Options

Riddle Me This!

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    i'm not doing the pirate one since i know the answer to it

it's one of the basic games in game theory and it has one clear maximum solution

so that's not really fair

appreciate it, po-po :)

just let us know if you see the right answer come up to confirm it

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    redhead wrote: »
    pony's is way more confusingly notated so I'm not going to check it, but I think marsh and anyone else who legitly solved this is fucking rad as hell

f u it is easier to read

i used letters and spoilered flowcharts and everything

i hate you guys

i mean marsh obviously solved it first but

:(

Oh come one, we are all winners here. How many pages of notes did you use? It took me like three starting off from a weighing of 5 vs. 5 and moving from there.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Viv, Randall solved part 2 of the Hotel one

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=7698476&postcount=183

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    redhead wrote: »
    pony's is way more confusingly notated so I'm not going to check it, but I think marsh and anyone else who legitly solved this is fucking rad as hell

f u it is easier to read

i used letters and spoilered flowcharts and everything

i hate you guys

i mean marsh obviously solved it first but

:(

Oh come one, we are all winners here. How many pages of notes did you use? It took me like three starting off from a weighing of 5 vs. 5 and moving from there.

i used notepad and ms paint, so, i don't know?

i started over a bunch of times though.

Pony on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Ties That Bind

I may have this totally wrong. Somebody check my logic.
    If you light a string at both ends it should take half an hour to burn through.

Light one string at both ends, and the other at a single end.

When the first string is finished, then the second string should be half burnt. Light up the other side and it will complete its burn in 15 minutes.

That adds up to 45 mins.

if it's half burnt, that means it's already 30 minutes through its burn, so however long it takes to burn the rest is 30/2 = 15 minutes so yeah that looks like the answer

It isn't. Remember how it was noted that the first 99% of the rope can take 1min to burn and the other 1% to take 59min?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Also viv, cite your sources.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    she did you toolbox.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    she did you toolbox.

Shut up I'm drunk.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ties That Bind

When the first string is finished, then the second string should be half burnt. Light up the other side and it will complete its burn in 15 minutes.

That adds up to 45 mins.

if it's half burnt, that means it's already 30 minutes through its burn, so however long it takes to burn the rest is 30/2 = 15 minutes so yeah that looks like the answer

It isn't. Remember how it was noted that the first 99% of the rope can take 1min to burn and the other 1% to take 59min?
    Doesn't matter.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Reading the opening post is a lot of effort Pony.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ties That Bind

That adds up to 45 mins.

Incorrect. The only thing that prevents you from doing is cutting the ropes at any point in their length. It does not change the amount of time measured by the burning.

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I got onto my answer pretty quick. about 3 false starts.

OF course,

1) I am slightly drunk
    2) I haven't posted my solution
    ergo, there's no guarantee mine is correct.

Looking at it, I think there's some key differences in each of ours when we get to the 3vs3 weighing. marsh did HHL v HHL, Pony did HHL v HLN, I did HHL v LLH

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ties That Bind

That adds up to 45 mins.

Oh wow, that is really clever.

Blake T on
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ties That Bind

That adds up to 45 mins.

I don't think that matters, because wherever it's "Middle" is doesn't matter. They could both burn into each other in the last 1% of one side but it would still take half an hour.

Right? Or am I confused?

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fishman wrote: »

OF course,

1) I am slightly drunk

Looking at it, I think there's some key differences in each of ours when we get to the 3vs3 weighing. marsh did HHL v HHL, Pony did HHL v HLN, I did HHL v LLH

I don't know about HHL vs HLN, but I'm pretty sure HHL vs. LLH can't work. That was Marsh's first try, and while he came up with the correct solution (HHL) I was busy trying everything I possibly could from LLH. I came very, very close, but I couldn't solve from there. You should double-check yours just in case. I could be wrong, of course, so posting it would let everyone check.

redhead on
  • Options
    iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I know the answer to Dru's Wheel of Misfortune but only because I heard it a while ago, and I'd come up with the wrong answer every way I went about it (I knew the wrong answer) until finally it just clicked.

I won't explain it on here though. Unless someone really begs and sends me some gift cards to neat places.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I would also be really surprised now if there were two correct solutions. Has anyone checked Pony's? Is it really HHL vs. HLN (Pony could answer this better than anyone I guess) and if so, does it really work?

redhead on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Fishman wrote: »

OF course,

1) I am slightly drunk

The problem I found with HHL v LLH is that if the left side is lower, it could be either the HH or the LL that caused that with only one weigh to figure out which.

EDIT: Pony's HHL vs. HLN should definitely work because, if even, you are left with HLL, and can test the two L against each other, if uneven, you have either HHL or LH and can go from there easily enough.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    i put every possibility in there

if i missed an outcome somehow, let me know

i am pretty sure my answer is the right one.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It's a shame I cannot find my old Perplex City game cards. Fuck was that game a monster of a puzzle head ache but it was fuuuun. Best ARG/Pyramid scheme evar.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    trentsteel wrote: »
    Ties That Bind

That adds up to 45 mins.

I don't think that matters, because wherever it's "Middle" is doesn't matter. They could both burn into each other in the last 1% of one side but it would still take half an hour.

Right? Or am I confused?

My logic exactly. I'm pretty sure it's right!

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh happymod, perfect timing, I need your avatar for something.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Let me check my notes. I used numeric notation, so I'm having trouble following the conversions

Fishman on
  • Options
    HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The eye color problem:
    If only one person on the island had blue eyes, he would leave the first night.

If exactly two people on the island had blue eyes, then on the first night, they could each think, "the guru might be talking about the one blue-eyed person I see", so neither would leave the first night. But after neither leaves the first night, they would each know that there must be at least two blue-eyed people on the island. So both blue-eyed people would leave the second night.

If exactly three people on the island had blue eyes, nobody would leave after two nights, and from this the blue-eyed people would know that there must be at least three blue-eyed people on the island. So all three blue-eyed people would leave the third night.

Etc.

With 100 blue-eyed people on the island, all 100 blue-eyed people leave on the 100th night.

Hirocon on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wait are you guys doing the pool ball one? Because it's says there is only possibly ONE ball that is lighter or heavier.

How come you guys have LLH vs. HHL? Wouldn't that imply there are more than one of the different weight?

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited November 2008
    i put every possibility in there

if i missed an outcome somehow, let me know

i am pretty sure my answer is the right one.

Yours definitely works, the difference between yours and mine is in that one section I end up with one of two sets of HHL to test, and you end up with one HHL, and one HL.

EDIT: t Trentsteel the "H"s and "L"s denote Possible light or heavy balls.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    er, ok but what about the normal balls?

Just tell me I am like a child that wanders into the middle of a conversation if I'm way out of whack here.

trentsteel on

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Okay, so Three Dots...isn't it like, stated right there in the problem itself? Or am I missing something

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    trentsteel wrote: »
    Wait are you guys doing the pool ball one? Because it's says there is only possibly ONE ball that is lighter or heavier.

How come you guys have LLH vs. HHL? Wouldn't that imply there are more than one of the different weight?

They get labeled L or H depending on if they are on the side of the scale that slides up (light) or the scale that slides down (heavy)

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    the key to my solution is elimination

you're only testing the balls you need to test at a given time, removing everything else from the equation and coming to a logical conclusion based on process of elimination

Pony on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The normal balls are those that are for sure normal weight,

because there can only be 1 ball that is a different weight, if two or more balls weigh the same they are confirmed to not be the odd one out.

EDIT: what pony said, you have possible variation balls that you systematically prove to be normal until you are left with either all normal or one odd one out.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Okay, so Three Dots...isn't it like, stated right there in the problem itself? Or am I missing something
    Well you aren't supposed to know for sure. How do you figure out that all of them are green?

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    i am actually very thankful for this thread

since the stroke i've been paranoid about brain damage and my cognitive abilities and stuff

so flexing the ole brain muscle is pretty sweet

Pony on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Okay here's a fun one. Sorry for messy doodle but make it so that each dot connects with it's matching dot WITHOUT crossing the streams. Er I mean the lines. You cannot go outside of the red box nor along it or anything. Basically each color can only touch it's own color and the white background.

Illustrate your answer.
    lineslines1wfasdf.jpg

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Okay here's a fun one. Sorry for messy doodle but make it so that each dot connects with it's matching dot WITHOUT crossing the streams. Er I mean the lines. You cannot go outside of the red box nor along it or anything. Basically each color can only touch it's own color and the white background.

Illustrate your answer.
    lineslines1wfasdf.jpg

fuck you BoP, I tried hard to doodle this abomination.

Also Pony, have you played Professor Layton for the DS?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Illustrate your answer.

Are we allowed to draw in 3d?

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    My bad. I got switched around somewhere, but I'm using HHL vs HHL, same as Marsh.

Fishman on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    What's the answer for the black and white hats one?

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited November 2008

Illustrate your answer.

Are we allowed to draw in 3d?

No.

Also, cool freebie puzzles.
    http://www.welovepuzzles.com/

My favorite is a real fucking kick in the teeth sometimes.
    http://www.welovepuzzles.com/channel/flash/play/5/

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Illustrate your answer.
    lineslines1wfasdf.jpg

fuck you BoP, I tried hard to doodle this abomination.

Also Pony, have you played Professor Layton for the DS?
    Easy, give me a few to draw it.

SirToasty on
This discussion has been closed.