As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Viva Piñata - OUT NOW! Commence the Whacking!

DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
Accualt jacked this thread to give it a proper OP.
Accualt wrote:
The game is OUT!
But it doesn't have assault rifles with chainsaws attached to them so hardly anyone has noticed.
Demo "not a demo" interactive video thing available on Live right now!

vivapinyatang1.jpg
Official Webpage - Enjoy the Music!

Oh man, what the hell is this?
About five years ago Microsoft bought Nintendo and this is their first love child. Viva Pinata is best described as an addictive* mix of Pokemon, Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, and all those other weird sims style games that feel oddly creepy. It will have over 60 species of pinata at launch and most likely plenty of others to purchase over live afterwards.

*May not be addictive.
Oh, and Rare, not Nintendo. My bad.

vivapinatascreen4ww1.jpg

Kiddy gayzors game, huh?
Yeah, sure, whatever. VP is being marketed towards kids, we all know that. How do we know? Because the cartoon tie-in is being made by 4Kids Entertainment and will be shown on 4Kids TV. There is suppose to be some interaction between the cartoon and game, what that is exactly we are unsure. Just tips? Maybe some codes? Clearly this game is four the children. That doesn't mean we manly adults can't have fun growing gardens full of colorful pinata creatures. I hear you have to protect them.

From candy starved kids with sticks?
No, that is for the Wii tie-in...because of the motion control.....and stick like look of the remote....

I'm sure someone thought that was funny, you clever man. Seriously, though, what are you protecting them from?

From sour Pinatas, of course! That means they are red and sour at the world. Kind of like violent emo kids who traded in their black goth clothing for red goth clothing. "Eat that purple mouse!"

06-08-08.jpg

Oh you also have to make sure species that naturally would want to fight or eat each other are separated otherwise they will kill each other. Players also need to breed the pinatas, get a male and female together and they dance until a baby pops out. Yes, Viva Pinata will teach your child many life values. No need for that birds and the bees talk anymore!

Huh...does it have any Live features?
Are you kidding? it is a Microsoft first-party game, of course it has live!
You can view other players gardens, you can send Pinatas to friends as gifts, you can be a sneaky turd and send someone a Sour pinata, and you can use chocolate coins to buy all kinds of items. You can even customize your pinata's name, which it will keep no matter where you ship it off to, along with buying items for your creatures. What items? Backpacks for portable shelter and bigger teeth for bigger eating! Dentures, score!
Let us not forget the Achievements. through which you can become a Master Romancer!

Those graphics don't look next gen. They don't even look real!
Well, hey, not everything is brown. Viva Pinata does have some amazing visuals, though. Someone gave Rare a giant box of crayons to play with. Don't just take my word for it, though, check out these screen shots. If you have a 360 check out the Viva Pinata marketplace section, it has two full episodes of the cartoon up and an "interactive video" of the game in action.

And we are out of questions because I used all seven colors of the rainbow. Discuss.

Viva Piñata commercial - Gold
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svg-DvNARKE

heh, its a pretty good one - and yeah yeah this woulda gone in linksville normally

edit: and i did spend a few searching for this first

Release date(s) November 9, 2006

for X360

Rare's new game

Deusfaux on

• Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    "pants that fit"

that made me laugh a little

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Wow this games looks...not good.

Decent commercial though.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    sunscreen for the ginger :P

also, those 2 brown boys look just like the 2 in the "music video" for Pi with those wizards and shit

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    :^:

What's the gameplay on this like anyway? The trailer makes it look sort of like Animal Crossing? May as well make this a thread for the game since it comes out on the tenth anyway.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Damn, I didnt read the title well enough, thought the game was gold.

Edit: Wait - is it? I didnt think it was coming out till next year.

Hensler on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Wow this games looks...not good.

Decent commercial though.

The hands on previews thus far have been really positive so, ya never know.

Aoi on
  • Options
    DralloDrallo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Neo Rasa wrote:

What's the gameplay on this like anyway? The trailer makes it look sort of like Animal Crossing? May as well make this a thread for the game since it comes out on the tenth anyway.

Its basically a Animal Crossing clone with a cartoon tie in.

Drallo on
    katamarisig.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Drallo wrote:
    Neo Rasa wrote:

And microtransactions.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Drallo wrote:
    Neo Rasa wrote:

Interesting. Originally I thought it was going to be more Pokémon oriented (wherein you'd collect or otherwise catalogue various sentient piñata for "gotta catch'em all" and "being the very best" purposes).

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Drallo wrote:
    Neo Rasa wrote:

Interesting. Originally I thought it was going to be more Pokémon oriented (wherein you'd collect or otherwise catalogue various sentient piñata for "gotta catch'em all" and "being the very best" purposes).

It's actually more like that mixed with The Sims or Harvest Moon more than anything else. There's little to no actual connection with Animal Crossing at all :?

Aoi on
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    titmouse wrote:
    Drallo wrote:
    Neo Rasa wrote:

And microtransactions.

totally not mandatory nor does it replace cheat codes so this is a non issue

just point this out in case this confuses anyone

but yea, i don't really expect much from this game, but if it turns out great, i'll definitely check it out

nice commercial anyway

Ranced on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ... microtransactions?! Confirm/deny?

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Aoi wrote:
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Drallo wrote:
    Neo Rasa wrote:

It's actually more like that mixed with The Sims or Harvest Moon more than anything else. There's little to no actual connection with Animal Crossing at all :?

Well, that's a wrap then, later.

Neo Rasa on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hahahaha, that reminded me of the Matrix.

If you get me down from here, I'll show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    To throw out there what was said about gameplay from the last VP thread...
    Aoi wrote:
    syndalis wrote:
    So, how does it play?

You build a garden to attract piñatas to live in it. You make them grow and then you blow them up hitting them with your shovel, releasing candy that I guess you can use it to feed other piñatas.

How the hell is this a children game?
    Only if its compatible candy, I think.

Its an ecosystem game. You want worms to churn your soil, birds eat the worms, worms eat the dead birds, grass grows, sheep eat the grass... you get the idea.

The "candy" is the remains of the critter. Its a very polite way of handling death in an ecosystem.

Yeah you can also construct some buildings that will allow the piñatas do things like falling in love or something like that. There was a video where you saw two worm-like piñatas that went to some kind of disco to dance together and increase their, lets call it "friendship level".

Once you've attracted a certain kind of pinata and made them happy enough to stay in your garden you need to make them their own living space. Depending on the type it'll be desert, grass, water, tree, etc themed as well as a house for them to live and "mate" in.

There's a lot going on with the eco system too. Certain types feed off others naturally, some play out the flat out prey/hunter relationship so you need to keep an eye on what is going on around your garden, plan out how it is built up so as to not place opposing species too close to one another, etc.

You can also hire the equvilant to the underpants gnomes from Harvest Moon who can help you care for the garden, give you tips on how to build it up to keep them happy. Apparently there are various skill levels as well for the game to be played at so it is challenging for both children and adults.

There's also the online aspect. I'm not sure if it's in the game at launch or added later but there will be an aspect where people can visit each others gardens, help with the building/clearing. You can also send items you've bought in the games town (with the chocolate coins you earn in the game) to friends on your friends list, as well as if you want to be a total ass, you can knock out the sour pinatas, wrap em up like a present, and send them off to play havoc in your friend's garden. You won't know what they're sending you until you've opened it up.

There are also sour pinatas, each of the rather large list of pinatas have "wild/rabid" types that will wander in. You have to be careful as to how you take care of them though. You can wack them with your shovel, busting them open, but their candy can make your pinatas sick. You can knock em out and send them to a friend, but then you're an ass :twisted:, the more complicated way to handle them is to try (and I'm not sure how) to tame them and make them members of your garden.

It really sounds like an interesting game and I'm looking forward to it. The mix of Monster Rancher and Harvest Moon with a sprinkling of Sims really appeals to me personally and the newest impressions from X06 and TGS have been really positive.

Aoi on
  • Options
    EpiphyteEpiphyte Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Aoi wrote:
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Drallo wrote:
    Neo Rasa wrote:

Can you still evolve and breed the pinatas?

Epiphyte on
  • Options
    LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Heh, that was a good commercial. I'm impressed.

I can never listen to that voice actor (Dan Green, the pinata in the ad) without thinking of Yu-Gi-Oh, LOL.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Suckers.

I liked that ad.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hehehe.

"That was ACTING, children!"

KalTorak on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Aoi wrote:
    To throw out there what was said about gameplay from the last VP thread...
    Aoi wrote:
    syndalis wrote:
    So, how does it play?

You build a garden to attract piñatas to live in it. You make them grow and then you blow them up hitting them with your shovel, releasing candy that I guess you can use it to feed other piñatas.

How the hell is this a children game?
    Only if its compatible candy, I think.

Its an ecosystem game. You want worms to churn your soil, birds eat the worms, worms eat the dead birds, grass grows, sheep eat the grass... you get the idea.

The "candy" is the remains of the critter. Its a very polite way of handling death in an ecosystem.

Yeah you can also construct some buildings that will allow the piñatas do things like falling in love or something like that. There was a video where you saw two worm-like piñatas that went to some kind of disco to dance together and increase their, lets call it "friendship level".

Once you've attracted a certain kind of pinata and made them happy enough to stay in your garden you need to make them their own living space. Depending on the type it'll be desert, grass, water, tree, etc themed as well as a house for them to live and "mate" in.

There's a lot going on with the eco system too. Certain types feed off others naturally, some play out the flat out prey/hunter relationship so you need to keep an eye on what is going on around your garden, plan out how it is built up so as to not place opposing species too close to one another, etc.

You can also hire the equvilant to the underpants gnomes from Harvest Moon who can help you care for the garden, give you tips on how to build it up to keep them happy. Apparently there are various skill levels as well for the game to be played at so it is challenging for both children and adults.

There's also the online aspect. I'm not sure if it's in the game at launch or added later but there will be an aspect where people can visit each others gardens, help with the building/clearing. You can also send items you've bought in the games town (with the chocolate coins you earn in the game) to friends on your friends list, as well as if you want to be a total ass, you can knock out the sour pinatas, wrap em up like a present, and send them off to play havoc in your friend's garden. You won't know what they're sending you until you've opened it up.

There are also sour pinatas, each of the rather large list of pinatas have "wild/rabid" types that will wander in. You have to be careful as to how you take care of them though. You can wack them with your shovel, busting them open, but their candy can make your pinatas sick. You can knock em out and send them to a friend, but then you're an ass :twisted:, the more complicated way to handle them is to try (and I'm not sure how) to tame them and make them members of your garden.

It really sounds like an interesting game and I'm looking forward to it. The mix of Monster Rancher and Harvest Moon with a sprinkling of Sims really appeals to me personally and the newest impressions from X06 and TGS have been really positive.
    i believe this is where i chipped in with "so it is a little like Animal Crossing, in the way you interact with other players/characters and stuff"

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Anyone still have that Awesomesheep image?

Heck, does anyone here even still remember it? That meme deserved way better than it got.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Epiphyte wrote:
    Aoi wrote:
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Drallo wrote:
    Neo Rasa wrote:

Can you still evolve and breed the pinatas?

Breed them yes. As for evolving, kind of. There are apparently sub breeds that you can access through different factors like diet.

Aoi on
  • Options
    Robo BeatRobo Beat Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I probably would have been more amused if they listened to his whole spiel and then beat him open anyways.

Robo Beat on
    This is not the greatest sig in the world.
    This is just a tribute.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Robo Beat wrote:
    I probably would have been more amused if they listened to his whole spiel and then beat him open anyways.

20060317.jpg

Drallo on
    katamarisig.jpg
  • Options
    Robo BeatRobo Beat Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Drallo wrote:
    Robo Beat wrote:

[im]http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2006/20060317.jpg[/img]

LAWL

Robo Beat on
    This is not the greatest sig in the world.
    This is just a tribute.
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    When is this game actually out?

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    KyouKyou Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    FireWeasel wrote:
    It's out.

It also apparently has a lot of humor...not appropriate for children. Which is fine in most games, but they're like the opposite of subtle in this.

"Wow, I havent seen anything that purple and swollen since...I stubbed my toe"

Kyou on
    chatbanie5.jpgnowplayingwiiiiiyy2.gif
    Note: I dont have wireless set up yet so I wont be able to add you just yet.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    FireWeasel wrote:

You took the effort to find a week old thread and revive it rather than just google/wiki the game?

Today btw.

Drallo on
    katamarisig.jpg
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Gotta wait for 1st December for this over here.

Getting for Chrimbo.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Well, since the thread's been revived we should make the most of it. Has anyone else been exploring the brutal world or pinata?

Disclaimer: I am not opening charmap to find an nye at any point in this thread.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Drallo wrote:
    FireWeasel wrote:

You took the effort to find a week old thread and revive it rather than just google/wiki the game?

Today btw.

First: I did google it. Came up with no reliable info, and incidentally, I trust forumers more than IGN. Plus it took two seconds to use the Search, which, if I recall, is something that most people don't do enough around here. SO NYAH!

Second: If my suspicions WERE correct and it IS out, I wanted to stir discussion about the damn thing.

Now, let's make with the talking about living smashable creatures.

FireWeasel on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Havnt played it yet - but all the Gamestops and EBs around here have big ass pinata displays that are on a motion sensor and talk to you when you approach. Funny the first time, annoying as hell after that - their spiel lasts for a few minutes each time.

Hensler on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    Havnt played it yet - but all the Gamestops and EBs around here have big ass pinata displays that are on a motion sensor and talk to you when you approach. Funny the first time, annoying as hell after that - their spiel lasts for a few minutes each time.
    If they have baseball bat displays the problem will practically solve itself.

I thought the line, "Don't beat em, join em" was pretty clever. Otherwise, the commercial wasn't that entertaining.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    Final_BossFinal_Boss Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm probably gonna pick this up sometime this weekend assuming I can find it. Should be a nice distraction from stomping faces in Gears. Plus, it might just be the leverage needed for one of my friends to convince his wife that they should get a 360 so I have another person to stomp said faces with.

Final_Boss on
    360 & Steam: InfinityPrime
    PSN: Infinity_Prime
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Final_Boss wrote:
    I'm probably gonna pick this up sometime this weekend assuming I can find it. Should be a nice distraction from stomping faces in Gears. Plus, it might just be the leverage needed for one of my friends to convince his wife that they should get a 360 so I have another person to stomp said faces with.

Animal Crossing-type games are the perfect spousal gateway drug.

This just so happens to be a handy next-gen style gateway drug.

I swear the girlfriend is more excited about this than I am.

FireWeasel on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    FireWeasel wrote:
    Final_Boss wrote:

Yeah, she's already a big Animal Crossing/Harvest Moon fan. This should be a no brainer...

Final_Boss on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    FireWeasel wrote:
    Final_Boss wrote:

They eat the candy of their own kind... They mate with their own children... I'm... this game is weird O_o

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Aoi wrote:
    FireWeasel wrote:
    Final_Boss wrote:

They eat the candy of their own kind... They mate with their own children... I'm... this game is weird O_o
    Sounds like West Virginia...

Final_Boss on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Final_Boss wrote:
    Aoi wrote:
    FireWeasel wrote:
    Final_Boss wrote:

Sounds like West Virginia...

:lol:
    Seriously though, odd game. The first half hour is basically a tutorial of course. Not much past that yet.

Aoi on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    360 commercials are so awesome. First the invisible gun combat one, now this.

Mai-Kero on