We have a new update on The Future of the Penny Arcade Forums.

System Shock 2 is a complete rip off of Bioshock!

13»

• Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    On the subject of SS2 mods, Ponterbee Station is an amazing one, if you forgive the rather pony voice acting. Some of the level design is better than the original.

Everything cept the voice work and maybe some of the models are done by one bored German housewife, I believe.

The sequel, UNN Nightwalker, was good but too short.
    Then she went on to do one set on an icy planet, the name of the mod eludes me, but that was pretty entertaining too.
    And the most recent one is a tropical beach vacation. In SS2. Yes.

Sorry but I don't have any links for them.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    On the subject of SS2 mods, Ponterbee Station is an amazing one, if you forgive the rather pony voice acting. Some of the level design is better than the original.

Everything cept the voice work and maybe some of the models are done by one bored German housewife, I believe.

Then she went on to do one set on an icy planet, the name of the mod eludes me, but that was pretty entertaining too.

Wow, that's the weirdest thing ever.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2008
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »

Wow, that's the weirdest thing ever.

Allegedly, the way the community knew without doubt that it was really a she was a Thief level she made where the urinals (why urinals in Thief? no idea) had toilet paper holders next to them.

Silliness aside I cannot recommend them enough.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
    edited October 2008
    Found the site for those mods: http://zinkchristine.de/

Interestingly she's updated three of them in the past week with some new stuff. Must have another go.

EDIT: Hehe, gotta love the storage area full of rubber ducks with elevator muzak. Stupid XerxesXP messing up.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Anyone have any suggestions for getting co-op to work on this?

It seems to want to recognize my router number, not my IP or Hamachi IP

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There's a good thread for multiplayer at one of the SS2 forums:

http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php?topic=61

Tricky part is finding a group of good people with the time.

Antithesis on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man I should just set up a game with a friend or two of mine around here. Is there any way to get SS2 to work on OSX with any kind of emulator or something?

NickTheNewbie on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sheepman wrote: »
    what drugs is the op maker on when he does his blog? i have no idea. its a crazy thing.

anyways, system shock 2 is much scarier than bioshock, and i liked not having an inventory in bioshock.

Tylenol PM.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The only thing I missed in Bioshock was how research worked

The only thing I missed in Bioshock was how it was designed for simpletons. Liked the story, thought the game was way to watered down for the masses.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    jefe414 wrote: »

The only thing I missed in Bioshock was how it was designed for simpletons. Liked the story, thought the game was way to watered down for the masses.

Though I agree, people here are going to tear you apart for saying that.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited October 2008
    jefe414 wrote: »

I'm gonna have to disagree to a point. The only actual dumbed-down things were those I found pretty annoying. I didn't like having to go grab chemicals for research for example. As in, if I start research on something and the chemical's not on this floor I'd have go go back.

The hacking in Bioshock would have been better if it didn't pause the game, but the hacking minigame they used makes that a bit impractical, especially on consoles.

And honestly I did not miss weapon degradation one little bit.

Though I'll grant you the loss of the skills system, that was a little disappointing. There were fewer plasmids than psi powers too, though to be fair I only ever use half a dozen psi powers anyway, all support ones.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This is the best thread.

electricitylikesme on
  • uranidiotloluranidiotlol Registered User new member
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    Doesn't SS2 have an inventory system? BioShock doesn't have an inventory system.

ss24.jpg

That's just a way to distinguish itself for having the graphics that it has, it needs something more than just 720p like Bioshock. It's like they dont have the memory that Bioshock had. in Bioshock you could hold everything you wanted and not have to worry about inventory management. In SS2 its like they put it in to make you think you were doing something clever but instead it's simply them not being able to fully utilize the gigs and gigs of memory that todays gaming systems have to offer.

So anyway, I just played a litte more and put a few more things together.

The game starts off in a Medical Center. Remind anyone of anything? That's right, Bioshock did it first.

Then I also take back my comment about the Vitachambers. System Shock 2 does the same thing, except they are called Bioreconstructive Centers, or some other BS, I can't remember, I am going to go alt+tab back in and futz around some more to see what I can come up with.

idiot. SS2 was made way before Bioshock was. and 2K said they based the game off SS2

• OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    The thread that just keeps giving

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Peewi wrote: »
    Doesn't SS2 have an inventory system? BioShock doesn't have an inventory system.

ss24.jpg

That's just a way to distinguish itself for having the graphics that it has, it needs something more than just 720p like Bioshock. It's like they dont have the memory that Bioshock had. in Bioshock you could hold everything you wanted and not have to worry about inventory management. In SS2 its like they put it in to make you think you were doing something clever but instead it's simply them not being able to fully utilize the gigs and gigs of memory that todays gaming systems have to offer.

So anyway, I just played a litte more and put a few more things together.

The game starts off in a Medical Center. Remind anyone of anything? That's right, Bioshock did it first.

Then I also take back my comment about the Vitachambers. System Shock 2 does the same thing, except they are called Bioreconstructive Centers, or some other BS, I can't remember, I am going to go alt+tab back in and futz around some more to see what I can come up with.

idiot. SS2 was made way before Bioshock was. and 2K said they based the game off SS2

You're a fucking genius.

robot santa, close the thread

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Tube. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.