Options

New to tabletop gaming...

Reign90Reign90 Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Critical Failures
I was thinking about getting into tabletop games for a while. Mainly because I thought that if they had survived all the way to today then there must be something to them. I got especially excited when I saw this.

The only thing that bugs me though is the unbelievable amount of text, papers, counters, rules, dice and cards (so many I could use them as weapons). But I know this is part of tabletop gaming and am willing to stomach it and learn if it means a good game.

So my question is this, is it really enjoyable and worth it? Also, was it easy to get into and play? And lastly, has anyone played this particular game, and was it good?
(Thanks for all the help!)

Reign90 on

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The biggest thing in any TT game, for myself at least, is the group.

It doesn't matter the game you're playing in the slightest if your group sucks immensely.

Get yourself a good group of friends that you can stand and that aren't morons or asshats, and you're off to a good start.

can't check links... going to bed...

but you'll get some responses i'm sure.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, I've been eying Arkham Horror for a while now as well. I've got a group I know I could get to throw down on it, so I'm not sure what my hesitation is. It looks pretty fun.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ack! I'm going to say this right now. You don't need tons of bits to play a lot of games. Many are very, very simple, and don't suffer from simplicity. Some of the best games have the fewest components, and the simplest, to boot.

To answer your question(s)...

1. Yes. Absolutely. TTgaming is one of the great joys of my life. If you have friends, you can have fun sitting around a table playing games. It adds friendly rivalries and in-jokes and good times. A lot of my fondest memories come directly from playing boardgames with my bestest friends.
    If you don't have friends, or friends who are willing to play these games, then no, it's not. TTgaming is 90% the group you're playing with, as Ahava said.

2. This is very, very subjective, depending on where you start and your personality. Remember, each boardgame is a different thing entirely! Some games take a little while to get into, some are brilliant and fun right from the start. Overall, however, the hobby is really easy to get into. The hard part is getting out of it. I spend SO MUCH on board games. It is terrible. Arkham is a good starting spot as long as you have a bit of patience to figure it out. Fiddly, with more pieces than almost any other board game in the world, but so very rewarding.

3. Arkham is a spectacular game. It really is. It has a ton of fiddly bits, as said just above, but it's awesome and rewarding to play. If you're looking for an introduction into boardgames, or just to lure your friends onto the tabletop, it's a fun way to start. However, there's a few things you should do before you play your first game with friends, so that it doesn't get hopelessly bogged down.

Make sure you play at least one game simply by yourself, to make sure you have a knowledge of all the rules. This is a good idea for ANY game, but especially for something as fiddly as Arkham.
    Also, set the game up before people get there. There's a lot of bits, so it can take a good 15/20 minutes to put everything out. If you have it set up on a table, people will be all 'ooh, what's this?' and then you can lure them in right away.
    Play your first game against Yig. It makes it fast, it makes it furious, and the final battle can be challenging as hell if you aren't all blessed in time.
    Oh, and make sure you have a big table. Arkham is a very very big game.

But it makes me happy to hear that another person is looking to join the hobby. Good luck in your adventures!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Slipstream.ccSlipstream.cc Mill Creek, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Rainfall, those suggestions are excellent. I've been playing a lot of the big Euro style games, Arkham, Star Wars Minis, WoW TCG, and everything you said is true. I never thought about laying the board out before anyone else got there. I'll consider doing that when I can finally meet people to play Senji. I've had the game for a month and a half and have yet to play it.

Slipstream.cc on
    I play Indoors | PAX's Attended: 07 08 09 10 12 13
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I personally think one of the best games to start out on is Settlers of Catan, it's really a fantastic game, but if you're looking for something a little bit more thematic AH is probably your best bet. Overall, if you like board games, and like Cthulhu mythos, you'll almost certainly get a ton of enjoyment out of Akham Horror.

Also, as Rainfall said, it's a pretty big game, me and my roommates only really have a coffee table for playing games on, so we throw a half sheet of plywood on top of it to make room, and that leaves it pretty crowded (4'x4').

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Reign90Reign90 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Thanks for all the help and advice! I especially like the idea of setting it up before your friends come over Rainfall. I also like the idea of playing by yourself before with others (I do that with video games and card games [Magic: The Gathering])

Reign90 on
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Also, remember, if they don't like AH, get new friends and stop taking their calls.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also, remember, if they don't like AH, get new friends and stop taking their calls.

Indeed. I would like to add something to the play alone the first time suggestion: Sometimes it's more fun to learn as a group, and people will pick up on things you missed. Wouldn't necessarily reccommend that for AH though.

Not to sell you stuff you don't want but for getting into boardgames without spending too much coin, look into Cheapass Games. Lots of fun, usually quick games and you can use all those bits from AH for them. Kill Doctor Lucky is really fun too. Although it does ruin friendships.

Zellpher on