As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Freeware Scanning Softwares?

the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
My mom is having problems with the HP software for scanning. I tried reinstalling it, and no dice. So, is there any decent photo scanner software that is free? Can windows XP do this by itself?

Thanks!

tKfL2Yd.png?1
the cheat on

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    the cheat wrote: »
    My mom is having problems with the HP software for scanning. I tried reinstalling it, and no dice. So, is there any decent photo scanner software that is free? Can windows XP do this by itself?

Thanks!

XP by default should include the "Photo and Scanner Wizard." Look in the "Add or Remove Programs/Components" part of the Control Panel if it's not installed. It should be able to handle most of what you'd need to do.

I think it usually lives in Accessories. Otherwise I think it's a context option in any folder designated for pictures. Also, usually your scanner should show up under "My Computer" and you should be able to right-click there and get it as well.

Now, to use that you will still need to have the driver installed. So if that's the issue, you're kinda fucked until you get it figured out. But once you have the driver installed, there's no need to use HP's software.

mcdermott on
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A lot of image software (photoshop, PSP, probably GIMP, Ifranview, etc.) have an option to get shit from a scanner. Also, there's Xsane (http://www.xsane.org), which is what I use when I'm in linux... though a quick scan (heh heh) of their site shows they also have a win32 binary. In my admittedly very amateur opinion, Xsane kicks a bit of ass. Not super user-friendly, though.

....though yeah, if you don't have the right drivers, you're fucked and need to get 'em. Though from the sounds of it, it's just a software thing, so there are plenty of options.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Seeks wrote: »
    A lot of image software (photoshop, PSP, probably GIMP, Ifranview, etc.) have an option to get shit from a scanner. Also, there's Xsane (http://www.xsane.org), which is what I use when I'm in linux... though a quick scan (heh heh) of their site shows they also have a win32 binary. In my admittedly very amateur opinion, Xsane kicks a bit of ass. Not super user-friendly, though.

....though yeah, if you don't have the right drivers, you're fucked and need to get 'em. Though from the sounds of it, it's just a software thing, so there are plenty of options.

Yeah, my knowledge of scanners is a bit iffy, but his driver should include standard TWAIN (is that right?) access, which pretty much any program can use.

mcdermott on
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yup, it's TWAIN that most programs use. Xsane probably uses it too, but just doesn't say it (it's been like, six months since I've used it, so my memory's fuzzy), since it's a program meant solely for use with scanners.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png