As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bioshock 2

NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Games and Technology
if this is old, let it be known i searched for the bioshock thread.

if it is old, let it be known that i am ashamed of this forum for not discussing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Aedy06NMuU&eurl=http://www.n4g.com/News-216485.aspx

sea of dreams, huh?

Nuzak on

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was hoping it would be a prequel set in the civil war. Kinda dissapointed it seems to be a sequal. Basically says nothing, just a confirmation. I wonder how they're going to handle the ending.
    I really wish they'd just made one good ending, instead of two awful ones. It was really unecessary

Prohass on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Was just about to post this, but I was looking for the PS3 Bioshock thread that was made.

All I can say is this was expected, but I'm still hard for it.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I want that doll.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I heard it was being made by a different development team. All I want is less 'twists' and more focus on letting the environment tell its story. But I have a feeling it will turn into an epic "halo"esque hollywood story, simply set in rapture.

Prohass on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    I want that doll.

Glal on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I can't fucking wait.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Prohass wrote: »
    I heard it was being made by a different development team. All I want is less 'twists' and more focus on letting the environment tell its story. But I have a feeling it will turn into an epic "halo"esque hollywood story, simply set in rapture.

For reference, it is a different team (2K Marin), but the creative lead is Jordan Thomas, which is notable for two very good reasons:

1) He created Fort Frolic, which was almost inarguably the best part of BioShock.
    2) He worked on a little game called Thief: Deadly Shadows, and personally designed a little level called the Shalebridge Cradle.

I'm a tiny bit hesitant because I felt like BioShock's universe didn't really need a sequel, but if anyone's going to do it, I feel like it's in good hands. I loved the original and eagerly anticipate more news.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lunker wrote: »

For reference, it is a different team (2K Marin), but the creative lead is Jordan Thomas, which is notable for two very good reasons:

1) He created Fort Frolic, which was almost inarguably the best part of BioShock.
    2) He worked on a little game called Thief: Deadly Shadows, and personally designed a little level called the Shalebridge Cradle.

I'm a tiny bit hesitant because I felt like BioShock's universe didn't really need a sequel, but if anyone's going to do it, I feel like it's in good hands. I loved the original and eagerly anticipate more news.

So basically Bioshock 2: Sea of Urine.
    Because presumably it will be so scary we will all wet our pants.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cohsae wrote: »

So basically Bioshock 2: Sea of Urine.
    Because presumably it will be so scary we will all wet our pants.

You make that sound like a bad thing!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I still need to play the first one. Was going to wait to see how the PS3 is, otherwise I might just go the PC route. This looks good though.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't know how to feel about this, Bioshock never really lent itself to the idea of a sequel in my mind, especially one that looks like a grown Little Sister returns to Rapture

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was hoping it would be a prequel set in the civil war. Kinda dissapointed it seems to be a sequal. Basically says nothing, just a confirmation. I wonder how they're going to handle the ending.
    I really wish they'd just made one good ending, instead of two awful ones. It was really unecessary
    They'll probably have it be a choice in game, like KotOR did, where someone will ask you if you'd heard about the last guy who showed up in Rapture. Allowing you to feel some continuity to the story, but not affecting the game significantly in the long run.

see317 on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I know I'm in the minority (only one?) but I really hope the tighten up the gunplay. It never felt right to me.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I know I'm in the minority (only one?) but I really hope the tighten up the gunplay. It never felt right to me.
    The guns were a bit loosey-goosey, but steampunk art deco shotgun kicked ass.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm interested to see what they do with this. Partly because I can't see how a sequel is needed or warranted after the first game. Bioshock pretty much said everything that was needed to be said about rapture so I'm wondering what direction the sequel is going to take the setting.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    falling_stonefalling_stone Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

i completely agree. The guns only felt right when you first got the pistol, and it kicked all over the place. After that though, having to pump a million rounds into a splicer got a little old.

I would like more powerful rounds and less of them please. Get that old SS2 feel to the game.
    You remember being terrified to go around the corner, no bullets to speak of, and absolutely no where to run.

falling_stone on
    This sig is too small - Elki :P
    snowfalling.jpg
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Nah you're not alone. I loved the game and I still think the core shooter mechanics were pretty average.

A sequel huh. I'm fairly disappointed, there was a lot of potential for an awesome prequel. Not to say this looks bad, I just hope they remember that it was Rapture that made the first one so awesome.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    HOLY SHIT
    HOLY SHIT
    HOLY SHIT

ALL MY DICKS... ARE DROWNING?!

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This is the correct analysis:

Plot: Fantastic until 60%, then trainwreck.
    Atmosphere: Patchy in places but generally good.
    Detail: Great.
    VA: Good.
    Art direction: Nice on scenery, terrible on characters.
    Gameplay: Average. If switching between various offensive tools had been easier it would have been more fun.

Overall: An above average game with a story/setting that rivalled Half Life until that scene at 60%. From thereon, confused, lacklustre and disappointing. Also, final boss fight was a goddamn joke.

So hopefully they'll fix what they messed up in the sequel. It deserves a second run.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Did this need a sequel?

No.

Will I be in line on day one, forking over my cash and rushing home like a giddy schoolgirl at the prospect of revisiting Rapture?

Fuckin' a YES.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I would assume it's going to be more of a sequel in the SS1 to SS2 sense, rather than BioShock 2: The Re-Rapturing. Maybe they build off the bad ending and the surface world has become an utter shithole dictatorship.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Absolutely loved the first, and am eagerly anticipating the second. The teaser trailer is a fine setup in my eyes, and I adore the dichotomy of a grown 'little sister' holding a tiny 'big daddy' doll by the hand like that.

Will it work within the story we've been given? I don't know, but I can't wait to venture back into Rapture, whenever and wherever they let us go.
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    I would assume it's going to be more of a sequel in the SS1 to SS2 sense, rather than BioShock 2: The Re-Rapturing. Maybe they build off the bad ending and the surface world has become an utter shithole dictatorship.

An interesting thought; what if we go back to Rapture not to right a wrong or finish off something left undone, but because everything else is going straight to hell, and whatever shithole THAT has become would still be better than the surface? The final days before Fallout, kind of.

That said, the grown Little Sister seems more on par with those shown in the "good ending", so I have doubts, unless she's the exception to the rule or something.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is really doesn't need a sequel.

And the number of sequels recently that thematically undermine the originals recently makes me worry...

The Matrix, Star Wars, Indiana Jones were all undermined by their sequels. I would hate to see that happen here.

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Lave II wrote: »
    Is really doesn't need a sequel.

And the number of sequels recently that thematically undermine the originals recently makes me worry...

The Matrix, Star Wars, Indiana Jones were all undermined by their sequels. I would hate to see that happen here.

Uh...

Star Wars was undermined by it's prequels.

Which is what alot of people here are asking for, a prequel.

Just wanted to point that out.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Overall: An above average game with a story/setting that rivalled Half Life until that scene at 60%. From thereon, confused, lacklustre and disappointing. Also, final boss fight was a goddamn joke.

I think there is a tendency to judge the last section of the original too harshly since the lead up was so awesome. The post Ryan plot is not a trainwreck, it all makes logical sense and is pretty interesting, the problem is one of pacing. There needed to be one level post Ryan, where you escape the control and do the whole BD thing, then a boss fight. As it was the game took those two plot points and rubbed your face in them for another few hours of crappy fetch quest gameplay. Cut some time and noone would be complaining about plot.

The last boss though... yeah that needs fixing. By far the least interactive boss fight in a game that is supposed to be about using your crazy super powers to turn the environment against your enemy.

Exarch on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Would you kindly have a little more faith? :P

But seriously, while the lead up will likely require that one ending or the other is 'true' for that universe, it'd be interesting if they left the option open to have your chosen ending influence gameplay somehow.

Also, while I agree that a cash grab sequel (or merely a misguided one) is often detrimental, the love of SS2 after SS1 leads me to believe that a sequel (mechanically and gameplay wise, at least) could be done right by this company.

Furthermore, there is some sequel room. All of the endings lead to you making it to the surface with an entourage of Little Sisters, cleansed or otherwise. The good ending (and this teaser) indicate that you live to at least a somewhat old age and die. It's fairly natural for people to want to know more about their past, so it's not impossible that one of the girls decides to go back and see what's left, what they lost and what's been found in the (presumably decades) since? Or perhaps genetic tampering has some rather lasting negative effects, and they seek to rectify that? I'm sure there are dozens of hooks they could use that wouldn't have to feel contrived.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Uh, spoilers, people? PS3 people are just getting the game this week.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    I'm sure there are dozens of hooks they could use that wouldn't have to feel contrived.

I totally agree, in fact I do kinda like the idea of a LS growing up and rediscovering her past. I don't feel like this is a moneygrab at all, its a new game in a series everyone loved. I'm not complaining.

Exarch on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I think maybe it'd just be smarter for you to avoid a thread talking about the making of a sequel to a game you haven't even played yet.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Then what are they doing in a thread about the sequel?

Forar on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man I would love a prequel were you're just Joe Citizen coming to Rapture right after it opens.

At first life would be great, and the game world would be open in a GTA type way (except you have to pay for everything, since this is Rapture and all). Then you get to watch that world collapse around you.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Pedant. You get my point. :P

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I think maybe it'd just be smarter for you to avoid a thread talking about the making of a sequel to a game you haven't even played yet.

It just seems like a common courtesy that'd be nice, especially since the teaser trailer is being mentioned as an extra in the PS3 version, the trailer itself doesn't really spoil anything and it's at the top of the most recent page.

Lunker on
  • Options
    killamajigkillamajig Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It drives me a little nuts that I will forever associate this game with Mad Men.

And anyone how says this doesn't need a sequel, apparently doesn't enjoy awesome.

As long your not some generic spec op guy going in to clean up the mess.

killamajig on
    "Oh cruel fate...to be thusly boned...ask not for who the bone bones...it bones for thee."
    Killamajig and Scullykel999 on MTGO
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Those who say this doesn't need a sequel should look up who is the lead designer on the sequel and be monumentally agape at how wrong they previously were.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    60%? Did you finish the game in 5 hours total or something? o_O

Glal on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I enjoyed the story and the atmosphere of the game. The gameplay was okay but got boring quickly.
    My first time through I went with a wrench-heavy spec and it seemed easy. Buh?

I hope they revamp the combat/character progression/minigame thing so I can really say that Bioshock 2 is worth the purchase.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Spoilers huh. I think in a thread about the sequel to a game that came out over a year ago spoilers really shouldn't be a concern. If you cared enough about general spoilers to avoid them for 14 months while waiting for a PS3 version, then you'll be smart enough to stay away from sequel threads.

Exarch on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    60%? Did you finish the game in 5 hours total or something? o_O
    I went absolutely everywhere I could go and some places I couldn't (fuck you trying to lock me out because I killed a guy earlier. I'm not psychic but I can noclip). I savour games.

Which actually is probably why it's 60% for me. Game opens up, geographically speaking, a great deal after that bit. Lots to explore.

Assuming your argument is that the scene is later than 60% through the game, and not that percentage is somehow related to total time spent =P

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

It just seems like a common courtesy that'd be nice, especially since the teaser trailer is being mentioned as an extra in the PS3 version, the trailer itself doesn't really spoil anything and it's at the top of the most recent page.

And it would seem common sense to avoid a thread speculating about a sequel to a game you haven't played.

The games been out over a year now.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.