As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [chat] and Catastrophe

1383940414244»

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    and the signless intersection.
    Ok am I reading this correctly. Intersections with no stop signs, right of ways, or lights?
    Yes. There are also roundabouts, which I totally get behind as probably the best way to deal with low-volume intersections, but I'm talking about intersections without any signage whatsoever. Frankly, it's frightening. I mean, they're generally in low-traffic residential areas, but still.

Thanatos on
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    Nevada and Alaska are the states with the fewest google searches for "Kant"

I kant believe it.

Somebody Hi5 me!

I was considering posting that, but decided it was too awful to put on the internet.

Cinders on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I mean I don't love Beck; but, he's great to listen to while studying.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    West Virginia has the most, largely due to the widespread misspelling of "can't"

Take that, West Virginia

Elendil on
    edited November 2008
    The way some intersections are constructed, it's possible that you believe it looks clearly safe, when in reality it isn't.

And like I said, not all states use it for that purpose; some of them just use it to more clearly delineate the signal for the right turn lane from the other signals, or more clearly mark that the rightmost lane is, in fact, right turn only.

Fair enough

With your second point though, arrows on the road, plus green arrows instead of red ones, which I've actually seen, should work for that point.
    There's no significant price difference between a red arrow for a traffic light and a red circle, so why not use the one that is more clear?

Thanatos on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Wow, that guy didn't last long.

ViolentChemistry on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Traffic Circles forever. Fucking 4-way intersections suck ass.

Alecthar on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ok am I reading this correctly. Intersections with no stop signs, right of ways, or lights?
    Yes. There are also roundabouts, which I totally get behind as probably the best way to deal with low-volume intersections, but I'm talking about intersections without any signage whatsoever. Frankly, it's frightening. I mean, they're generally in low-traffic residential areas, but still.

Okay roundabouts scare the hell out of me. I had to traverse one to get to a gym I considered training at and it blew my mind. I honestly thought they were strictly european.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

What guy?

Alecthar on
    edited November 2008
    Okay roundabouts scare the hell out of me. I had to traverse one to get to a gym I considered training at and it blew my mind. I honestly thought they were strictly european.
    They're a miracle of traffic engineering, and if we'd use them way more in the U.S. than we do, we wouldn't have anywhere near as much traffic as we do.

And they're far, far less scary than an intersection with no signage whatsoever.

Thanatos on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Can you point me to the highlights of his tenure?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Roundabouts is a whole other issue, which mainly comes down to most Americans not understanding them from lack of need. To have intersections like that though. Fuck it I'd move.

DeShadowC on
    edited November 2008

Roundabouts are awesome, at least they are in Germany. Of course, Germany has a right of way system that is much more effective than ours, as well as drivers who don't suck.

But seriously, roundabouts manage traffic flow much better than the traditional (dangerous) 4-way intersection.

Alecthar on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Double-lane traffic circles can suck a dick.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My dad has this great ability to completely forget he's watched something before. Sports, movies, everything. He's rewatching the pats-dolphins game and going "uh-oh" and yeah!!!! Sometimes I worry he's gonna have autism.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited November 2008
    They're a miracle of traffic engineering, and if we'd use them way more in the U.S. than we do, we wouldn't have anywhere near as much traffic as we do.

And they're far, far less scary than an intersection with no signage whatsoever.

I don't think I've ever been at an intersection I wouldn't have preferred to see as a traffic circle.

Alecthar on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My dad has this great ability to completely forget he's watched something before. Sports, movies, everything. He's rewatching the pats-dolphins game and going "uh-oh" and yeah!!!! Sometimes I worry he's gonna have autism.

do you mean alzheimers?

I wish I could do that on command. To rewatch something exciting... would be great.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited November 2008
    Double-lane traffic circles can suck a dick.

Nut up, Zen.

Alecthar on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2008
    I never realized how weird Americans were about roundabouts until they built one on campus and everyone started complaining. Those things are awesome.

Sanssouci, 1747.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited November 2008
    I'd kinda like a [chat], I've got one I like, but it probably would be kinda obscure in a way.

Alecthar on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    I never realized how weird Americans were about roundabouts until they built one on campus and everyone started complaining. Those things are awesome.

Sanssouci, 1747.

We have one around here, its a five way intersection that's a "major" shopping center.

DeShadowC on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Alecthar wrote: »

What guy?

Shoon.

ViolentChemistry on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Variable wrote: »

do you mean alzheimers?

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I wonder if he wandered over from Crosswalk.

Speaker on
    edited November 2008
    snipe snipe snipe

Elendil on
    edited November 2008
    Gooooooo....

Edit: Suck it, Elendil!

Alecthar on
    edited November 2008
    Damnation

Elendil on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2008
    20040105h.jpg
    Tycho wrote:
    It just seemed like it was about time to bring him back - we've been working on a lot of longer form projects lately, and I guess it sort of bled over. We still have that Penny Arcade animated series pilot laying around, if Gabe is open to working with this kind of screen real estate maybe I can get him into it. I also have a script for a story that takes place in a wild west version of the Jewish holy book, the Torah.

I noticed at EvilAvatar that Underworld - the werewolf vampire hybrid love story movie thing - was hitting stores this week, meaning that White Wolf apparently didn't get what it wanted out of the courts. Most of the dramatics took place on message boards or in my e-mail, but know now that I was told "what for" regarding this strip and post by every fancy lad capable of the English language. There was even the occasional dark invocation, written in either Latin or some nonsense vampire script. I honestly don't mind.

The grim irony ("tak'shas," in the tongue of The Kindred) of the whole thing is that, trust me - you don't want to imply that anything you like is connected with Underworld. You don't want to let stand even the vaguest assertion in that direction. Because while Underworld is better than Dental Work, it's not better to any significant degree. Some of the elements are well visualized. Though the action setpieces are fairly sparse, they have some decent touches. It's firmly situated in Rental Country. But as a whole, I don't think it's any better than what happens at any given kitchen table, or park, when players get together for their own games. I'm perfectly familiar with the transformative power inherent in pen-and-paper, and even (God help me) Live Action. So when I fuck with you guys about it, it's probably best to take it as fraternal.

I was shocked to find that Silent Storm's publisher wanted to advertise here, but they're certainly allowed to. The demo, which I wrote an extemporaneous poem about, is much fancier fare than one usually gets as a proponent of turn-based strategy.

(CW)TB out.

earth they must invade

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.