As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

need a windows instal cd

GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Is it possible to just buy a windows install cd cheap if you already have the license key? I want to format my laptop but don't have any system restore cds. Also, i remember people talking about making custom windows install cds that you could include all your settings, 3rd party programs, drivers, etc. Where can i find more information on those?

Grimm on

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Javen on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You could borrow it from a friend. Custom install CDs usually aren't worth the trouble, but it's called slipstreaming if you want to look it up.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You could borrow it from a friend. Custom install CDs usually aren't worth the trouble, but it's called slipstreaming if you want to look it up.

I will look it up, thanks. I don't have any friends with the install i need. Either way, i would like to have my own so i don't have to waste days trying to get it off of someone since i live about an hour away from most of my friends.

Grimm on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You could try contacting the laptop manufacturer for install media. Mileage may vary wildly depending on the age of the laptop and the company that made it, of course.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You could try contacting the laptop manufacturer for install media. Mileage may vary wildly depending on the age of the laptop and the company that made it, of course.

Never thought to try that. Its a gateway laptop i bought a couple years ago. My main concern is getting a install disc for this computer which has windows xp media center edition but i would also like to know how to get discs in general. I'm gonna end up needing one for xp pro on my desktop pretty soon too. You cant just call up microsoft and have them mail out a cd?

Grimm on
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Grimm wrote: »

Never thought to try that. Its a gateway laptop i bought a couple years ago. My main concern is getting a install disc for this computer which has windows xp media center edition but i would also like to know how to get discs in general. I'm gonna end up needing one for xp pro on my desktop pretty soon too. You cant just call up microsoft and have them mail out a cd?

Yes it's possible to get a Windows CD without a key, but it will cost money regardless. Copies of such media are restricted to companies/entities with a "right to copy" agreement for Microsoft software, and then they have specific volume licenses for use by their employee's/staff. I do however doubt you are in that position... so your best bet is to see about getting the media from the laptop manufacturer. That's the best bet with laptops anyways, it's pretty common for them to have some really hard to find drivers that are either needed on install or make your life miserable to do without post installation.

As for slipstreaming... this is not worth your time unless you are installing on several systems at the same time, or will be resintalling everything on your one pc lots and lots of times. That's a practice that is used in IT shops because it makes installing the OS on dozens to thousands of nearly identical systems a painless process. In order for it to be worthwhile it needs to be updated.... not much sense making a custom installer to save time, then still needing to spend 3 hours post install running the 2 years worth of updates it's now missing.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You've already purchased legal copies of windows, so I don't think this is out of line: download a windows cd image. Torrent sites usually have one, and I don't know see why that would be a problem. All they care about is the license.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Crashtard wrote: »
    You've already purchased legal copies of windows, so I don't think this is out of line: download a windows cd image. Torrent sites usually have one, and I don't know see why that would be a problem. All they care about is the license.

Not really, it's just as illegal unless he has the original copy. It's like downloading a copy of an album you owned years ago and lost. As far as MS goes, they don't seem to care that much unless you are using a pirated Key of course, but none the less, they have a totally difference license for companies and the like being able to use copies of the software (aside from the fair use argument of course).

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

That's what I did when my wife's laptop harddrive crash. I saw it as no different as borrowing a friend's disk - maybe the legalities are sketchy because for a brief moment we were technically sharing the disk image with others, but it was the easiest thing for us to do at the time.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

That's what I did when my wife's laptop harddrive crash. I saw it as no different as borrowing a friend's disk - maybe the legalities are sketchy because for a brief moment we were technically sharing the disk image with others, but it was the easiest thing for us to do at the time.

Same thing happened with my fiancee's laptop, and this was the only reasonable option to recover before she had to use it for school.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The only thing about that is after i did a quick torrent search this morning, most of what i found was cracked installs. Descriptions saying you wouldn't even need a cd key. I guess i'll try contacting gateway tomorrow and keep looking around online for something usable. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Mods: This thread seems to be becoming borderline against the rules. Its not my intent for this to happen so if you feel the need to lock this, i understand and offer my apologies.

Grimm on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Not really, it's just as illegal unless he has the original copy. It's like downloading a copy of an album you owned years ago and lost. As far as MS goes, they don't seem to care that much unless you are using a pirated Key of course, but none the less, they have a totally difference license for companies and the like being able to use copies of the software (aside from the fair use argument of course).
    No its not..with Windows you don't actually buy the disk, you buy a license to use the software. As long as you have a license its perfectly legal to d/l a disk image. It's not legal to share the image, but thats for the image provider to worry about, not you.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Its a good thing with torrents you only download and not upload. Oh wait.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    No its not..with Windows you don't actually buy the disk, you buy a license to use the software. As long as you have a license its perfectly legal to d/l a disk image. It's not legal to share the image, but thats for the image provider to worry about, not you.

That's inaccurate, if you read MS's agreement, it specifies you cannot copy or distribute the media. The fact that they rarely enforce it doesn't mean it's legal, they just make their money from the licenses so generally turn a blind eye to copied media. None the less, they have an entire subset of licensing specifically for those who wish to distribute their own versions, hence "volume licensing". You get 1 key/set of keys and the right to distribute the OS however you see fit within the terms of that agreement... but that doesn't filter down to the normal end user.

*edit*
    And as a side note.. while I would not advocate downloading the software, I will say that if you get your hands on a disk and have your own key... the chances that anyone would come down on you for installing it on anything save a branded MS certified piece of circular plastic that is yours and yours alone are pretty infinitesimal.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Downloading Windows from Torrent sites is a bad idea. The wonderful people behind a lot of malware have started distributing pre-infected copies of Windows that way, and if you install a rooted copy of windows you probably won’t know that you did until after it’s already sent your credit card number, account names, and passwords to a server somewhere in Asia.

supabeast on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    embrik wrote: »

So far it just looks like you can order service pack updates and not the entire operating system. That link is kinda confusing but i'm looking through it. Thanks

Grimm on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Grimm wrote: »
    embrik wrote: »

So far it just looks like you can order service pack updates and not the entire operating system. That link is kinda confusing but i'm looking through it. Thanks

There is a link there for information in case you have an OEM system in which the OEM seller no longer exists. You enter in the Information you have, etc etc.

Towards the top it basically tells you to contact the OEM vendor for software/media replacement. In your case that would be Gateway.

I've never had to deal with Gateway support, so I have no idea what you would expect. But it leaves you in the same spot as you were to start.. either Gateway will be able to help you out in one fashion or another, or you will have to find another disk elsewhere.

EclecticGroove on