As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Travel Websites and Deals; Suggestions to Mex

powersspowerss Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
My girlfriend and I are looking to book a realtively low-cost trip to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, from California. Probably leaving SFO international.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a very good price, besides Travelocity and Expedia? Should I really talk to a travel agent?

Anyone own a place in Mexico we can rent for cheap? :-)

We're looking at January 2007, 8th through the 12th.

powerss on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Check Oakland, too. Parking is way cheaper, and it may very well be cheaper to fly out of there.

As for travel sites, www.southwest.com and www.orbitz.com are my standbys. If JetBlue flies into Cabo San, try them, too.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Thanks man!

We're really looking for full packages, just Hotel and Airfaire. I don't want to try to coordinate the logistics of both :)

powerss on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    powerss wrote:
    Thanks man!

We're really looking for full packages, just Hotel and Airfaire. I don't want to try to coordinate the logistics of both :)
    Both of those sites sell hotel/airfare packages.

www.sidestep.com is another good one to try.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sounds like your semi-anti websites, but I have had good luck on Priceline, booking both individual items and packages.

Best way is to do some researxch on generally what all it shoud cost, then go to Prceline and see what you can find.

I will say if you see a good deal on any site, take it, because multiple times I've seen a trip for say $500, then the next morning it was like $1100. I swear they screw with people on purpose.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Just be careful using the third party websites for booking hotel rooms. I make reservations for Marriott and we get this shit all the time. Sure, you'll likely save money going with travelocity and what not (you usually do), but you have to pay upfront (usually), can't cancel, and generally can't change your nights to either reduce or extend your reservation. And, you don't have control over your options like they make it seem you do. I can't tell you how many times I get people calling to confirm reservations only to let them know that no, there are no rooms with two queen beds and no, the room type you booked does not have a view of the water at all. And no, I can't change anything for you; you'll have to try to go through the third party itself.

So, my point is, you'll likely save money on hotel rooms with the third party website, but you won't have the flexibility, options, and cancellation policies that are provided by going through the hotel itself.

Also, sometimes it ends up that Priceline and their ilk will cost more than the current promotions running at the hotel property due to slow seasons, unexpected downturns in customers, etc. Priceline and the others buy rooms in bulk from the hotels and then resell them to you, so they might get a "good" rate when they bought the rooms in January, but when you're booking to go in December, the hotel has realised that they need to fill up the rooms and drop their prices a bunch. Don't just assume the third party discount sites are cheaper--shop around and compare. If an agent gives you shit or attitude about only shopping for prices and not booking, most companies have some way to express your displeasure with your service. Use it. (Conversely, if you get good service, report that too ;))

Good luck with your trip. As for online sites, I don't have any advice there, but I trust Thanatos.

LaOs on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Kayak.com has a search engine that goes through all the websites and actual main carriers. However, if I were you - I would look into a travel agency. I booked tickets in December to Japan, and saved about 300-400 dollars off my ticket (came in just 9 bucks over 1K versus 1439 for the date I put in on Kayak).

I would go to LonelyPlanet.com and TripAdvisor.com and post on the forums for any travel agencies that have a web presence.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend