As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Simple circuits to construct

RHerms716RHerms716 Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all, I've been wanting to start constructing some simple circuits, mostly to practice soldering and whatnot. Anyone have any ideas for fun/useful circuits I can make? Also, where does one get all of the needed components? Thanks!

RHerms716 on

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You may want to look into one of those learning kits, that are about $70. They have an electronic breadboard, a book with a bunch of different circuits, and all the components you'd need for them. You can get one at Radio Shack, or a similar store. Won't help with soldering, but you can always build them on a board later after you've gotten familiar with the design.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    They also sell little kits that are basically complete circuits with detailed instructions on what to solder where. Those include PCBs (printed circuit boards) with slots for the appropriate components. Just go to Fry's or something, they're fairly cheap. Radio shack sells some circuit stuff, but it's usually expensive and their selection really sucks. Check online or the phone book for an electronics outlet store...or go to Fry's.

grungebox on
    Quail is just hipster chicken
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Make yourself a remote Wii sensor bar.

If you, like, have a Wii.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Buy some kits from my friend. She's got some pretty good stuff. The POV's are pretty cool.

Edit:: Fixed the link. Sorry.

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Check out Make, you can get it wherever magazines are sold. They have plans for simple electronics and will tell you everything you need. They're online as well.

It's a quarterly mag and kind of pricey but you can take a look before you buy. Last issue was spy tech.

edit: Above link is broken, "fruit" not "fruiut". There are some cool kits on there though.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    RHerms716RHerms716 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for all the replies so far, I think I might try to make one of those POVs. I also checked out websites like make and instructables, and both had some pretty neat ideas. Maybe if my first attempt is successful, Ill try to make one of those faraday flashlights I see instructions for everywhere...

RHerms716 on
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The joule thief is a pretty useful simple little circuit.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Make a double-bass pedal circuit for Rock Band. Schematic here:

http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4801

Marty81 on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Led display circuits are most likely what you would like to do, they are fairly simple and provide you with a good amount of targets to practice your soldering.

Peas on