"

-When McCain stammers and looks like he might have a heart attack

-When McCain somehow works in his personal story as a POW during Vietnam

-When McCain refers to the moderator as "my friend" or the audience as "my friends"

-When Obama somehow works in his personal story of being raised by a single mom and his grandparents

-When Obama makes a smirk, shakes his head, and says, "Now wait just a minute..." or "hold on there..."

-When Obama makes the case that McCain and Bush are one and the same or uses the phrase "more of the same"

-When Obama talks about "multi-tasking" or having to address more than one crisis at a time as president

-When anyone brings up "suspending the campaign"

-When either one lays claims to being "bipartisan" or working "across the aisle"

-It's a Social when Sarah Palin is mentioned!

-Finish whatever you are drinking if McCain loses his temper!

ECONOMY SPECIFIC RULES:

TAKE A SHOT:

-When someone mentions the "Bailout" of Wall Street

-When someone mentions Wall Street and Main Street in the same train of thought

-When someone starts quoting dollar figures (for example: 700 billion)

-When someone talks about mortgages/foreclosures/homeowners

FOREIGN POLICY SPECIFIC RULES:

TAKE A SHOT:

-If anyone uses the words "surge" or "victory"

-When anyone mentions a particular nation as being a potential "nuclear" threat

-When McCain talks about Islamic Radicals/Terrorists

-When Georgia and/or Russia are mentioned

-When Iran and/or Iraq are mentioned

-When Afghanistan is mentioned

-It's a social for al Qaeda or North Korea!

-Finish whatever you are drinking if anyone delivers specifics on how to get out of Iraq "safely and responsibly".

HuffPo has this one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-nelson/the-presidential-debate-d_b_129609.html
    Every time John McCain mentions his POW experience, praise his courage and drink a kamikaze. This one is only for the heavy drinkers.

Every time Obama says change everyone has to switch seats and drink the other person's drink of choice.

Every time John McCain tries to associate Barack Obama with an unsavory character, take a sip of your dirty martini.

Every time someone says bailout you have to finish your drink and pour another.

Every time John McCain says "my friends", spit out your drink and shout "I am not your friend" at the television.

Every time "evil", "evil doers", or anything with evil is mentioned, drink a sip of French red wine.

Every time John McCain threatens Iran, drink a savage car bomb or cherry bomb.

Every time Barack Obama ties John McCain to George W. Bush, drink a sloe gin fizz and wish for better days.

Every time John McCain displays how hopelessly out of touch he is, drink an old bastard.

Every time John McCain refers to the USSR or any other non-existent formerly communist country, get ready to ride the red tide.

When Georgia is mentioned, drink a fuzzy navel.

Every time John McCain mentions Sarah Palin, drink a white russian. After all, if Sarah Palin is around there must be a Russian nearby somewhere.

Every time John McCain smiles creepily, drink a roofie-colada.

If anyone mentions a golden parachute, pound some goldschlager.

Every time John McCain makes an appeal to states rights, lean back and take a sip of that sweet southern comfort.

When NATO membership is mentioned, clink glasses with everyone around you and attack anyone who refuses to clink.

If John McCain doesn't show up, lock yourself inside and sip Jack Daniels all night. It is going to be a long six weeks.

Regardless of what either candidate says, at the end of the debate, drink something that must be lit on fire first then hit yourself in the face with a shovel.

Dude, you would be dead within half an hour from alcohol poisoning if you followed either of these, drinking games should only have 2-3 clauses. :lol:

variant on
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm really looking forward to this - I think it's going to be a great talk - I just hope we see real discussion about issues. McCain's campaign manager has said this race *isn't* about the issues. Let's hope McCain feels differently, because I'd like to see a solid stance and some explanations, not just promises.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm hosting a debate party tonight at my place with the girls. There's going to be a lot of anger in the room. Whenever the camera goes to McCain it's going to be like that scene from Blues Bros where they play Rawhide in the country-western bar.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gonna have some fellow Paers over tonight

much beer will be consumed

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Wetsun wrote: »
    Gonna have to change all those shots to sips to survive.

See honestly I think even this would not be enough.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What's the time period given to each answer? Please don't tell me it's more of that solve Social Security in 30 seconds or less BS.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'll do the FARK game minus the specific rules sections with some friends. I'm planning to get trashed.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    Palin is going to be watching the debate at a pub only a few minutes from me. It's a ticketed event but who knows, maybe on her way out I'll get to smell her hair?

Anyway I'm only 'pro-Obama' when taking the entire ticket into account... with just Obama-McCain I'm close to neutral so I think I'll enjoy this debate a lot.

Organichu on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think I'll just follow the debates in here. The IRC channel is turning weird.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I had to leave the IRC channel because the web client I was using was starting to take up way too much of my processor.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Aegis wrote: »

:(

Just put Obs on ignore and you'll miss most of the weirdness

Medopine on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »

:(

Just put Obs on ignore and you'll miss most of the weirdness

Possibly. Plus it's like 3 hours away still from the debates.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    How about we drink on "bailout"?

And I believe we'll have a webstream from the U of Miss here.

enc0re on
  • Options
    NewresNewres Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wanted to watch it but hell I am way too tired, And again there is the whole "I live in a whole another country so why would I watch another country's debatesm in which I can not vote live" thing. Have fun with the drinking games !

Newres on
    960751-1.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    enc0re wrote: »
    How about we drink on "bailout"?

And I believe we'll have a webstream from the U of Miss here.
    Oh that's awesome. I was going to use CNN's stream but they require Firefox plugins, and fuck that, I just downloaded a plugin from them last month.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jim Lehrer is going to have his hands full tonight. Thank god it's his debate and not Schieffer's, though. The only other moderator that I'd feel confident in not fucking this up, given the bailout getting shoe horned in, would be Ifill.

moniker on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm going to go pick up booze and chips. Then it will be time.

Quid on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Probably have to dump the buzzwords from the drinking rules. If I have to take a shot every time "change," "hope," "maverick," "or "POW" are mentioned, I would expect to be in the bathroom puking within fifteen minutes.

I've got my bottle of scotch handy. Let's do this thing.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Does anyone know of a live stream of the debate that's not CNN / MSNBC? I've tried C-SPAN and the official obama site, but no luck so far. I figured if I'm staying up for it I may as well actually try and watch it rather than refresh message board pages continuously.

edit: i should mention the olemiss site wont load for me

kevindee on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gonna have some fellow Paers over tonight

much beer will be consumed

Wish I could be there with ya.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, is there a stream or live-text going somewhere that I can follow?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
This discussion has been closed.