As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Movie year 2008: What was good?

elkataselkatas Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'm big movie fan, but I mainly buy my movies from bargain bins, because local movie theatres are little too expensive (ticket costs around 12 dollars). As year 2008 is coming to end, many of seasons titles can be already found from the bargain bins. Unfortunately, I don't know this years releases that well. I do know Oscar winners, and I saw the Dark Knight, but outside these, I'm pretty much drawing blank. Could you people give me recap of this years important films, and recommend stuff? I like all kinds of movies from drama to slapstick, so basically anything goes (except teenager movies!).

Hypnotically inclined.
elkatas on

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hamlet 2 was probably a movie that was overlooked by many, but which I loved.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Just saw Burn After Reading. That was pretty good.

Bogart on
  • Options
    L*2*G*XL*2*G*X Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The batman needs a fancut, get rid of lau and the hongkong sidestory and it'll be a keeper.
    Not sure I even remember anything else...

L*2*G*X on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008
    Burn After Reading was great. Iron Man was fantastic. I liked Indy 4.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I wasn't fussed about the fridge thing or the aliens, but the script in Indy 4 was just bleh. But yeah, Iron Man was pretty great. And I have high hopes for the new Bond.

EDIT: In Bruges was great. And Wall-E was apparently good.

Bogart on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wow, looking over a list of 2008 movies...this was kind of a crappy year.

For releases early in the year, I have to recommend Charlie Bartlett, along with Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day and In Bruges.

Oh, and what was the one....

I forget what it was called....

Oh, that's right, motherfucking Iron Man!

Which I assume you probably already saw. But still, if you haven't.

EDIT: And yes, Burn after Reading was fantastic. Indy 4 was...Indy 4. I recommend it, but just don't go in expecting a sexplosion.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My top 3 (outside of Dark Knight) would be:

Iron Man
    Burn After Reading
    Tropic Thunder

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    And Hellboy II. The scene with 'Can't Live Without You' may be my favourite of the year.

Oh, and the Italian film Gomorrah is well worth a watch. It's about as bleak as anything you've ever seen (like, 'Come and See' bleak), but great.

Edited to correct the title.

Bogart on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Iron man
    wall-e
    cloverfield (shaky camera but good)
    kung fu panda

I was disappointed with prince caspian and hancock but they aren't terrible. There are some other movies I think are good but haven't managed to see yet myself so I'm not going to recommend them.

Dman on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Hulk do-over was pretty good.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A note: my post, aside from Iron Man (which I felt worthy of separate mention) was assuming he's heard of all the major blockbusters. I was also limiting it to movies likely to have made or be making their way to the bargain bin (or at least the bargain shelf) already.

EDIT: And I forgot what I was posting to say, which is that the new Hulk rocked my socks.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    A note: my post, aside from Iron Man (which I felt worthy of separate mention) was assuming he's heard of all the major blockbusters.

Yeah. You practically can't miss any of the blockbusters due advertising. But thanks everyone who has answered. I really can't wait get my hands on Wall-E, but it will take some time because DVD is out on 15th of December, and retal price is pretty steep (25 euros or so). :)
    Bogart wrote: »
    Oh, and the Italian film Cammora is well worth a watch. It's about as bleak as anything you've ever seen (like, 'Come and See' bleak), but great.

Does this have other names because I can't find it from IMDB?

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Speed Racer, The Dark Knight, Iron Man, and Cloverfield were all awesome. Iron Man is probably my least favorite of the four, and Iron Man was pretty goddamn good.

WALL-E underwhelmed me, but I blame that on excessive expectations. Kung-Fu Panda was pretty damn sweet. In Bruges was pretty good.

My ability to see movies is warped, I should note. I'm limited to the rare things that are shown in Chinese theater, crappy bootlegs, or high-quality bootlegs that are released a week or two before or after the DVD is actually released.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    elkatas wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    A note: my post, aside from Iron Man (which I felt worthy of separate mention) was assuming he's heard of all the major blockbusters.

Yeah. You practically can't miss any of the blockbusters due advertising. But thanks everyone who has answered. I really can't wait get my hands on Wall-E, but it will take some time because DVD is out on 15th of December, and retal price is pretty steep (25 euros or so). :)
    Oh, and the Italian film Cammora is well worth a watch. It's about as bleak as anything you've ever seen (like, 'Come and See' bleak), but great.

Does this have other names because I can't find it from IMDB?

I am incredibly stupid and posted the subject of the film and not the title - it's called Gomorrah.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    My ability to see movies is warped, I should note. I'm limited to the rare things that are shown in Chinese theater, crappy bootlegs, or high-quality bootlegs that are released a week or two before or after the DVD is actually released.

How much tickets cost there?

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I am incredibly stupid and posted the subject of the film and not the title - it's called Gomorrah.

Oh yes. I know this one. The guy who wrote the book on which movie is based is currently on Mafia's deathlist. Shame.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kung Fu Panda was probably one of the best films I've seen this year, right up there with Iron Man and definitely above Wall-E in its respective genre.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008
    Dman wrote: »
    wall-e

I agree with these.

edit: And Speed Racer was a great movie if you're of a certain mindset. They perfectly nailed what they were going for, which was campy psychedelic fun. And the lack of focus blur throughout the movie was pretty awesome.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, I can tell you what movie was not good. Max Payne, Max Payne was not good, esp. if you liked the games. Also, Quarantine was probably one of the best scary movies I've seen in a while.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Iron man
    wall-e
    kung fu panda

I was disappointed with prince caspian and hancock but they aren't terrible. There are some other movies I think are good but haven't managed to see yet myself so I'm not going to recommend them.

21?? Oh yeah, the movie about the MIT student who can't find the time to apply for a college loan but must depend solely on a 1-in-a-million free ride scholarship. That bugged me to no end.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Iron Man
    Dark Knight
    Cloverfield
    Wall-E
    In Bruges

didn't see the new Hulk or Burn After Reading, though I would like to see both.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Aren't we still waiting for a batch of Oscar-chasing flicks?

Doubt
    Milk
    Changeling
    Gran Torino

Off the top of my head.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Speed Racer, The Dark Knight, Iron Man, and Cloverfield were all awesome. Iron Man is probably my least favorite of the four, and Iron Man was pretty goddamn good.

WALL-E underwhelmed me, but I blame that on excessive expectations. Kung-Fu Panda was pretty damn sweet. In Bruges was pretty good.

i cant believe i read up to here without seeing dark knight.

i mean people were raging about it for months and then its as if they completely forgot it.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I heard Quarantine was really brutal, and people in the theatre threw up.

I'm not sure if that was just sensationalizing or rumour-milling

edit: ooohhhh shit, Quarantine is a remake of [REC]?

Fuck dudes, my friends saw REC. Don't even bother with Quarantine, watch the original. My former roommate is basically a human golem, completely immovable and immune to fear, and he nearly broke his chair with fright watching that fucking movie.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    2008 Movies I thought were awesome:
    Wall-E
    The Dark Knight
    Iron Man
    The Visitor
    Kung Fu Panda
    Hellboy II
    Mongol
    Forgetting Sarah Marshall
    Ghost Town
    Tropic Thunder
    Teeth
    Burn After Reading
    The Bank Job
    Ms Pettigrew Lives for a Day
    Cloverfield
    The Incredible Hulk
    Speed Racer
    Persepolis
    Redbelt

I'm sure there were others, they just aren't coming to mind right now.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    edit: And Speed Racer was a great movie if you're on mushrooms. They perfectly nailed what they were going for, which was campy psychedelic fun. And the lack of focus blur throughout the movie was pretty awesome.

Fixed that for ya. :P

Anyways, there's still plenty of good-looking movies on the horizon so it's hard to tell:

Zach and Miri
    Milk
    Benjamin Button
    Fanboys
    James Bond
    Synecdoche, New York
    I'm sure I'm forgetting something

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

i cant believe i read up to here without seeing dark knight.

Maybe you should've tried reading the OP.

Wife and I didn't get out to the theater much, for a mix of economic and critical reasons, but this is what we did catch:

Wall-E
    Iron Man
    Kung-Fu Panda
    Speed Racer (saw on DVD)
    Narnia: Prince Caspian (not terrible, but not as good as LW&W)
    Get Smart (wasn't a fan of the show, so nothing was ruined for me; good semi-mindless comedy)
    Hancock (the swerve didn't affect me too much, but it was still like two different movies stapled together)
    Hellboy 2 ("Can't Live Without You" is the second best scene of the year...)
    and of course TDK (Pencil Trick is #1)

We haven't been to the theater since TDK for various reasons, although that will change with the new Bond movie hits in a couple of weeks. I would have liked to have caught Ghost Town, but that didn't happen.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Iron man
    wall-e
    kung fu panda

21?? Oh yeah, the movie about the MIT student who can't find the time to apply for a college loan but must depend solely on a 1-in-a-million free ride scholarship. That bugged me to no end.

What, the out and out whitewashing of the cast wasn't a problem for you?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Iron man
    wall-e
    kung fu panda

The book is much better. Oh wait, welcome to any movie made from a good book.

Let's see..

Dark Knight - awesome
    Indiana Jones - I was expecting total crap but it was not
    I can't really think of the independent movies I've seen this year.

There is hope however - Oscar contenders come out over the next two months.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Iron man
    wall-e
    kung fu panda

ok ok I give in, there were some problems with 21 and it should not be up there compared to the other movies I shortlisted. I saw it, I thought it was fun, that is all.

Dman on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dac wrote: »
    Kung Fu Panda was probably one of the best films I've seen this year, right up there with Iron Man and definitely above Wall-E in its respective genre.

Martial Arts and Science Fiction? They aren't anywhere near the same genre![/Brad Bird] :p

Kung Fu Panda was surprisingly awesome, given Dreamworks' reputation for stuff like Shrek 3, but I still have a soft spot for WALL-E. Also Indiana Jones, Iron Man, Death Race, Hancock, In Bruges, Mamma Mia!, Horton Hears a Who and Rambo.

I know the movie industry was touting 2007 as a big year of movies, but I've found 2008 to be generally better in quality. Nowhere near as many "threequels", anyway.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    edit: And Speed Racer was a great movie if you're on mushrooms. They perfectly nailed what they were going for, which was campy psychedelic fun. And the lack of focus blur throughout the movie was pretty awesome.

Fixed that for ya. :P

Anyways, there's still plenty of good-looking movies on the horizon so it's hard to tell:

Zach and Miri
    Milk
    Benjamin Button
    Fanboys
    James Bond
    Synecdoche, New York
    I'm sure I'm forgetting something

i gotta say zach and miri looked about as awesome as knocked up.... which means that in the end its actually gonna suck.... a lot....

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    i gotta say zach and miri looked about as awesome as knocked up.... which means that in the end its actually gonna suck.... a lot....

Also a Kevin Smith movie, meaning it will start off well, lose focus a third of the way through, meander through the next half and then wrap up decently.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Robert Downey JR.

and comic books.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Iron man
    wall-e
    kung fu panda

ok ok I give in, there were some problems with 21 and it should not be up there compared to the other movies I shortlisted. I saw it, I thought it was fun, that is all.

21 wins for Amon Tobin in the soundtrack. But everthing else reminded me of Fast and the Furious. I prefer it when criminals go to jail and die and never get away with anything, ever. I wanted the main guy to die in the gutter.

*WOOSH* I'm gambling, i'm so awesome *MOTION BLUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRR*

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Speed Racer is the best movie of the year.

tofu on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Forgetting Sarah Marshall. For shame D&D. Best comedy of the year, and possibly one of the best in a long time.

Crayon on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hellboy 2

Cloverfield

Dark Knight

Iron Man

Those are my four. Can't think of any others that I will watch again.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Crayon wrote: »
    Forgetting Sarah Marshall. For shame D&D. Best comedy of the year, and possibly one of the best in a long time.

No love for Tropic Thunder?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Wall-E was the best movie this year, hands down. If you disagree, you're wrong.

Wonder_Hippie on