As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rock Guitar Band World Tour 2: Weighing your options

El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
(Quick caveat: GHWT is not out yet, so the jury may be out on some of this.)

I want to discuss this dilemma of mine. I own Guitar Hero 3, and have played Rock Band and really enjoyed both. With both coming out with fantastic sequels it almost seems unfair to choose between them, yet it hardly seems practical to have an entire room filled with plastic instruments when one will seemingly do the job of the other.

It seems to me that the best strategy will be to buy the full version of one with instruments and buy the software of the other without instruments. With that idea in mind, I am thinking that because GHWT's guitar and drums have slightly more features (extra drum pad, slide section on guitar), I'll go with the full version of GHWT and pick up a (possibly used) copy of RB2. The song list and DLC of RB and RB2 seems to be miles ahead of the GH series, so this seems like a good compromise.

Does this seem like a reasonable strategy? I'm open to input, because I'm sure there are plenty of others out there who didn't rush out and buy RB2 right away because they're in the same dilemma. PLEASE don't make this about "X rules, Y sucks" and other fanboy attitudes. If you really have strong opinions about one or the other please base them upon features you can describe that make a tangible difference.

El Guaco on

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you really want both, it seems so far that your current plan would be the way to go, as it seems GHWT is doing things like using an extra drum color to make their game less friendly/compatible to RB owners. Personally, I'm a RB guy, so my bias is towards RB. However, if you're sure you want to play/own both games, I would get the instruements that work best with both. AFAWK, that might be the GHWT instruements.

Endaro on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The drum situation may or may not force most people to buy two sets of drums. It remains to be seen how well one game's kit works on the other game.... it could be that GH downscales well for RB drums, or it could be it turns them to shit in a way that follows the letter of Sony and Microsoft's demands for cross-compatibility, but not the spirit. (I really wouldn't put this past Activision at this point.)

But we don't know. So I'd really wait and see on this one.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Harmonix's note charts are not huge clusterfucks. I also have a massive thing for Rock Bands art direction... it just looks better

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    Harmonix's note charts are not huge clusterfucks. I also have a massive thing for Rock Bands art direction... it just looks better

So very, very true. It doesn't help that GH has ass art direction.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    El Guaco wrote: »
    PLEASE don't make this about "X rules, Y sucks" and other fanboy attitudes.
    Kyougu wrote:
    It doesn't help that GH has ass art direction.

I would personally recommend that you wait until a bit after GHWT has been released so you can read up on forums and reviews and get a good idea how each game's instruments work with the other. Don't rush out and buy the GHWT bundle because you might get screwed, if not on strict compatibility than just on it not feeling quite right because of the added stuff.

If you can only get one, RB2 is probably the best option due to it's vast selection of songs. It remains to be seen whether GHWT will be properly supported with DLC (considering that GH2 and GH3 both promised this and failed, it's unlikely).

PuddingSenator on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    it could be that GH downscales well for RB drums, or it could be it turns them to shit in a way that follows the letter of Sony and Microsoft's demands for cross-compatibility, but not the spirit.
    Harmonix's note charts are not huge clusterfucks.

Ah, this is something I hadn't really considered much. Being a "real" musician, there are times when GH3 was rather frustrating as the note charts were sometimes inconsistent with the actual notes heard. That really bothered me. Is there any evidence that will change for the better in GHWT? I guess we'll have to wait on that one.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

If you can only get one, RB2 is probably the best option due to it's vast selection of songs. It remains to be seen whether GHWT will be properly supported with DLC (considering that GH2 and GH3 both promised this and failed, it's unlikely).

Well it's interesting to note that GH2 was HMX, not the people currently responsible for the franchise. They got a nice clean slate in the gaming public's eyes when they switched to RB. People seem to forget the completely botched DLC in GH2 was theirs as well. Or they bash Activision for pushing things like GH:Aerosmith and they forget HMX did Rock the 80's.

Endaro on
  • Options
    PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Endaro wrote: »

Well it's interesting to note that GH2 was HMX, not the people currently responsible for the franchise. They got a nice clean slate in the gaming public's eyes when they switched to RB. People seem to forget the completely botched DLC in GH2 was theirs as well. Or they bash Activision for pushing things like GH:Aerosmith and they forget HMX did Rock the 80's.

Actually, the 360 version was published after the purchase of the franchise by Activision. I do know that they basically contracted out the development of the 360 version to HMX, but I'm not sure if they left the responsibility of DLC to them or not.

There is no excuse for Rock the 80s.

PuddingSenator on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Live and learn? The important thing is that you do it right the next time, which I would think that Harmonix did. My only current "regret" with GH3 is seeing the list of RB DLC songs every damn week and instead we get GH: Aerosmith. And I get the feeling that they may try that shit again.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Live and learn? The important thing is that you do it right the next time, which I would think that Harmonix did. My only current "regret" with GH3 is seeing the list of RB DLC songs every damn week and instead we get GH: Aerosmith. And I get the feeling that they may try that shit again.

Your feelings are uncanny.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    it could be that GH downscales well for RB drums, or it could be it turns them to shit in a way that follows the letter of Sony and Microsoft's demands for cross-compatibility, but not the spirit.
    Harmonix's note charts are not huge clusterfucks.

Ah, this is something I hadn't really considered much. Being a "real" musician, there are times when GH3 was rather frustrating as the note charts were sometimes inconsistent with the actual notes heard. That really bothered me. Is there any evidence that will change for the better in GHWT? I guess we'll have to wait on that one.

Hard to tell. A few people have hinted that the GHWT tracks are pretty much like GH3 in previews, but considering the usual video game journalism approach to typically softball previews and not complain much, it's a toss-up. Several forumers who played it have said the tracks were much like GH3.

And I'd be shocked if GH's DLC ever reaches RB's levels, considering Activision executives have publicly stated they want to triple the number of GH disk releases per year. Keep in mind we're already getting four unique GH games this year.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, goddammit. I don't mind a themed update or DLC, but paying $50 for it? So that you can have Lars on the stage with you? Why go through all the trouble of developing this when you're going to release the tracks as DLC? Seriously, someone at Activision isn't thinking that clearly.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, goddammit. I don't mind a themed update or DLC, but paying $50 for it? So that you can have Lars on the stage with you? Why go through all the trouble of developing this when you're going to release the tracks as DLC? Seriously, someone at Activision isn't thinking that clearly.

Actually, we don't know that the tracks are being released as DLC. You may be forced to buy the game in order to play it, and who the hell knows if they'll even integrate into GH:WT.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Personally, I'm planning on picking up the disc version of both, given they are supposedly backwards compatible instrument wise. I already have the RB drumset and RB and GH guitars, so I guess I'm pretty much good to go.

I do have to see how gimped the Wii versions end up, that will influence which one I pick up first though.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It seems to me that the best strategy will be to buy the full version of one with instruments and buy the software of the other without instruments. With that idea in mind, I am thinking that because GHWT's guitar and drums have slightly more features (extra drum pad, slide section on guitar), I'll go with the full version of GHWT and pick up a (possibly used) copy of RB2. The song list and DLC of RB and RB2 seems to be miles ahead of the GH series, so this seems like a good compromise.

As others have pointed out, the full extent of compatibility won't really be known until you have both games and all the instruments actually sitting at your house, but I think it's safe money that all of the instruments will be cross-compatible at some base level but each will have individual strengths for their native game that you're not going to get in the other one. You mention the slide section on the GH guitar, but the Rock Band 2 Strat also has solo buttons up on the fret (can use at any point, but during solos you can use them without having to strum), and there's also an auto-calibration feature that sets up your home system automatically. I highly doubt any of these features are going to work in the other game.

Additionally, the RB Strat and GH guitar have two very distinct feels; the RB Strat has the more flaccid, rubbery strummer that some people dislike over the clicky-clacky GH strummer, but I love the Strat. The fret buttons also have very different tactile setups, so you might be more comfortable with one guitar over another.

The drums are the bigger question, and due to the way the games seem to chart drums, you're not going to get 100 percent compatibility, and it's due to how Harmonix charted certain songs in Rock Band: Songs like Everlong and Teenage Riot, where the main pattern is 16th note hits on a high hat, have the hi-hat on Red and the snare on Yellow, but in GH's Everlong the hi-hat is Yellow and the snare is Red. This doesn't happen with every song, but I think it'll come up enough that it might be a problem if you're a high-level drummer.

Long story short, you should pick a "primary" game that you definitely want 100 percent compatibility with, buy those instruments and enjoy the fuck out of that game. Then consider the functionality with the second game as a very nice bonus.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Actually, the 360 version was published after the purchase of the franchise by Activision. I do know that they basically contracted out the development of the 360 version to HMX, but I'm not sure if they left the responsibility of DLC to them or not.

There is no excuse for Rock the 80s.

You mean aside from the fact that it was on a platform where DLC wasn't feasible in the slightest?

Dirty on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's worth mentioning that if you can borrow a copy of Rock Band from someone, when you buy Rock Band 2, you can get (almost) all the songs from Rock Band 1 on your hard drive for RB2 for $5.

LewieP on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is it confirmed that GHWT has the drums driver software? I wouldn't mind playing it on my drumset.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd normally say go with Rock Band 2, but now I'm waiting for GHWT since my character/band data is being glitched/deleted on RB2. I've sworn it off until a patch hits.

Arg.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My experience with Guitar Hero World Tour has pretty much left me to possibly renting GHWT and using the Rock Band instruments, if I feel like I'm missing something from the RB tracklist that only Guitar Hero can provide.

This is mostly because despite the party atmosphere attributed to these two musical entertainment games, Guitar Hero World Tour seems to be catering more to the ScoreHero Hardcore players and alienating people who maybe can't wail on all the skittles as they fly by. The most apparent evidence of such is that, as I mentioned after my PAX playthrough, one member of the band failing on GHWT fails the song. There is no savior.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Harmonix makles betgter games.

Red Octance makes better instruments

Evander on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Evander's posting drunk. Awesome.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you really want both, it seems so far that your current plan would be the way to go, as it seems GHWT is doing things like using an extra drum color to make their game less friendly/compatible to RB owners. Personally, I'm a RB guy, so my bias is towards RB. However, if you're sure you want to play/own both games, I would get the instruements that work best with both. AFAWK, that might be the GHWT instruements.

I was positive I read somewhere the folks at Activision talking about removing a fret from the chart when you used the RB drums... maybe in the Game Informer preview? I dunno... :|

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    chasm wrote: »
    Evander's posting drunk. Awesome.

What?

And seriously, the build quality of rock band instruments is shit. anyone who defends them is just biased based on RB being the better game, and ignoring the fact that the instruments themselves are simply unreliable.

Red Octane, on the other hand, has a history of making high quality peripherals. Guitar Hero, and hence Rock Band, would never have taken off if it weren't for their guitar designs. Harmonix makes amazing games, but it was Red Octane who got the GH franchise noticed, and in doing so paved the way for Rock Band.

Just because each company has since been bought out by much larger entities doesn't mean that you have to pick one to be good and the other to be evil. They are both leaders within their particular areas.

Evander on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I agree with Evander. However, I will say that the RB2 guitar is much, much improved over the RB1 guitar. I probably like it more than the Xplorer, even. But that's just me.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wait... You guys seriously like the Les Paul over the Strat? The one with the removable neck that loses its connection with the fret buttons CONSTANTLY? That thing is an industrial design disaster.

I can't speak for the new GH guitar, of course, so maybe they've turned it around since then...

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Both the RB1 strat and the les paul had issues...

But the rb2 strat is molded from 100% highly concentrated awesomeness.

it is by far my number 1 fake plastic instrument.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fuck Harmonix. They can't be bothered to make Rock Band 2 have DLC for the Wii. Activision can. My money is going to Activision.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wait... aren't they? I thought that they were.

And Guitar Hero is going to have DLC? I would have thought that they would have just release expansion packs.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Evander wrote: »
    And seriously, the build quality of rock band instruments is shit. anyone who defends them is just biased based on RB being the better game, and ignoring the fact that the instruments themselves are simply unreliable.

Red Octane, on the other hand, has a history of making high quality peripherals. Guitar Hero, and hence Rock Band, would never have taken off if it weren't for their guitar designs. Harmonix makes amazing games, but it was Red Octane who got the GH franchise noticed, and in doing so paved the way for Rock Band.

Or we haven't had problems with our RB controllers. Both my drums and guitar still work great, even though I bought them in a launch package. I also love the feel of them both.

I won't deny Red Octane's awesomeness at making peripherals, but the RB instruments are still great. And Guitar Hero took off not because of the instruments, but because of the mixture of nice instruments, awesome music, and good gameplay. It was not one or the other.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Fuck Harmonix. They can't be bothered to make Rock Band 2 have DLC for the Wii. Activision can. My money is going to Activision.
    Activision says they can. They also said a lot of things that never worked out.

And as far as I know Harmonix have said that RB2 Wii will be 'complete', hopefully meaning it'll have dlc.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'll echo whoever it was that said that you can't decide at this point.

Wait until WT is out (it's only a month away), read the reviews of the software and more importantly hardware, see how RB drums work out in GH and vice versa, Neversoft DLC plans (weekly seems to be the plan, but of mice and men) and make a decision then.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    psyck0 wrote: »

Thing is, you'll probably be able to have about 7 songs before running out of room.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »

Or we haven't had problems with our RB controllers. Both my drums and guitar still work great, even though I bought them in a launch package. I also love the feel of them both.

I won't deny Red Octane's awesomeness at making peripherals, but the RB instruments are still great. And Guitar Hero took off not because of the instruments, but because of the mixture of nice instruments, awesome music, and good gameplay. It was not one or the other.

It was the instruments that got the intial attention.

Harmonix has made other, similar, awesome games before, with popular liscenced music, and the mainstream didn't care.

When you throw Red Octane's guitars in to the mix, you get the attention needed in order for the mainstream to sit down and play the game, and see how awesome it is.

Evander on
  • Options
    Syd LexiaSyd Lexia Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    X rules, Y sucks!

Syd Lexia on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Syd Lexia wrote: »
    X rules, Y sucks!

X and Y both rule!

Evander on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Guys, clearly Z is the superior one.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Rock Revolution?

Really?

Evander on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Damnit, I can't find the source that said no Wii DLC for RB2 and DLC for GHWT, but I KNOW I read it.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Activision has said there will be GHWT Wii DLC. They said there'd be GH3 Wii DLC too, though.

The method they will use basically is that you save all your songs to a flash card and run them from there.

Harmonix has been pretty close-lipped on exactly which features will and won't be in the Wii version of RB2. I pay pretty close attention to their news and haven't seen anything that clarifies their approach to Wii DLC.

Dehumanized on