As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3 720p Issue (Old TV)

ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I've had my PS3 since June and am finally getting around to asking for help with this obnoxious issue. I have an older model RCA Scenium DLP 50". I believe this is the one I have but I'm not 100% and am not looking it up right now but will if someone thinks it will help:

http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/review/1780/rca-hdlp50w151-review

This thing SHOULD be standard HD, 480p 720p 1080i. I've used it all of these resolutions through digital cable; I KNOW they work. However, the PS3 has never worked with it in 720p. I just get a no-signal screen. I took the PS3 downstairs to a newer tv and it works fine. I'm hooked in through component because unfortunately this TV is old enough to date back to before DVI had lost the battle for HD interface supremacy. This sucks because MOST retail PS3 games are 720p and get downconverted for me.

tl;dr, Does anyone have any ideas why my TV might not accept a 720p signal over component from my PS3?

subedii wrote: »
I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
Scrublet on

• illigillig Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    the PS3 is glitchy... i'm having issues with it with my Westinghouse LCD (lots of issues between the two according to the interwebs)

if your TV has a DVI input, you can get an HDMI->DVI converter cable, and try using it that way... this disables HDCP, so it won't output in 1080p (highest will be 1080i), but that shouldn't be an issue for you

illig on
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Actually, believe it or not, HDMI->DVI converters don't work. Don't ask me why; I have no idea. I tried two different cables from monoprice.com and neither one would do it. For some reason my TV just won't accept it.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet