As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Air compressors

AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I was considering getting some more canned compressed air, when I thought that it might be nice to have an air compressor instead. I'd like to use it to blow the dust off of things, inflate tires and stuff, and paint my house. I don't mind getting the sprayers and whatnot at someplace like Harbor Freight, but I don't want the compressor itself to be absolute shit. Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't want it to be huge, like maybe just 2 or 3 gallons. I also don't want to have it be tankless, as I'd like to fill it up somewhere where I don't have to listen to it and then bring it in to clean stuff off.

Can I get one like I want for $100 or less? I'm sure I can get one that can fill up tires and blow air at dirt, it's the painting that I'm wondering about. I don't want to get one and then burn it out.

Also, I realize that there is a risk to blowing normal air at stuff, particularly electronics. I'm willing to accept that.

I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
AtomBomb on

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The problem with air compressors is that it sucks waiting 30 god damn minutes for it to fill up, so you can spend 2 minutes using it. Unless you're constantly using compress air throughout the day, there's really no point in having one. IMO if you need to air up a car tire, get one of those 12v DC electric air pump. If you want compress air to blow stuff off, get a large tank of compress air that you can get refill.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't think an air compressor of that size would be sufficient for painting, perhaps only a brad/staple gun. You'd have to check the requirements of the spray gun, but you're likely to need a considerably larger volume unit. I suppose if it has a powerful motor a smaller capacity unit might work if constantly running but I'm not sure if any are built like that, and they're loud as fuck. Something like painting I'd think you'd want a deent amount of time at the pressure needed to drive the gun.

I have one that's 1.5-2 Gallon Husky and I have to run it to capacity (100 PSI) twice to refill a tire to 30 PSI (17" passenger car tire).

Djeet on
  • Options
    fatmousefatmouse Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    you are going to need a big compressor and a big tank to paint with.

fatmouse on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If you're going to paint, you're better off renting the compressor. How often are you going to paint your house? If you just gotta buy something, you'll need to use a large compressor with a large tank for it to be anything but an exercise in extreme patience. You'll also need to have/rent a truck/mid-to-large SUV to get it to your place. A good compressor for painting isn't going to fit in a Civic and will be on the heavy side.

GungHo on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh well. Thanks everyone for letting me know before I spent the money. I think I'll just end up painting the old fashioned way.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    NewtonNewton Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You don't use an air compressor like that to paint your house anyways. The sprayers that house painters use are a completely different tool. You can paint cars with an air compressor, but even to do something like that, you need one that is around 30 gallons or more.

Newton on