As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video/Audio Recording (for a Let's Play)

ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
I'm sure there are threads for this all over these forums, but I cannot seem to find them. My search-fu is weak.

I'm thinking of doing a video let's play and I'm trying to find the best and cheapest, though actually more focus on cheap (FREE) and best.

I found CamStudio, but I can't seem to choose both speaker and microphone recording at the same time. I could just use my internal mic (which would pick up the audio from the speakers and my voice), but that seems like a insufficient solution. I did see someone mention that it's possible to use CamStudio to record the speaker output and just use "recorder" to do the microphone and then use Premier Elements (which I have) to combine them. It would just take some extra work to line up the audio commentary.
Plus, I'm not sure how much more of a performance hit I would take using recorder as well as CamStudio.

Is there something else out there that will do this for free?

I know FRAPS is the standard, but that costs money so far as I can tell.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
ArcSyn on

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't know your financial situation, but I paid $35 for FRAPS, and even though I barely use it (ever) I'd still say it was worth it.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Make sure you try the setup wizard under the audio options. It pretty much gives you the choices there. Also, make sure the source is the stereo mixer and not the microphone since that would only record your voice.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Make sure you try the setup wizard under the audio options. It pretty much gives you the choices there. Also, make sure the source is the stereo mixer and not the microphone since that would only record your voice.

Yeah, I got stereo mix working in Vista (oi!) and CamStudio is recording that. If I do set it to use my internal mic it does record both my speakers (since it's picking them up through it) and my voice, but it doesn't sound so good. Plus I would prefer to play with headphones and use a plugged-in mic.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Yeah, I got stereo mix working in Vista (oi!) and CamStudio is recording that. If I do set it to use my internal mic it does record both my speakers (since it's picking them up through it) and my voice, but it doesn't sound so good. Plus I would prefer to play with headphones and use a plugged-in mic.

Wait, are you on a laptop? I record my stuff the way you want to without problems. As long as it isn't a USB mic then you should be fine.

As for audio quality, I'm not sure why it isn't coming out well. Try switching the encoder to something else with a higher bit rate.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Wait, are you on a laptop? I record my stuff the way you want to without problems. As long as it isn't a USB mic then you should be fine.

As for audio quality, I'm not sure why it isn't coming out well. Try switching the encoder to something else with a higher bit rate.

Yeah, Dell D620.

When you say "the way you want" do you mean record both voice and speakers through internal mic, or record speakers through CamStudio and mic through recorder?

The audio quality isn't too bad, but I'd have to crank my speakers up a bunch to level out the sound with my voice (or you'd never hear the game) and considering that I generally will be trying to do this after my kids are asleep it would be a lot nicer to use headphones. It's not really an encoder problem sound issue.

Thanks for the replies so far.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I asked this same question and was told that FRAPS was the way to go, and that I should stop being such a cheap bastard and just buy it. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Yeah, Dell D620.

When you say "the way you want" do you mean record both voice and speakers through internal mic, or record speakers through CamStudio and mic through recorder?

The audio quality isn't too bad, but I'd have to crank my speakers up a bunch to level out the sound with my voice (or you'd never hear the game) and considering that I generally will be trying to do this after my kids are asleep it would be a lot nicer to use headphones. It's not really an encoder problem sound issue.

I meant using a headset and CamStudio recording from that mic instead of the internal one. By the sound of it, your internal mic is picking the audio from the speakers and not the actually being recorded by CamStudio at all. Is there anyway to disable the internal mic? That could be one way to get CamStudio to use your headset rather than the internal mic.

Also, if your headset is a USB one, you're SOL. USB mics act as separate audio devices and CamStudio can't capture in game audio while using one to record.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Yeah, Dell D620.

I meant using a headset and CamStudio recording from that mic instead of the internal one. By the sound of it, your internal mic is picking the audio from the speakers and not the actually being recorded by CamStudio at all. Is there anyway to disable the internal mic? That could be one way to get CamStudio to use your headset rather than the internal mic.

Also, if your headset is a USB one, you're SOL. USB mics act as separate audio devices and CamStudio can't capture in game audio while using one to record.

Usually just plugging in a headset/mic/etc is enough to disable the onboard mike in most laptops. Haven't tried a D620 specifically.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Ok, here's what I'm working with, and any help provided would be greatly appreciated.

Dell D620 Laptop
    Vista Business 32bit
    SigmaTel Audio

Sound Recording Devices:
    External Mic
    Internal Mic
    Line In
    Stereo Mix (direct audio) (activated in Vista using WinXP drivers)

I'm trying to record Descent 1, which uses DosBox.
    I've been using CamStudio, I've downloaded Fraps, but when I hit F9, nothing happens.

I tried having CamStudio record from Stereo Mix to record the game, which works.
    However, I cannot have more than 1 device being recorded at the same time. So running recorder set to record my external mic does not work.

If I set CamStudio to record my internal mic, it will pic up both my voice and my speakers, but the audio fades in and out constantly, as it's probably trying to adjust for the noise from my speakers and my voice. It's pretty much unacceptable for a commentary let's play.

Fraps, for some reason, just doesn't seem to work. Perhaps someone may know some more about it. I downloaded the trial, and when I hit F9, nothing happens. I cannot seem to get it to record video. Also, I don't know if it's able to do what I want either, record both Stereo Mix and my external mic simultaneously.

I'm probably going to have to either do a commentary after the fact, or try to set up a secondary computer to record my voice while recording stereo mix of the game.

How do the rest of you record a let's play with commentary? Maybe it's just my audio card?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Glad I found this thread so I wouldn't have to post a new one. I'm thinking of doing a video LP myself for either a SNES, N64, Dreamcast or a PS1 game (haven't decided yet) and I could use some basics laid down when it comes to what to use and how to use it. If any of our LP-gurus here could lay some of their wisdom down for a beginner, I'd really appreciate it.

Owenashi on