As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Making it until I can see someone. [slightly updated]

LackadaisicalLackadaisical Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I have two appointments, one on the 20th and one on the 28th. They are to see a therapist and a psychologist, respectively. I scheduled them weeks ago, and it's...hard. This was the first available instance of being able to see them, and I've waited and waited...no cancellations.

I'm going nuts. Having trouble seeing a point anymore--hardly want to get out of bed when I wake up in the morning, let alone go to the store, class, or cook food. It's actually getting to the point where I sit around hungry for half to most of a day, and then end up at a drive through, despite it taking longer to get to the drive through than it would to cook something, and being aware of that fact. When I go to the store, if I can actually make it there, I meander. I walk from aisle to aisle discrediting options inside my head--Spaghetti? Too much work and too many dishes. Cereal? Not fulfilling. Eggs? (I actually buy these...and then they sit in the fridge for gross amount of times, and then the trash)

I know I'm totally apathetic, and quite depressed. But, what the hell is the point? It's been weeks since school started and I feel totally alone. I'm on a first name basis with one other person, and given my last meeting with them, I'm quite sure that they're some kind of religious cultist.

What the hell do I do?

It's a warm feeling when you realize that people share your views...
mrt144 wrote: »
Sandra Lee and Rachel Ray raped food.
Lackadaisical on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Is this a school therapist? Because if so, if you walk into the office armed with the sentence "I need to see someone because I'm depressed and thinking about quitting school, and I made an appointment weeks ago but I can't wait anymore" they will make some time for you.

When I was a junior in college, I had to do that because all I wanted to do was quit and go the fuck home. My mother talked me into seeing a school therapist. When I went in and said that, they all but told me I'd said the magic words. At that school, if you walk in saying you want to kill yourself or quit school, they have to hook you up with someone.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    stawkstawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ceres wrote: »
    Is this a school therapist? Because if so, if you walk into the office armed with the sentence "I need to see someone because I'm depressed and thinking about quitting school, and I made an appointment weeks ago but I can't wait anymore" they will make some time for you.

When I was a junior in college, I had to do that because all I wanted to do was quit and go the fuck home. My mother talked me into seeing a school therapist. When I went in and said that, they all but told me I'd said the magic words. At that school, if you walk in saying you want to kill yourself or quit school, they have to hook you up with someone.

this is prolly the advice best any of us could give you.

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    ceres wrote: »

Wonderful. I'll try it tomorrow.

Lackadaisical on
  • Options
    sillypantssillypants Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was getting super depressed a couple weeks ago. Since then I've met with my school psychiatrist, been driving back home to spend time with my family, and I have an appointment with a counselor I'll be seeing on a regular basis.

I had to get a referrel to see the school psychiatrist but when I went to get the referrel I was a bad point. The person there said that if I needed to see someone right that moment then I could. So I agree with Ceres, just go to your school and say exactly that.

Good luck and I really do hope you feel better.

sillypants on
  • Options
    HermusHermus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah dude, I've been going through some of the same shit (depression/anxiety/being apathetic and such). I just got an appointment with a psychiatrist, but it's not at my university. I don't know how your health clinic works at your school, but I think they usually employ graduate students at mine, which is good because it is free, but the quality of care might not be as hot as if you went to a professional.

Hermus on
  • Options
    oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You may want to check out Mood Gym: http://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome

The advice in the thread is already great, I thought I'd just add this link because it has helped me in combination with other types of treatment. It's Australian-hosted but anyone can use it. I don't live in Australia myself.

onceling on
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It sounds silly, but if you have any friends nearby, tell them how you feel. They'll probably be interested/worried. If any of them in the area have some free time, they might visit you.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    stawkstawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Any chance for an update? Really hope the advice helped.

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah. Worked wonders. I spoke to a therapist. Tried to discuss all of my problems, ran out of time. Have another appointment to see her on Monday. I'm not really sure how much talking about it really does, though. I mean, it doesn't really feel all of that different.

On a side note there was a cancellation for one of the three psychologist's so I have an appointment to see one at 9:00 am today, and we'll see how that goes.

Lackadaisical on
  • Options
    lizard eats flieslizard eats flies Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sometimes its hard to imagine a tangible benefit from just talking about things, but it DOES help. It gets you talking about it. It makes it so you have a person who will listen and not judge. And it can get you on the path to figuring out how to work through your issues.

lizard eats flies on