As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

"Gaming Chairs" - Yay or nay?

LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
The missus has been asking if I want an Audio-X Rocker "gaming chair" for Christmas.

I'd never seen or heard of these things before I came to the US, and have no idea what to make of it.

Has anyone used one of these? Are they good stuff? Does it enhance games, or is it just something better than sitting on your sofa with the built-in speakers of your TV?

I'm not sure what else I would want for Christmas, so it seems like a good idea, but if anyone has any experience with something like this, I'd love to hear it.

Lewisham on

• ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Looks comfortable, at least

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    They look hard to get up from.

tardcore on
  • Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    99.99 won't buy you a good chair, or good speakers. So I'm going to guess this gaming chair isn't that great.

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
  • bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Try before you buy. Those types of chairs fuck up my back after about an hour of playing. They should have similar ones at best buy you can try to see if you like the design.

That audio-x rocker does look like one of the nicer gaming chairs I have seen. Most of them are plastic pieces of crap.

bamjo on
  • frank as fuckfrank as fuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd pass on the one you linked, but in general, "floor rocker" chairs are pretty great if you want to sit closer than your couch allows. I want one bad, because my couch is just too far away from my TV for my liking.

frank as fuck on
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd rather have a good beanbag and some good headphones. A beanbag for one shouldn't cost more than 120$ if you look around.

dispatch.o on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Does it look like something you would want to keep with you in your house?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • KaOsKaOs Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    One of the lounges are college bought 10 of these to go with the entertainment section and I have to say they were really really nice. No back pain, tilts way far back while still maintaining balance, and overall well designed.

KaOs on
    Arrath:The best way to describe it is like playing Rock-Paper-Scissors with somebody. Only you have to go first. And then the other player gets to make their move based on what you did.
  • minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh, the car seat things.

Yeah, sound actually travels through that well, if they combined that and Phillips AmBx I would explode.

In joy.

minigunwielder on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Does it look like something you would want to keep with you in your house?

I don't mind, my office is full of crap anyway :)

If anyone has any other ideas for gaming gifts between $50-100, I'd love to hear them :) Perhaps I'll change this thread into a Christmas gift thread...

Lewisham on
  • frank as fuckfrank as fuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    The AK Rocker is the best out of any of them, imo. I'd go for one of those, and they can be had for under $100 on Amazon with free shipping.

frank as fuck on
  • WootloopsWootloops Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's about double what you want to pay, but Sumo Sacs are pretty damn comfortable for gaming or just a nap.

With that said, Im not a big fan of the gamer rocker chairs. My back tends to hurt after about an hour on those things and the sound boost is easily negated by a good pair of headphones. I say find an affordable bean bag type chair.

Wootloops on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i don't know about the actual chair in question but let me tell you...

i love those chairs that rock back and forth on the ground like that.

but yes, if you want something comfy to game in love sac or sumo sacs are great, also i forget what they are called... but the chairs that are huge and have like 1 circular pillow and you sit inside it, those things are awesome as well

edit: i found the name they are called papasan chairs, i love them. my roomate has one made out of wood and it is sooooo comfy

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've used one of these. The chair part is fine, the speakers are useless.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Went to a used office supply warehouse in long beach.
    Bought a used leap chair for 200 bones, usually worth 400+

Sit in it for computing, writing, consoles, movies, everything. Most damned comfortable computer chair I have sat in my life.

I had an earlier version of those audio rockers, and while they can be comfortable to sit in, some people hate them. As a tall guy, I can't really get my legs in a good position while sitting on the floor. And I have a big friend (6' 5", 250 lbs) who can't even sit in the damned thing.
    The sound on mine was crap, athough, like I said, it was a really early model, years back.

edit: woah the version you linked looks classy actually. Nice and wide too.

Smashism on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That chair is nice if you usually sit on the floor while playing games. If you sit on the couch it would be hard to get used to because it's very low to the ground vs. a regular chair.

I have both a Sumo beanbag and a Papasan and I LOVE them both. The beanbag is great for whatever position you may feel like sitting in (position like the chair you are looking at, lying down, lying back, sitting normally, or on a big pad like a papasan) and the Papasan is just plain comfortable for curling up in and playing a relaxing game or watching a movie. Papasans take a LOT of room though (mine takes the room of a good swivel recliner), where the Sumo is nice because I can flatten it out (it's a big square vs. the old style circular ones) and stuff it behind the couch to put it away.

Sumo
    midnight_blue.jpg

Papasan
    single_papasan.jpg

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I won a pair of AK Ratchet(now discontinued) gaming chairs a few years ago and to be honest, I don't ever use them even though I have a shitty gaming arrangement in my room. I usually sit either on the bare floor/pillow/bed before I use the chairs.
    Smashism wrote: »
    Went to a used office supply warehouse in long beach.
    Bought a used leap chair for 200 bones, usually worth 400+

Sit in it for computing, writing, consoles, movies, everything. Most damned comfortable computer chair I have sat in my life.

Fuck. Yes. The office I used to work in had leap chairs and they are in fact the most comfy office chairs ever.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nay, sir. A thousand times, nay.

Gaming doesn't require its own customized furniture, sound systems, "grub," or other marketing-ploy paraphenalia. It's not a goddamned habit, it's a hobby. I don't want things in my apartment that I have to put away when I have company or shove in a closet before a date comes over.

A nice, cozy sofa or some bean bags for the win.

Tiemler on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Tiemler wrote: »
    Nay, sir. A thousand times, nay.

Gaming doesn't require its own customized furniture, sound systems, "grub," or other marketing-ploy paraphenalia. It's not a goddamned habit, it's a hobby. I don't want things in my apartment that I have to put away when I have company or shove in a closet before a date comes over.

A nice, cozy sofa or some bean bags for the win.

What he said.

In today's economy you want to consider this chair, it's much more practical, has multiple uses and is very cheap, some times free.
    istockphoto_1468821_red_milk_crate_to_sit_on.jpg

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I will second papasans (I didn't know that's what they were actually called) for cosyness. But yeah they do take up a tonne of space.

What's a leap chair?

marty_0001 on
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
    edited November 2008
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    I will second papasans (I didn't know that's what they were actually called) for cosyness. But yeah they do take up a tonne of space.

What's a leap chair?

I had to look them up too. Just seems like a specialty ergonomic office chair.

I thought it was perhaps that chair where you sit forward on your knees.

Kneeling_chair_A.jpg

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just get a new couch, fer crissakes

I can guarantee it will be more comfy than some lame ass X-Treem Gamer Chair

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That looks more like some perverted sex apparatus than an office chair.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited November 2008
    TheStig wrote: »

My dad had one in his office for years, it was ok but unless you sat in it constantly it would wear you out because your body just wasn't used to having to sit up straight. I'm sure if you sat in it constantly it would be pretty nice.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »

The interest stems from the subwoofer in the chair, which could make shooty games more shooty.

It is not that I need a chair, I have a couch to sit on.

I think I'll switch this thread over to Christmas present suggestions in my budget instead tomorrow, it seems the consensus is a big no.

Lewisham on
  • marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah people seem to say those knee-sit chairs are nice. I wanted to try one out a while back when I was shopping for a new chair but being branded "ergonomic" they seem to automatically be hells of expensive.

I know a couple of office workers who sit on those big exercise balls. They say they're good for your back but having tried them I thought they were fairly awkward.

marty_0001 on
    edited November 2008
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    Yeah people seem to say those knee-sit chairs are nice. I wanted to try one out a while back when I was shopping for a new chair but being branded "ergonomic" they seem to automatically be hells of expensive.

I know a couple of office workers who sit on those big exercise balls. They say they're good for your back but having tried them I thought they were fairly awkward.

watch?v=y5jcWt0vH-M

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »

The interest stems from the subwoofer in the chair, which could make shooty games more shooty.

I think I'll switch this thread over to Christmas present suggestions in my budget instead tomorrow, it seems the consensus is a big no.

Its probably better to go with a buttkicker setup if you want speakers in your chair. I have yet to get one myself but, I've experienced the pleasures of it. It is something to behold.

Viscountalpha on
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    McCly wrote: »

I have one of those and it is very comfy. It can fit my entire body when I curl up on it.

Shabooty on
  • Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just stick with a normal chair and clamp one of these on. Costs less and you can keep using the good speakers.

a92f808a8da05d67be987110.L.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Buttkicker-BK-GR-ButtKicker-Gamer/dp/B000AOTLP6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1226202006&sr=8-1

Rigor Mortis on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »

Its probably better to go with a buttkicker setup if you want speakers in your chair. I have yet to get one myself but, I've experienced the pleasures of it. It is something to behold.
    I found the world's ugliest office chair and installed a bass shaker transducer in it, and it basically turned a cheap subwoofer into a theater quality one. The chair was so ghastly that I couldn't not buy it. Seriously, it looked like everything wrong with the 70s was turned into a chair. It looked like this only as an office chair.

FreddyD on
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You can't lay down and doze off in the wee hours of a weekend morning while playing a leisurely-paced game, while sitting in a chair.

Therefore, the chair fails as a gaming peripheral.

Tiemler on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I have a generic floor rocker that I bought to game with, and after a week it went into the basement to never be seen again. Wasn't particularly comfortable, rocking often lead to turtling, and it traveled a lot when rocking. Sitting straight up was difficult, not to mention uncomfortable. If your TV isn't on a really low shelf or on the floor there's no point. Mine's wall mounted and was just too high up to enjoy. If you have the space, go buy yourself a comfy recliner.

steam_sig.png
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote:

This is what I like to call a win-win situation.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Wootloops wrote:
    It's about double what you want to pay, but Sumo Sacs are pretty damn comfortable for gaming or just a nap.

There's a bean bag chair there? All I'm seeing are boobs.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    What a seamless resurrection of a 3 year old thread. I'm genuinely impressed, guys.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    You can stop chatting with the spammer now.

This discussion has been closed.