As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Network Attached Storage for Morons

ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
My mom's doing her master's degree and took the leap into computer-world with a laptop over the summer. She knows nothing about computers...she has come a long long way since buying the laptop, but just last week she couldn't find the location of a file even while she was working on said file. She downloads files, saves and opens them, but still doesn't grasp the concept of where they are.

Suffice it to say, she is not backing any of her shit up. My dad and I are concerned about her losing her master's stuff or stuff related to a nursing clinical she's teaching, and want to get backups going. My dad also wants it for his own purposes. I was wondering if there are any PC NAS drives that come with automatic backup. The goal here is to set several directories to automatically back themselves up on the NAS when she adds/removes/changes stuff in them. Time Capsule won't work; this is a Windows Vista Home Premium laptop. Performance/size are not factors here; automatic backup is the chief requirement.

Note: Based on what my dad wants to do (video editing stuff and the like), MobileMe is not an option. While size isn't a "factor" it needs to be at least 200GB and located in their house.

tl;dr What is a good automatic backup NAS drive that can be setup on a Vista Home Premium computer for someone who knows jackshit about computers?

subedii wrote: »
I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
Scrublet on

• Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Looks like this one right here has some automatic backup software included

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've heard good things about the D-Link DNS-323. About $140 for the NAS, and you should be able to grab a couple 250GB SATA drives for around $50 each. Set yourself up a RAID1 NAS.

Included software also supports scheduled backups.

Ruckus on